1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making sense of the TH-42PW7B specification

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sl8ed, Oct 8, 2004.

1. sl8ed

sl8ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I've spent what seems like forever getting to the bottom of what the PW7 plasma tv offers you above and beyond the PW6 or PWD6. And the conclusion, not very much at all.

I've spoke to loads of suppliers and panasonic themselves, and here are the results.

1. Other than the HDMI capability and several further component boards, the PW7 internals are essentially identical to the PW6.

2. There is no increase to contrast, shades of gradation, colours or the MACH system. The UK PW7 will not have motion picture disturbance (MPD) noise reduction or the 3D colour management system. These feature and improvements to contrast, shade gradation and colour will will all feature on the US and Japan versions, but not for the UK. :mad: :thumbsdow

3. The screen is of a better quality than the PW6 and burn in problems have been reduced because of this. The PW7 screen is essentially the same as that of the PE30 (quote from Panasonic)

On another seperate point, after further discussions with Digital Point it transpires that the model they are selling is the TH-42PW7B, the official UK model. Their return to base warranty is back to themselves (at your own cost) for their engineer to fiddle around first before it goes back to
    Panasonic UK if it can't be fixed. The TH-42PWD6BX also appears to be the UK model also, but the TH-42PW6 is not necessarily the UK version, even though Panasonic UK supplied it to DP! :eek:

So at the end of all that I shall be ringing AV-Sales up (as they've not got back to me) and ordering a TH-42PWD6BX very soon :)

Hope this helps somebody!

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Oh *** - why does the UK always get the sh**y end of the stick?

Anyhow .. the low price differential now sorta makes sense - and I think I'll still end up going with the PW7 from AV-sales (if they ever call me back - their after sales services may be great but they're pre-sales isn't the speediest!)

ZZ

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Guys i think AV-sa;es are having a busy busy week what with their site not being up 100% this past few days..... The PE30 PA30 PA20 PW6 PW7 debate will rage forever (Panny UK have been known to lagg a tad in info) Do you want to know the really naughty thing? MPD is possibly a version of Fujitsu AVM technology that they have been fitting to panny glass in the VHA range for a while 42VHA30 and i did hear a whisper that the new Fujitsu would have improved contrast........
    Feel free to shout at me...............

4. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Are you saying that the Fuji screen might be even better than the PW6? I see that it comes with all sorts of connections built in .... and can be had for near PW7 money (http://www.electricshop.com/invt/4066fuj105625a).

What say you HD?

ZZ

5. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I find that extremely hard to believe (I mean Panasonic and not your good self)... the PE30 has been out since, what? March/April of this year. I think some of the customer care peeps at Panny don't have a clue of what they spout. Certainly the one I dealt with couldn't even advise me of simple availability dates for the infamous Viera pedestal stand. I wouldn't put too much trust into Panny's first line customer care info. A shame the technical guys and gals @ Panny can't advise instead of the phone monkeys. [​IMG] :rolleyes:

S.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Fujitsu VHA30 is the best SD plasma available Panny glass and superb electronics......
    Fujitsu VHA31 Samsung based screen cheap but not as good as VHA30 so hence panny is better... http://www.fujitsu-general.co.uk/plasma/home/fujitsuframes.htm For an extra £500 fujitsu is better PQ (IMHO marginal) but no HDMI or DVi 1 fewer input better warranty tho its swings and roundabouts.......