1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making your own screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by robjohn, Jul 6, 2004.

1. robjohn

robjohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Where can you get the material from to make your own screen? And is this going to be as good as buying a ceiling mounted screen...

Also I have read mention about dulux icestorm would this work on canvas?

Or is the best bet to just buy the proper material or a mounted screen??

Many thanks for any help :thumbsup:

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    If you're after making a fixed non retractable screen that hangs on the wall then go to your local curtain shop or Alders or similar, and ask for white 'blackout' cloth.

It's white cloth one side and white vinyl the other (colour can vary, but make sure you get the whitest one). You build a frame and stretch/staple the cloth over it. Voila! One DIY screen that'll cost you under £30. I've some pics on my home page if you're interested.

If you want deeper looking blacks (lamp projectors can't project black), or have some ambient light, a grey screen can help with both those issues.

If you want a brighter reflected image, you can buy the 'proper' screen material which has some 'gain', and stretch/staple it to your frame. That's what I did when my new projector needed to be a little brighter and put the screen material on top of the existing BO cloth.

Gary.

3. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made my own screen and am very happy with it. As Gary said, just go to any curtain shop and get blackout fabric, its pretty cheap. The way i done the frame was made the outside of frame first, ie the four sides, stretched the fabric over it and stapled it, then to make the fabric even tighter i put a length of wood from top to bottom and made it ever so slightly larger than it should have been thus stretching the fabric even further, but dont make it too big.....

Good Luck

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moved to Projection Screen forum.

5. puritan

puritan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just finished making a 96 inch X 54 inch screen using black out liner, and 1"x3" framing lumber. The total cost of the project was $40 US. The results are excellent. I have a 60" wide luma pulldown silver screen in my basement right now. I'm planning on doing a comparison of the performance. I'll post pictures as soon as possible!

puritan

6. cruncher75

cruncher75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    hi just got myself some blackout fabric just wounderd what side do u use the cloth side or vinyl side

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Cloth. :)

Gary.