1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making pirate copies

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dfield2000, Nov 3, 2003.

?
  1. I don't have a copier, and I'd never copy a loaned disk

45 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. I want to get a copier to copy loaned disks

12 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. I own a copier, but only to back up my legit disks

11 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. I have a copier and I copy loaned disks

13 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was chatting to a guy on the weekend who was on about how he rents DVDs online and makes copies of them on his PC. I was thinking about how much money that could save me, but I think I'd prefer to have the original article on my shelf - even if the quality was the same. Not really because of any issues with breaking the copyright - just because I take pride in my collection and its nice to know its all authentic.

I was just wondering what the general feeling was for the rest of the av community. I'm not talking about backing up your legally bought DVDs here - I'm talking about making a copy of a loaned disk.

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have copied a rented dvd onto ram because I never had time to watch it. I still haven't actually it was equilibrium.

I also archive TV Series from sky onto DVD which does save me a fortune.

but as for films to be honest in sales films are not exactly that expensive. I would much rather own the genuine article.

Also, as far as I am aware it is not possible for the average Joe to record onto a dual layered disc so either the film is being compressed meaning a significant drop in quality or the extras are removed or the film is split onto two discs. I'm no expert so that may not be the case.

3. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Your right as blank dual layer discs are not out yet, but you can squeeze dual layer discs onto the current blank DVDRs by using an appropriate DVD shrinker . This way you can shrink all the extra features to lesser quality and maintain 90-100% of the movie quality, depending on its size. I haven't a DVD recorder yet but will indeed buy one next year. As long as DVDs remain affordable then I think most people would avoid the technicalities of DVD burning.

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have no interest in copying. Collecting DVDs is about more than just collecting movies to me.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Given that most of the time I pay under £10 per dvd and often less, I couldnt be bothered with the hassle and potential problems associated. If a film is worth watching, it is worth spending £10 to get a genuine copy, if i dont think i want to spend that much on it, well its probably not worth watching! Plus I am morally against piracy.

Isnt a thread like this rather colse to breaching forum rules?

ad

6. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't see how. I'm just asking for people's viewpoint

7. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I have copied rented DVD’s to watch them at a later date but I prefer to buy movies now. At the time hard drives were about £1 per GB and rental about £3 per movie so it was just as cheap to buy the movie, so sooner or later the movie gets deleted. I guess now tis a lot cheaper to copy a DVD.

I wonder if the people who are “backup DVD’s” are breaking the same copyright law as those who copy rented DVD’s?

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As far as I know, piracy is one of those subjects that is left for somewhere else, rightly so as well. If the view came across that there were alot of AVF members pirating discs, the forum is big enough to draw attention and could be considered to be pro piracy for just having the thread.... not that it is, but the right person could cause hassle.

ad

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As far as I know, this is perfectly ok, so long as it is for yours and olny your use and is a backup of a copy which you own.....

ad

10. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i'm not interested in pirates and agree wholeheartedly with the comments made by buns. i spent somewhere between 4-5K on my system and have no intention of putting pirates in it. why would i want to spread a single disc film over two disks in order to keep the bitrate? or accept a lower bitrate to keep it on one disc?

Personally i think that the price of many disks is very reasonable if you shop around. Last week i bought "Catch Me If You Can" (2 dis) and Cleopatra (3 disc) for £10 each - why would i want pirates when i can buy the originals for that price? The kind of people who pirate disks/films/games would still copy them if they only cost a fiver (indeed i know people who have!!)

Some people are born idiots and no matter how much money they have they will always be idiots.

Gary

11. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I copy disks that I own only onto HD ultimately will have all of my collection on HD as a DVD jukebox, it also protects them from the kids. I cannot understand why people want to make copies of disks they do not own which would ultimately lead to the demise of the film industry. How on earth can they make money if everybody's ripping off their product.

As far as I'm concerned there is no difference to copying software you dont own and stealing a car, both are theft... period.

The only point I could understand is timeshifting rentals, but this would also require deletion following watching.

All IMHO

Steve

12. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    there should be another option - I have a copier but wont copy disks. This is me. the copier came with the PC. I'll use it to archive camera footage etc but will not copy my dvds

13. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The is no "Fair Use" provision in the UKs implemetation of the DMCA (which became law last Friday), unlike there is in the USA and several EU countries - if you copy a DVD you own you have committed the same 'crime' as copying one you don't own.

http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-5100441.html

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,757
    I have copying facilities on my PC but do not copy DVDs and do not make backup copies.
    I always have preferred to own the original, whether it be vinyl LPs, audio cassettes, CDs etc. The only copying I do is to make compilation CDs up to use in the car, but I always own the originals.
    I think I do all this because I would feel annoyed if someone was copying my software rather than buy it.

15. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I am also firmly routed in the prefer to own the original camp, especially as a lot of my purchases are from the sale section at play or whom ever. I too have spent several thousands on my hc and would rather watch a movie at its best than watch a pirate. Garyd is right though for some people no matter how little an original cost some people will always want a pirate or copied version.

16. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I'm sure this is true, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse to pirate DVDs. While fair Use may not be legal here, I very much doubt anyone will ever be procecuted for it.

17. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No, its fine. Discussion is acceptable, active promotion is not, so as long as no links to sites selling pirate DVDs are posted it is okay.
    As for avforums being seen as a haven for piracy, well I think quite the opposite is true - it is quite clear from members responses here and in previous threads that this isn't so :smashin:

18. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Interesting question.....another point is that copying/piracy generally stops when the cost of a DVD or CD is close to the cost of either hard disk space or blank media and ripping/copying software.
    Being able to back up your own media is very useful,especially with kids in the house,but blatant piracy for commercial gain should be stepped on.
    It would be nice if the costs of DVDs and CDs in this country were close to the in the US.

19. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a copier, purchased it for putting home video footage onto DVD.

Wouldn't consider copying/backing DVD's. Seems pointless to me and probably too much aggrevation. When creating a home movie, you edit the footage with the software and then press a burn button and it puts it onto DVD. Pretty sure it's not that simple when copying a film................

.............and who can be arsed, at prices nowadays it can't be worth it????

Stace :D

20. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    I know lots of people that would copy a disc if it would save them 50 pence or even less!

21. alle v

alle v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...Sometimes owning the DVD can be equally as important as watching it.

Band of Brothers crafted 'tin' with digipacked 6 discs on one hand. Non descript bunch of blank discs with scribbled on titles on the other.

No contest for me :)

22. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    agreed. I love my tin

23. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I also prefer the real thing, as a collector. I would however, use a copier to copy rented DVDs that I didn't get time to watch. I only usually rent DVDs if the film is something I want to see out of curiosity, but would not buy, or if it something I want to see with a view to a later purchase.

24. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>>agreed. I love my tin<<<

I don't own a tin, but if I did I'd love it too.

Milding intriging moral dialema, dillema, dilamma,.....situation

Looking thro' the CD's in a charity shop when I saw something very recent for £1.00. Upon further inspection, the print quality of the insert was 'coarse' and the top side of the CD itself had that slightly rough touch to it. A quick flip over and whoa!....clearly visable through the bluey-green shimmer is the recorded section of the disk. A fake. Do you;
    '
    a) leave it be, after all, it's 'all for charidy mate'
    b) point it out to them and hope they have a policy of destruction for such items
    c) phone FACT after placing the 2 old biddies behind the desk into a non Home Office approved restraint postion, quoting that they looking a mandatory 3-5 stretch in the State Pen.....
    d) buy it and realise that you've stepped across to the Dark Side

25. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    if you havent got time to watch it then why rent it. piracy is piracy

26. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I should imagine that the charity shop was run by some little old ladies who don't even know what a CD does! :zonked: :D

27. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Are you seriously telling me you have never been in a situatiion where you have had to give a rented DVD/video back without watching it due to unforseeable reasons? I'm sure he rented it with the intentions of watching it. He's paid money to rent it so I think he is perfectly justified to copy it so that he can watch it later. Copying it for other people is something different altogether though.

28. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I believe the hire of a dvd is time limited, so im guessing that if you had to take it to the law, its just tough luck if you didnt get time. I can see the arguement for making a copy..... I wouldnt even take too much issue, IF the copy was destroyed after watching it. If not, then it is piracy plain and simple.

ad

29. SagaLout

SagaLout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I make backups of the kids DVDs (about 25 or so) after several were scratched beyond playability, but they are getting better at handling them. I let them use the backups whilst keeping the originals in the boxes on my shelf. As for difficulty/hassle, its about half a dozen mouse clicks.

Honestly couldnt care less about the legality or morality of it though, and after seeing the quality of my backups I really couldnt tell the difference. Having said that, I do like a shelf full of originals and the prices are reasonable now.

I do honestly think though that DVDs are nowhere near as robust as they were supposed to be, and I often wonder if I get a film out in a few years time if it will still play. Certainly VHS is a better format for kids to use if only they werent so bloody big! Maybe they should have put dvds into thing plastic cases, like DVD RAM

30. alle v

alle v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...Thats cobblers.