Question Male/Female banana connector for power cables?

Sgt Hartman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Building up HT I have the necessity to place 4 stands for each surround speakers (see attached image).

However, this layout occupy a lot of space and ideally I would like to be able move/place the stands when not necessary. Since power cables will pass under the carpet I was wondering if it might be a good idea to place an intermediate male/female connector in order to easily plug/unplug the speakers. Is it feasible or this might create a problem from the power supply or sound quality point of view?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Surrounds.PNG
    Surrounds.PNG
    760.9 KB · Views: 51
Do you mean speaker cables or actual electrical power cables? Your question is somewhat ambiguous.

Do you mean speaker cables or actual electrical power cables? Your question is somewhat ambiguous.
Sorry, I'll try to make myself more clear. As standard we make a connection between speaker and AVR/Amplifier with power cables, my idea was to "break" the cable in between but installing a male/female connector, in order to remove the stand with the speaker whenever I want. I hope I made myself clearer.

I'm still at a lose to understand you. To me a power cable carries mains electric. An amp to speaker would be connected with standard speaker wire or interconnects via pre-outs to active speakers. If the speaker is connected by standard speaker wire then they could be connected by male and female adaptors, this could result in a slight loss of audio performance. Same goes for interconnects which should come with better quality fitments.

Cables carrying an electrical supply requires a insulated connector.

Loudspeakers - is there no option to put them on your walls?

Loudspeakers - being an ‘open plan‘ area it is tricky to achieve surround sound effects, you may want to consider sticking with a 2.0/2.1 system and use your budget to optimise that arrangement.

Joe

It is usually best to avoid using ‘power’ cables or plugs for anything other than carrying power or you risk confusing folk and creating the potential for danger.

Use loudspeaker cable and yes you can use 4mm Banana Female and Male connectors to allow you to deploy and pack away loudspeakers.

Joe

Loudspeakers - is there no option to put them on your walls?
No, only the lateral left surround ( to ber more precise bookshelf speaker) has this option, no chances for the others.
Loudspeakers - being an ‘open plan‘ area it is tricky to achieve surround sound effects, you may want to consider sticking with a 2.0/2.1 system and use your budget to optimise that arrangement.
Not an option, I the past I had a 5.1 system and results where quite good.
It is usually best to avoid using ‘power’ cables or plugs for anything other than carrying power or you risk confusing folk and creating the potential for danger.

Use loudspeaker cable and yes you can use 4mm Banana Female and Male connectors to allow you to deploy and pack away loudspeakers.
I understand the risks but at the same I don't see many chances to get confuse between red and black.
Thanks for your feedback!

I'm still at a lose to understand you. To me a power cable carries mains electric. An amp to speaker would be connected with standard speaker wire or interconnects via pre-outs to active speakers. If the speaker is connected by standard speaker wire then they could be connected by male and female adaptors, this could result in a slight loss of audio performance. Same goes for interconnects which should come with better quality fitments.

Cables carrying an electrical supply requires a insulated connector.
Maybe I see where I gave you a wrong idea, I called them power cables (since I call them like this in Italy), what I meant are the normal speaker cables, loudspeaker cable...
1573322048262.png

Maybe I see where I gave you a wrong idea, I called them power cables (since I call them like this in Italy), what I meant are the normal speaker cables, loudspeaker cable...
View attachment 1217585
Clear now. You can connect but as I said previously there may be a slight loss of audio quality. You can use in-line connectors, commonly known as chocolate blocks here in the UK. Screws will firmly hold the wire in place and I've used them in the past but not with quality kit. You can also get spring loaded blocks but I would not use those under a carpet.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
‘Quite good’ 5.1 vs decent 2.0/2.1 - I’d go with the latter every time!

If you must go with 5.1 have a look at flat speaker cable for under your carpets.

Joe

Clear now. You can connect but as I said previously there may be a slight loss of audio quality. You can use in-line connectors, commonly known as chocolate blocks here in the UK.
We call them "mammut"... :D
It's not ideal but I would be prefer a slight loss of quality, I'm searching more for a "plug & play" solution since also my wife has to perform the operation and she's not exactly a pro.

‘Quite good’ 5.1 vs decent 2.0/2.1 - I’d go with the latter every time!

If you must go with 5.1 have a look at flat speaker cable for under your carpets.
Quite good given the items, a set of Wharfedale Diamond and an average H/K AVR, but movies where really enjoyable with a marked surround effect. Being a movie lover no 7.1 is like grape's juice... :laugh:
Since you mentioned, any recommendation for flat cables?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I've used 2 pin automotive connectors that could take 2.5mm² cable to provide a quick release connection for a movable centre speaker before.

I actually bought a few for a solar panel installation on my van so had spares.

As long as the terminals and pins are large enough it didn't make any difference to my ears. The ones I used looked a bit like this one but could take cable up to 4mm². The tabs on the connector make it impossible to plug in the wrong way.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all for the kind advice, you gave me several ideas!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom