Malignant Movie Review & Comments

If you view this as a Seattle-set Giallo film (which is clearly the horror sub-genre Wan is going for), the execution in terms of style, performances etc makes more sense, albeit one that is unlikely to win over anyone who wasn't a fan of it to begin with. Honestly, I rather enjoyed it but can completely understand why it misses the mark for the majority.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed it from the 80's horror nods to the daft soundtrack. My expectations for this type of film are pretty low so I had a blast. I kept expecting Jeffery Coombs to make an appearance. It won't win any Oscars, except for Best WTF Moment, but for what it sets out to do I'd rate it a 7.

Absolutely loved this! As a fan of 80’s horror this was right up my street.
Edit, had to add probably my favourite film I’ve seen all year, struckman hits the nail firmly on the head below in his review. It’s amazing that this film actually got made given the studios predictable fare.
Awesome!

Last edited:
Late to the party but I just got back from this and it’s an absolute blast. Mainstream horror entertainment at it’s best. I’m a big fan of indie and so called ‘elevated horror’, but sometimes it’s nice to get a pure unadulterated supernatural slasher in the tradition of old school boogeyman films- but with a wonderfully icky twist. Silly, yes, but I loved it. Wan’s best film in the genre so far. 7.5/10. Nah, screw it: 8.

Late to the party but I just got back from this and it’s an absolute blast. Mainstream horror entertainment at it’s best. I’m a big fan of indie and so called ‘elevated horror’, but sometimes it’s nice to get a pure unadulterated supernatural slasher in the tradition of old school boogeyman films- but with a wonderfully icky twist. Silly, yes, but I loved it. Wan’s best film in the genre so far. 7.5/10. Nah, screw it: 8.

A better male lead, and putting the
chase sequence right at the beginning, and basically skipping to the bonkers second half would have defo made me feel better about watching it again. At the moment, I can imagine skipping to the midway point because the first half just feels like a (perhaps intentionally) bad, bland movie
. I see the Mandy comparison though, just think that established itself better, and -ironically - less DTV movie in its first half.

A better male lead, and putting the
chase sequence right at the beginning, and basically skipping to the bonkers second half would have defo made me feel better about watching it again. At the moment, I can imagine skipping to the midway point because the first half just feels like a (perhaps intentionally) bad, bland movie
. I see the Mandy comparison though, just think that established itself better, and -ironically - less DTV movie in its first half.

Yeah I get the sense (as I'm sure you do too) that all of that is deliberate. The TV movie performances; by-the-numbers tropes; gonzo score at key moments; scenery chewing script ("ITS TIME TO CUT OUT THE CANCER") are all meant to be part of it's throwback charm. Same goes for having a cast of mostly unknown or low key performers (except the ubiquitous-rightly so- McKenna Grace). Definitely going for the Bee-ist of B movie vibes. That said, the eagle eyed among us no doubt spotted Zoe Bell and Patricia Velazquez in small roles.

I'll be very interested to watch it again with full knowledge of what's to come and seeing how differently it plays out.

If you view this as a Seattle-set Giallo film (which is clearly the horror sub-genre Wan is going for), the execution in terms of style, performances etc makes more sense, albeit one that is unlikely to win over anyone who wasn't a fan of it to begin with. Honestly, I rather enjoyed it but can completely understand why it misses the mark for the majority.
Very heavily influenced by Dario Argento. Especially Trauma (1993), one of Argento's films messed with by US producers (even though it happens to keep some fun moments).

I turned it off after 30 mins or so!

giphy (2).gif

Well I didn't like this at all. Watched it last night. The 4k PQ was nice. With some lovely gory bits. I wasn't sure what to make of it at first...I've never seen it, but thought I was watching something along the lines of Scary Movie.

Just stupid, poorly scripted and acted. And stupid.

Although I do now want to visit Seattle.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom