1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

making toshiba 210e multiregion

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bagpuss, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone explain to me how to make the toshiba 210e multiregion? I'm fairly new to the world of dvd so please be gentle with me.

About 4 months ago I bought what I thought was a multiregion toshiba 210e player from John Lewis. Now that I have finally got around to buying some region 1 dvd's they won't play. Do I have to do something to it to make it multiregion, and if so is this something I can do myself (with a disc for example) or will I have to take it somewhere to get it modified? I had expected it to play multiregion out of the box. I'm not sure whether I've wrongly bought a player that isn't multiregion (though I did ask, and they price matched to a multiregion player elsewhere), or whether "multiregion" just means can be modified to be multiregion.

Thanks

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    take it back to JL's and tell 'em its not what you asked for.

Does the the reciept say multiregion?

Get a tosh 220 multi region for 139.99 (from Richer Sounds I think)

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba players are not multiregion out of the box (very few models are in fact). The Toshibas that you buy that are multiregion have already been modified by the store that you buy them from (the same applies to Pioneers, Sonys, etc). As far as I know, John Lewis don't sell modified multiregion players. As it's been 4 months, I doubt you'll be able to get a refund from John Lewis - unless of course you asked them if it was multiregion and they said "yes it is" (just price matching it with a multiregion version is not enough IMO, but it doesn't hurt to try!). If not, you should take it somewhere to get it modified.

4. Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info

Just spoken to jl and they seem to be saying they have a toshiba 220 multiregion which they will exchange it for - they are ringing me back when they've checked the price of this. sg - are you saying this is unlikely to be have been modified? It seems to be appearing on their computer as multiregion. But then again, I did ask when I bought the 210 if it was multiregion and was told it was.

If I stick with the one I've got any suggestions for where I can take it to get it modified? I live in the manchester area.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't think that JL sold modified multiregion players. I'm very dubious indeed.... :confused: Ask them if they can explain to you what "multiregion" means... that should settle it. :D

If you were told it was, then this is the important thing in terms of getting a refund if the replacement doesn't work.

It would cost you more to get this player modified than it would to buy a new player with the modification already carried out. In fact, the 210 has now been replaced by the 220, so get a refund and get yourself a 220 ;) There are many good suppliers on the web if you do not have a local store that you can buy from.

Of course, it might also just be that all the disks you are trying are RCE. If they are, this is probably why they won't play on your 210, even though it's multiregion. If you are experiencing this:
    http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/510-rce-toshiba-players.html, then try this:
    http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/510-rce-regional-coding-enhancement.html

i.e.
    What R1 DVDs are you trying in particular?

6. Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jl have done the decent thing and given me my money back. looks like a trip to Richer Sounds for a multiregion 220 - very soon I hope as the frustration of having lotr region 1 dvd and nowt to play it on is killing me.

thanks to both of you for your advice.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad it worked out for you :)