Malcolm in the Middle v The Simpsons

Which family-based comedy do you think is consistently funnier?

• Malcolm in the Middle

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • The Simpsons

Votes: 16 59.3%

• Total voters

godzilla

Ok, this may start the Mother of All Flame Wars!
I have enjoyed the Simpsons for years and love its subversive and usually quite adult humour. However in the last few months I have been Sky+ing Malcolm in the Middle and have to conclude that, whilst obviously different, it is the superior programme.

The acting is uniformly superb with Bryan Cranston as Hal being particularly worthy of an Emmy IMO, he is hilarious in ways that Homer is not capable of being!
All the child actors are brilliant and I love the way they are willing be politically incorrect when it comes to Stevie's character who is a chronic asthmatic in a wheelchair.

Fantastically written and always makes me laugh out loud, are there any other Malcolm fans out there who also rate it higher than the Simpsons?

Battle

Im afraid i wont decide between the two - they are both equally good for different reasons

The Simpsons is just plain turn your brain off damn funny, while Malcolm in the Middle is engage your brain thinking humour.

I enjoy both varieties in equal doses at different times

The simpsons has droped to quality I cant watch it is worse then terrible but the first 6 seasons were pure gold. Malcolm is a very clever comedy and is to different to compare I like them both but the simpsons gets more laughs

MartinImber

I like MITM as well

chrislad

While I like both, I would prefer to watch Malcolm in the Middle now as the Simpsons, I feel, is getting stale. It's had it's time, it's run for a long, long time and now all ideas are close to exhausted.

Personally, I think we should get Fox to bring back Futurama. If ever a series was cancelled out of fear of upsetting the Simpsons, this was it. It was funnier than the Simpsons, so Fox cut it because it could take viewers away from The Simpsons. Tragic.

godzilla

Totally agree about Futurama. Matt Groening should have stuck to his guns and refused to do more Simpsons unless Futurama was reinstated. :mad:

socrates1

I vote for the Simpsons. MITM was good initially, but the constant shouting and screaming from Lois does my head in at this stage.

godzilla

Kilian Collins said:
I vote for the Simpsons. MITM was good initially, but the constant shouting and screaming from Lois does my head in at this stage.
Lois is incredibly annoying, but she is supposed to be. Hal just gets me laughing every time! Reese is also a classic creation.
Unlike the Simpsons though, this family ages like any real one and it will be interesting to see how long they can keep up the quality as the boys get older.

Any idea when we are due to get series 6 over here?

Just watched this week's new Simpsons episode and it didn't even raise a chuckle. A really tragic decline in writing and it should be replaced by Futurama ASAP.

chrislad

It's gotten to the stage with The Simpsons that I don't even bother to watch the new episodes. I never even think to watch them anymore, nor do I even want them on DVD. Not for anything would I sell my Futurama boxset.

Battle

The new episode where Bart has a heartattack and they then redo titles with an alternative start was hillarious

Pbryanw

Agree on all the points raised. Old Simpsons was good, new Simpsons not so good. Comparing a live action sitcom to a cartoon's not really fair I believe though. Against other recent, live action, still on air, sitcoms I'd say MITM is the best.

Have to say I now prefer MITM to Simpsons as I love the surreal humor and the kids who aren't cuddly, wholesome types like in some American sitcoms. I also like the Francis bits which provide a bit of escape from Lois et al, a highlight of recently, was the Bull insemination scene.

Trending threads

Top Bottom