• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Makro and Costco prices

mbriody

Standard Member
Anyone know how these two compare for prices?

I have membership of both but neither have local stores or online catalogues.

I'm looking for 40 or 42", trying not to pay more than £799.

Steve1951

Established Member
Hi
I cant comment on Costco but Makro were no cheaper than Curry or Comet.........(when you remember to add the VAT.)Thats on the branded products.

On some of the smaller screens they had some real odd ball brands so I couldnt compare.

I buy cat and dog food there but thats about it unless you want strange brands of TVs and power tools that you cant get elsewere.

Steve

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
You could always phone Costco up and they will tell you prices for models you are interested in. YOu'll need your membership number though.

marcstang

Prominent Member
COstco in Manchester had the following in :

Sony KDL-40S2530 (£822)
Tosh 37WLT58 (£857)
Tosh 42WLT58 (£1250ish)
37" Samsung (£860ish)

These are all I can remember. There were a few Sony 46" displays (eg W2000 for £1700 or 46S2530 for approx £1400).

All prices are inclusive of VAT and Costcos excellent 3 yr warranty.

ManicRobot

Established Member
I believe Makro & Costco buy "job lots" of goods when they can get their hands on them at the right price. This means they can't readily run an online retail system.

You just have to keep checking with them to see what they have in.

getdownmonkeyma

Established Member
Costco are similiar to the likes of sound and vision/internet retailers. The good thing about Costco is you get a three year guarantee in the price and their returns policy is here have your money, no quibbling.

Bagio

Standard Member
costco for tv's r far superior than makro price wise
if its a 40" tv u r then go for the sony 40" @ £822 with the vat

Snatch

Established Member
Also Costco's returns policy (or warranty - whichever way you want to look at it) is the best in the business! Head and shoulders above the rest! That includes JL!

marcstang

Prominent Member
I got the Sony 40" myself from costco the other day. Never had bought a TV from them before but have heard only good about their return policy. I know of people who have returned goods after the warranty had expired for a full refund. I suppose that's what you pay your yearly membership for. IMO you really can't beat them and at £822 the Sony is a steal, especially as it has exactly the same spec as the V2500.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I'd agree on the Costco returns policy. In fact, even if something isn't exactly a jaw-dropping bargain, that no-quibble attitude is worth a lot.

As the guy on the door said when I bought a TV for my neighbour.......even if she doesn't like the colour, just bring it back!

(She's happy, so I didn't need to).

markanali

Standard Member
COstco in Manchester had the following in :

Sony KDL-40S2530 (£822)
Tosh 37WLT58 (£857)
Tosh 42WLT58 (£1250ish)
37" Samsung (£860ish)

These are all I can remember. There were a few Sony 46" displays (eg W2000 for £1700 or 46S2530 for approx £1400).

All prices are inclusive of VAT and Costcos excellent 3 yr warranty.

I recently bought a 37" R series Samsung from Costco for £740. Maybe the £860 one is a higher spec. one......

M

masterwai

cant agree more with the comments. broight a samsung lcd from costco had it for 24 days simply decided i did like how the freeview tuner operated very slow. took it back and asked for a refund as i changed my mind.

get refund on the spot no questions asked. no snobby attitude you can get from most other stores. and also no sales pitch you want top try another have a look around see if you spot another set you like.

cant fault them. top marks for costco management. also the three years warranty is a bonus. :thumbsup:

apokalips

Standard Member
Anyone got a clue on the prices of the philips 9731 and 9641 models in 32 or 37 inches?

Also how can I join as I don't own a business etc. (Used an old business of my dad to sign up to Makro, however he chucked away those documents now!!)

Snatch

Established Member
I also think different Costco stores carry different stock..
Phoning is the best way to determine what they have..You have to be a member though..
With regards to membership, you can join as an individual member (not trade)..It'll cost around £25 (as opposed to £20 for trade)..To be honest there isn't any difference between the two, just longer shopping hours allowed for trade members...Just take two forms of id (bills) and you should be able to join on the spot!

marcstang

Prominent Member
I also think different Costco stores carry different stock..
Phoning is the best way to determine what they have..You have to be a member though..
With regards to membership, you can join as an individual member (not trade)..It'll cost around £25 (as opposed to £20 for trade)..To be honest there isn't any difference between the two, just longer shopping hours allowed for trade members...Just take two forms of id (bills) and you should be able to join on the spot!

For individual membership you need to fulfill one of the following criteria :

Current or retired employees of the local government, medical or health services, civil servants, banking/finance, education, fire/rescue, police or post office. You may also join as an individual member if you are a dentist, pharmacist, optician, solicitor/barrister/magistrate or advocate, chartered accountant or engineer.

Snatch

Established Member
"For individual membership you need to fulfill one of the following criteria :

Current or retired employees of the local government, medical or health services, civil servants, banking/finance, education, fire/rescue, police or post office. You may also join as an individual member if you are a dentist, pharmacist, optician, solicitor/barrister/magistrate or advocate, chartered accountant or engineer."

Thats the official line...however in the Watford branch, i know they are quite relaxed. It used to be fairly rigid at one time, not so much now..

marcstang

Prominent Member
In manchester they are a bit more stringent. They checked that the company I worked for was registered on their system and I had to produce my work ID card and proof of my chartered status.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom