Making SD/Freeview/Sky better.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Khearts, Dec 18, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Khearts

Khearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

This might be the wrong forum area, but I did read somewhere in the lcd area about someone saying they have something that will make SD better quality. I cant remember what it was, he might have mentioned SKY being better on SD too or freeview. and he also said the next model up is £500 or something.

Sorry for the sillyness, but I have no idea what it was called.

Thanks

2. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  3. FoolsGold

FoolsGold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have an old Panny Skybox that I watch Sky freeview with and the picture is excellent. I enabled RGB in the settings and use a decent Scart cable from the Sky RGB Scart to the LCD. If you havent tried this then you should do as it makes a massive difference - you get three dots in the AV logo when you go onto the channel to signifi the RGB signal.

4. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    i think there are some dvd recorders available that can upscale to 720p

5. Khearts

Khearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you very much guys.
    Thanks FoolsGold.

I will check out that forum. I think it was a scaler.
    I didnt even know Sky has RGB. Mine has a scart. But Im pretty happy with the scart quality with my CRT. But I will have to change for when I get my LCD.
    Thanks again

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    LOL, you are just like 95% of my clients, I bet you've never set the aspect ratio either! You will find flat panels of whatever type to be very unforgiving of connection mistakes, like not enabling RGB, using real cheap cables (not that you need spend a fortune) etc. Cheap DVD players often look, well, er, cheap, too.
    Scalers/video processors. Whether to buy, and how much difference they make is greatly dependent on the panel you choose. 99% of consumer TVs do not have a suitable connection to make the most of these devices. Ideally, you input all your sources to the scaler, sky, freeview, DVD, consoles, and connect the scaler to a nice DVI/HDMI port on the screen, and set the output to panel native resolution. This is where the master plan goes down the swanny, cos screens usually don't take native res on HDMI, or if they do, at the wrong refresh rate. So, if ultimate picture quality is your goal, choose carefully, take advice from an experienced professional, and expect to need help to set it all up. Otherwise, join the queue in your local tescos, get it home, turn it on and be happy.

7. Khearts

Khearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I havent no. I didnt know that theres that much choice between a normal sky digital box and a CRT. But I do know Ill have to make all sorts of changes and settings and buy the best for when I get my LCD. Im planning on the buying the Sony 52' x series. I will be doing alot more research before I buy it.
    Thanks

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Well, in spite of the heavy involvement of the Sony fanboy club in the LCD forum they suffer from some very odd omissions in the processing department, but do accept native panel resolution at useful frame rates. So, they are likely to benefit from the use of a scaler, which will then give you proper deinterlacing of 1080i, 3:2 pulldown for film based material, and high end processing of SD sources. It'd be very interesting to compare to a 50" 1080 plasma with the same scaler in fact, great to get them side by side and carry out some serious research, measure black levels, colour response etc. keep us posted on your progress, I'll pop round with the plasma, scaler, and tame ISF calibrator when you've got it.

9. Khearts

Khearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Im still trying to decide is the best tv to get at the moment. I might take my xbox 360 and test out the 52xseries with gears of war.
    LCD or Plasma is still a tough choice, cause of the screen burn. But also Motion blurr sucks.

10. bongobob

bongobob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is it worth getting a scaler for an x series then, and if so which one would you recommend?

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Scalers, Hmm, Lumagen are good, a bit 'cottage industry, but good firmware upgrade support, and a very active, even passionate, UK agent. Cristallio, bit pricey, very good, is it better tha Lumagen? Vantage, new to market, good UK agent, could be the new killer product, too soon to say. All will work with X series. Better still with a 1080 plasma TBH...

12. Khearts

Khearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Lol whats TBH?
    Also do all Plasma's have this screen burn?

13. bongobob

bongobob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw, have you hooked up a scaler to an x series? Did it resolve any of the issues some people have with motion blur, deinterlacing etc? Not many 1080p plasmas under 5k tho are there?!

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    2 1080 plasmas under £5k now. Scalers cannot resolve uneven backlighting, motion blur, but do solve deinterlacing problems.