1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Makro mail

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by av2diefor, Jul 13, 2005.

1. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,054
  3. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked on the samsung site and drew a blank also, anyone know if its any good?

4. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see there is a thread on this already ;)

Poor reviews so far so ................. :thumbsdow

5. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Poor reviews re: Makro, or poor reviews re: the tv?

I would agree with the former, but not the latter. I got one of these from Makro and my initial impressions are excellent, I am still waiting for the stand before I set it up and appraise it properly. At the price it is an absolute steal. I think there may be problems with availability now at Makro. They were literally being pounced on as they came off the lorries.

I believe the official launch date is next week so there may be more info on the Samsung UK site then. Dunno how Makro got them so quickly.

6. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thread reports bad pq on sky and certain "blockiness"

Are they hd ready, and have you tried it on sky?

7. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is HD ready.

I haven't tried it on Sky yet, I watched several hours of DVD and terrestrial (via the aerial) and they were excellent.

8. knightsyr

knightsyr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dg tal ,, have you got your sky connected direct to your samsung . and does it need to be. mine runs through the house and i pick it up on that every thing else im watching through coax aerial and its fine

9. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What exactly do you pick up?

10. knightsyr

knightsyr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i pick up all sky channels i have aerial splitter in the loft sending sky throughout also normal aerial in tv which gives out good pq :D

11. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you have rf2 out for the sky box, going to the loft,then into a amp and distributed this way?

If so this is the worst way to connect for pq.

Its great for multiroom viewing but for the main tv, a direct connection might surprise you :D

12. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be connecting my sky box directly to the TV. I think when you amplify / distribute a signal it always suffers.

One thing to bear in mind is that as with all these types of sets (like projectors) you need to do some fine tuning of settings to get the best pic for you, for each source. I imagine it may be a good idea to tame colour and contrast for Sky. Sorry can't offer more advice as it is something I've not even tried yet and the telly is back in the wrapper for now.

13. BlueBarry

BlueBarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Reasonably new to all this and looking to pick myself up a DLP set. Had been looking at the Sagem HD-D45 but a similar TV at just £1k would be a real bonus financially (just got married and moved house!).

Couple of questions though:-

Is this set just being released to the UK market? If so in your opinion will it be pitched at roughly this price when more retailers have it or do you think I should try and grab one now?

Also, the bulk of my viewing will be through Sky. Do the problems some people are experiencing with watching Sky through this set sound like issues that could be resolved?

Lastly, I realise not a great deal is known about this set yet but what do you estimate the bulb life would be and the availability/cost of a replacement?

Many thanks
    BB

14. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats BlueBarry! ,, From what i've picked up Curry's have it or very shortly will for about £1500 to £1600 and likewise Comet, so if you can still find it for the £1K (+VAT) then it's a good deal, but do research the retailer if buying online. Price isn't everything.

The DLP TV price points have just come down, as such I wouldn't think they'll drop again for a while.

According to Samsung lamp life is 'a minimum 8000 hours' which is v.good, if true. They cost about £250.

I'm hoping to set up the tv again imminently and will see what pic I get with my Sky box. Now if I can just get the stand!.. :rolleyes:

15. BlueBarry

BlueBarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks DGtal.

Do you think I'm too late to get one in Makro?

Cheers
    B

16. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Where have you seen this lamp-life quoted? According to an email I've got from Samsung, the previous model (SP46L3HX) has a lamp life of 45000 hours, so I'd be surprised if the new model has lamp life that's so short.

And yes, Comet are currently selling this set online for £1277+vat (see www.comet.co.uk).

17. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'd lay money that whoever at Samsung wrote that email is completely wrong. 8,000 seems more likely for a projection lamp. 45k is more like the lifespan of an LCD backlight. I guess whoever wrote it doesn't know the difference.

18. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Yes, I understand what you're saying, but we now have two reports of Samsung quoting 30000 and 45000 hour lamp life on two of their models, and Sagem quoting 100000 hours for the Axium HD-D56B. I do wonder whether manufacturers are re-assessing lamp-life in light of real-world experience.

19. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Time (*) will tell.

(*) either 8k or 45k or 100k hours (etc), to be precise.

20. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's on the Samsung U.S. site in a support FAQ. Here we go:

'The 100-watt Ultra-High Pressure Lamp Samsung uses in its DLP sets has a life of over 8,000 hours. This translates to 4 years at 6 hours of viewing a day, or 6 years at 3.5 hours of viewing a day.'

21. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was the math's samsungs or your own?

22. cyberdaz

cyberdaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my picture thru sky is very good ,( i reduced the sharpness to soften the flicker on the "press the red button" logo on sky news) however i bought my TV to future proof n that , so hopefully early next year with the launch of skys' HD transmission we will make full use of the TVs technology.But before then the Xbox360 is HD ready and "DUE" in november 05 :thumbsup:

23. knightsyr

knightsyr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    m
    did u know to get hd tv you have to subscribe to it as well as having sky from reading on here i think were looking at same monthly charge again :mad: