Making Way For Dali Phantom S In Walls

Jay130984

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After our visit across to Alan's (Ideal AV Home Cinema | Your Trusted Home Cinema Expert) last Saturday to have another demo of his light room (Dali Phantom S series) we have decided that this would justify a upgrade to our living room and go in wall, consisting of pair DALI PHANTOM S-280 Inwall Speaker | Ideal AV Home Cinema L/R DALI PHANTOM S-180 Inwall Speaker | Ideal AV Home Cinema Center Dali Phantom S 80 Inwall Loudspeaker | Ideal AV Home Cinema Surr, i already have x4 Phantom H80 for Atmos that i got from Ideal AV Home Cinema | Your Trusted Home Cinema Expert some time ago which will need re-positioning as i had ceiling speakers when the kids were toddlers over 20 yrs ago and just utilize holes and opportunity to upgrade the speaker cables
I have been running KK125s in a 7.2.4 for last 18 months and enjoyed having them but the Dali S is something else and a more living room friendly
So Monday we started to do the necessary alterations to be able to cater for the Dali,s
A few studded walls and overboard the ceiling is required which me and the wife have only done once
before (studded wall) but how hard can it be? "very hard" especially when its your living room and you have to live "got a great relationship going on with the hoover":cool:
Got a sparky sorting the moving of sockets and a plasterer, the rest is down to us :lesson:

Just a few pic's to show where we are
20180226_105223.jpg20180226_185510.jpg 20180302_170409.jpg20180228_191830.jpg 20180301_145604.jpg

Last edited:
Doing some cable management & electrics today ready for the insulation to go in tomorrow after work
15mm Soundbloc plasterboard will be delivered on Tuesday (36kg each) "that will be fun"
could only get hold of the 2400 x 1200 at short notice, we will just cut them in half for the stud centers
I am glad now that i moved all our devices upstairs into a cupboard last year as there would have
been a fair bit more electrics to do 20170828_124409.jpg 20170828_124420.jpg 20170828_155229.jpg
Adam you should here them "jaw dropping"

I heard them at Al's demo event last year, albeit on stands rather than installed. I was impressed.

you should hear them now Adam

last year they were in room rather than installed properly and being driven by a Marantz 7011, which to be fair, it was doing a great job. Now they are installed properly and being driven properly via ATI Class D power amps its a completely different sound to what you and everyone else heard.

i'll argue these are the best in-wall speaker solution money can buy atm, i've certainly heard nothing to match them as yet anyways

BTW i visited Paul today and he's doing a great job regards his room installation, nice one Paul :thumbsup:

Not much done today after work, had a nice visit from Alan (Ideal AV) good long chat
Got the Insulation in on the front wall Knauf Earthwool Frametherm Roll 32 140mm
Was very easy to work with and the end result seems good
I got it as a roll rather than slab for flexibility on installation
20180305_131509.jpg 20180305_181400.jpg Should get the x2 side walls done tomorrow

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing these pics & I must second Al's comment that it looks like a very good job.

Could I ask about your room dimensions, just curious about the comparison with my own space with regard to future upgrades...

After the divorce :D

Thanks for sharing these pics & I must second Al's comment that it looks like a very good job.

Could I ask about your room dimensions, just curious about the comparison with my own space with regard to future upgrades...

After the divorce :D
"divorce"well am fortunate my wife takes some interest/input
The room dimensions are 4500 x 4000 all walls are brick

All on schedule, Soundbloc plasterboard came today ready to go up
tomorrow (well the front that is) and plastered, plasterer has to do the plastering after his day job
then he's back on Friday to do the 2 sides and Monday the ceiling.
Got the rest of the Insulation put in 2 side walls and the ceiling,sounds dead in here now but am sure that will change again
once the plasterboard is up.
Had a fallout with hoover today, he got in the way and over i went:mad:
20180306_120727.jpg 20180306_120838.jpg

Last edited:
"divorce"well am fortunate my wife takes some interest/input
The room dimensions are 4500 x 4000 all walls are brick
Although generally supportive, my wife does take exception in relation to upgrades when my currant build isn't even finished.

The Dali's are certainly very high on my (future) wish list, just stunning performance.

A very substantial upgrade for your room, IMO. Should be pretty special when everything's in.

When is your next demo event Al?

Well the Gotham is arriving here saturday Adam, gotta work out yet how we get in in the demo room but we will somehow

Then an event will be arranged so watch the shows and events section and i'll announce something

Al :smashin:

Looking forward to seeing this all finished, looks great so far [emoji1303]

What sub(s?) will you be running with the Dali’s?

Looking forward to seeing this all finished, looks great so far [emoji1303]

What sub(s?) will you be running with the Dali’s?
Hi...
I will have x2 Arendal sub2s had them over a year now "but"
i maybe looking at moving them on and try something else:rolleyes:
we are getting close to the finish so wont be long

Well got the Soundbloc up "nearly killed us 41kg, front and both sides
all plastered thanks to mate Daz:thumbsup:
Hes back tomorrow for the ceiling then we can sit back and watch it dry:blush:
looking at week Sunday and it will all be up and running "week early" nice
20180307_185715.jpg 20180307_193849.jpg 20180307_194803.jpg 20180307_211936.jpg 20180308_115123.jpg 20180308_115229.jpg

Hi...
I will have x2 Arendal sub2s had them over a year now "but"
i maybe looking at moving them on and try something else:rolleyes:
we are getting close to the finish so wont be long

Trust me if you go for a Fathom you won’t regret it!

Good luck with the rest of your build [emoji1303]

Well got the Soundbloc up "nearly killed us 41kg

41kg 41kg 41kg :facepalm:

wait while your playing with your new F212 at just over 100kgs, then you can moan Paul :D

that will give you the balls then to try the Gotham V2 at 163 kgs

163KGS Ya need widow suckers to be able to carry that thing.
Do you carry or push it
if you need a hand let me know on Saturday

i've been experimenting today mate and after having a chat with Epson i think i've managed to sort it

if its a bit windy then i may have a problem but heyho! nothing ventured nothing gained :D

do you think this might work or is it me being all full of hot air....... again :rotfl:

Well i got phone call from plasterer this afternoon, after spending near on 3 hours cleaning "am ok to come down now as i have no work on due to the snow" yes you can, as i sit here he is up skimming the ceiling
"one happy fella here"....
20180308_184333.jpg 20180308_184339.jpg 20180308_184351.jpg

i've been experimenting today mate and after having a chat with Epson i think i've managed to sort it

if its a bit windy then i may have a problem but heyho! nothing ventured nothing gained :D

do you think this might work or is it me being all full of hot air....... again :rotfl:
Strange delivery method, ya that will work, will it be passing wf2
I think who ever helps to get that down them stairs will be full of something, make sure ya up:rolleyes: wind

20180308_210835.jpg All done,cleaned up...and relax for now
Tuff 10 days but it's going to be great

Just picked up the Phantoms from https://www.idealav.co.uk/:thumbsup:
Get the holes cut out tomorrow:eek: then start the painting
Just done mi check list looking at late Tuesday afternoon and should be all
done:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom