Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the Review Cas. Saw the original fairly recently, so this is straight on the Rental List - the first one was so spot on & ended so correctly, I can see that it would be hard to match it.

Hi Cas
I know the tech went out a few years ago but is there any chance of you doing some 3D reviews of current films (thats if you have the gear) there still a strong following for the format on the forum.

This was the first time I went to my local IMAX and they were only showing the 2D version. I wonder if the cinemas are now phasing 3D out. I'll always keep my 3D OLED. The 3D was perfect on it. The 4K HDR version of this was stunning.

Part one was a little better but I've enjoyed both. They also have great HDR picture quality and decent Atmos effects.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoyed this, although wasn’t the role of the Queen, Aurora’s future Mother in Law rather than a Step-Mum?

Hi Cas
I know the tech went out a few years ago but is there any chance of you doing some 3D reviews of current films (thats if you have the gear) there still a strong following for the format on the forum.

I don't think any of us have the gear anymore, unfortunately. Without a 4K/3D TV, it would be largely impractical for me; that converted garage cinema with projector is still but a dream.

Great movie sequel, completely predictable, exactly what you expect but nevertheless thoroughly enjoyable. Probably better then the first, even more escapism, a good old queen rumble at the end.
8.7/10

I watched the 3D Blu-ray back to back with the original the other night, although I saw the 4K Blu-ray a couple of weeks back too.

Personally I would say the 3D is pretty similar to the original; A nice sense of depth throughout, but not a huge amount of pop-out, and no gimmick shots. Most of the better stuff takes place during the fight towards the end. If you like 3D, you'll enjoy it, but it's not something you'll be demoing to convince people what they're missing out on. It's not like recent 3D Blu-rays have been terrible, but most of the more impressive titles were done years ago; there just isn't the desire by studios to really spend much time/effort on this, unless you're James Cameron. Truth be told, and as someone who loves 3D, I think the 4K Blu-ray impressed me more here.

As for the movie, I loved it. having watched the original for the first time in ages again, I still prefer it; it's a much tighter movie, the cinematography is better (imo) and the JNH's soundtrack is incredibly good. In fairness to Geoff Zanelli, trying to top the original's score was always going to be very difficult if not impossible. It's mostly a "JNH's Greatest Hits" score; re-using lots of his cues from the original movies, but expanded upon. There's original music though and some of it is really good, so I've no complaints there. One thing that did surprise me was the humour, it's much more light-hearted in places than the original, which is no bad thing, and it works for the most part. Maleficent has some great lines, it's just a shame we don't see so much of Diaval or the Fairies. Michelle Pfeiffer was a highlight and the visual scale of this film makes something like Aladdin (2019) look like a Broadway Musical production in comparison, they did a great job there.

I watched the 3D Blu-ray back to back with the original the other night, although I saw the 4K Blu-ray a couple of weeks back too.

Personally I would say the 3D is pretty similar to the original; A nice sense of depth throughout, but not a huge amount of pop-out, and no gimmick shots. Most of the better stuff takes place during the fight towards the end. If you like 3D, you'll enjoy it, but it's not something you'll be demoing to convince people what they're missing out on. It's not like recent 3D Blu-rays have been terrible, but most of the more impressive titles were done years ago; there just isn't the desire by studios to really spend much time/effort on this, unless you're James Cameron. Truth be told, and as someone who loves 3D, I think the 4K Blu-ray impressed me more here.

As for the movie, I loved it. having watched the original for the first time in ages again, I still prefer it; it's a much tighter movie, the cinematography is better (imo) and the JNH's soundtrack is incredibly good. In fairness to Geoff Zanelli, trying to top the original's score was always going to be very difficult if not impossible. It's mostly a "JNH's Greatest Hits" score; re-using lots of his cues from the original movies, but expanded upon. There's original music though and some of it is really good, so I've no complaints there. One thing that did surprise me was the humour, it's much more light-hearted in places than the original, which is no bad thing, and it works for the most part. Maleficent has some great lines, it's just a shame we don't see so much of Diaval or the Fairies. Michelle Pfeiffer was a highlight and the visual scale of this film makes something like Aladdin (2019) look like a Broadway Musical production in comparison, they did a great job there.
I was about to tag you in this post with a witty comment about your Disney fetish.
I see there is no need as you already posted a tl;dr :laugh: :love: :love:

Part one was a little better but I've enjoyed both. They also have great HDR picture quality and decent Atmos effects.
I didn't like the first one, so may skip this. Btw, what's a 'baby' ZD9?? 55"?

Hi Cas
still have my samsung 3d 65 inch curved tv love watching 3d got quite a few black panther aquaman gravity mad max alita stopped collecting now as i have 4k 75 inch in my cinema room when i want to watch 3d use the bedroom

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom