1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making your own trailer show

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by iwilson, Dec 5, 2001.

1. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I posted most of this to another thread but it might be of interest to others.

Whenever I have friends over to watch a movie I download a few high res trailers of the internet mix them with a few DD and THX trailers using this program AVI screensaver and play them as an introduction just like the cinema. If you really want to get smart then take a look at Digital forge they will make an intro specially for your HC - or you can download some of their examples. You can also make your PC more wife friendly by having a shell load that looks like this

[​IMG]

There's also an open source application that does a little opening curtains routine - its a little rusty and only works on my PC at 1024 x 768. But its open source so any programmers out there feel free... you can find more info here

Anyway this should give you a few ideas.

Ian

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    This is a good idea!

Over at avsforum, phat phreddy is doing a similar thing with Talisman (IIRC) and has a few front end themes like this.

Trouble with me, is I'm a bit scared to go too far with my HTPC as it's kind a reliable.

It's just starting to get a bit 'glitchy', so i don't want to make it any worse.

It would be interesting to see how it's done though. I currently use a playlist to show some demo sequences such as The Matrix and Gladiator, but it's done via Windows, so won't be as good as using your one click front end.

Cheers.

Gary.

3. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gary, if you hang out at AVS then you´ll see posts by a guy called Cliff Watson. His company did the front end I showed. It´s not Talisman but a seperate little app that doesn´t install files all over the show. His program doesn´t replace the shell it just sits on top. If you click start Win98 it just exits into windows. Email Cliff for a copy - it´s called RKR.

The AVI screensaver is a little ripper. It uses whatever media players are installed on your system to play your clips, the beauty of it is it´s seamless, from one clip to another you don´t see any players starting up. You can save playlists, rescale the trailers etc. Just put a shortcut to it on your desktop and assign a hotkey to it. I use my pronto to fire it up, works a treat.

Rest assured neither of these programs with add any overhead to your system.

Ian

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Hi iwilson,

I have that file - I'd forgotten I had it. It was when there was a huge thread of 'me too's' to Cliffs offer, because he wasn't allowed to have it on his site as a download.

I'll have to dig it out. Is it easy to configure? Can you still use YXY with it?

Cheers.

Gary.

5. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where Can i get a shell like the one at the top?

6. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gary, its easy to use. As far as YXY goes, I´m not sure. I don´t use YXY, RKR just has a .ini file that points to whichever program you want to start when you click an icon.

pegFace - go to www.avsforum.com do a search for cliff watson and ask him nicely.

Ian

7. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been doing this for some time, it certainly adds to the cinema experience.
    What I have been after for ages is the Pearl and Dean intro to play as well as some cheesy ads, any one for Ki-ora?

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    You can get the P&D and KiaOra film adds on Super8 cine film (with sound) from Derann film services in Dudley.

You'll just need to get them onto a medium you can use on the PC.

HTH

Gary.