1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making new interconnects

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Stereo Steve, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a vast quantity of QED interconnect cables from a time when I thought such things mattered and for a while have been toying with making my own and flogging them on Ebay for a load of dosh.

I was wondering what the best cable to use was and saw this VAN DAMME stuff on CPC for 58p a metre.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=CB04679&N=401

Is there anything better out there or should I just use CT100 sat coax?

Also, could I have some recommendations on plugs? Something good and functional with a solder connection. Nice looking would be a bonus.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Stereo Steve,
    I know I harp on about this company but there products seem very good. They offer good, fast and helpful service. http://www.homegrownaudio.com/ I made some Silver IC's about a year ago using the wire they sell. They compared nicely to other silver IC's and sold nicely on Ebay.... :)
    With the pound being nice and strong at the moment it could be a good way to go.

4. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stereo Steve,

I would like to swear by the advice given by two of my favourite forum members i.e. eviljohn2 and Knightshade. They came up on just about every topic search I performed before embarking on a similar interconnect project, nearly a month ago.

I would echo similar advice, but with a little twist - I combined the CPC connectors and Maplin cable with very good results. The Shark cable sold by Maplin is really good looking, excellent quality and easily accessible! The CPC connectors are a bit of 'hit and miss' - and can turn out to be expensive, unless you know what you are ordering, as they rarely provide accurate photographs - if at all! The delivery/credit card charge is a bit high - unless you are ordering over £30 worth of goods (before VAT!)

Knightshade - you are right to 'harp' on about Homegrown Audio - otherwise nobody would know about them! Also, their plugs are gorgeous! I am looking to order a few of them to try out. However, I need a sizeable amount to fit/soldered on the ends of the 1.5m Bi-wired(3 length) CAT5/6 DIY cables - which ones out their catalogue would you recommend?

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Johnny,
    I use the Rhodium Over Silver Banana Plugs but be warned! They need soldering and can be a bit difficult to work with. They are only 10 AWG! Bi Wire will be fairly tight though possible. I've managed to make tri wire with 6 cables into the above plugs. Not without a considerable amount of bad language and burning of fingers though.....
    Looking on their site I'd say the suregrip connectors would be easier to work with. It looks like they'll handle bigger cable as well.
    Be interested to hear what you think.
    I know the RCA connectors they make are beautifully made. might also want to take a look at Chris Venhaus site www.vhaudio.com again some really nice quality equipment on sale.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Thanks for the kind words Johnny, I'm glad your projects are coming along well. :smashin: I only really started along the DIY route myself a year or so ago from being a complete newbie (still a complete newbie but happy to share my experiences), and it was other forum members that stirred me into money-saving action. Mylo's "Homebrew Cables" thread is undoubtedly one of the most useful and helpful threads I've ever come across on these forums. :clap:

The Home Grown Audio stuff does look very nice indeed and almost tempted me for banana plugs when I was planning my EvilTube cables. In the end I went for some basic MultiContact ones from CPC though.

You're right about the CPC website and it's pictures but if you order enough stuff (about £50 in total orders I think, maybe Mylo can chime in?) you'll get a big thick product catalogue sent to you with useful pictures and descriptions of almost every product they stock making the whole process much easier. :)

7. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, I forgot to mention Mylo's sticky - which got me started!
    Secondly, Steve - I do not mean to hijack this thread. However, I hope the posts are helping you along on the route to making some excellent I/C's.

Knightshade - I was also leaning towards the Rhodium plugs (Banana & RCA), due to thier exotic nature. However, I think they might be marginally better over the silver plugs. Also, I agree that the 'Suregrip' connectors seem a lot easier to work with.

Just out of interest - did you use a solder with higher silver content e.g. the 4% version stated on the HGA site?

eviljohn2 - When I opened the account with CPC, they said they will send me a 'Welcome Pack' which has the catalogue. However, when the UPS guy arrived - there was a BIG box and a small one. Needless to say, that the small box contained my order. Meanwhile, the big box had a A4 wallet with a few sheets of useless information - what a waste of logistical and natural resources!

I find it a bit unfair that you have to pay to get a catalogue, as they want you to order goods, 'blind' - as I had to, and ended up with a few things that are still in their original packing...

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    In some ways, but I can appreciate that they only really want to be sending 2832 page catalogues to regular customers - I havn't received a 2005 edition myself. The "catalogue page" link on the online product pages of often contains a picture and more info IIRC.

I wouldn't recommend silver solder myself, it's a real pain to work with and I can't believe it would actually make a noticeable difference. A good "normal" joint would be just as good. :)

9. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Johnny,
    Yes, but I used silver solder but the stuff from VH Audio. The WBT Silver solder to be exact. It has built in Flux (for want of a better term!) 32 feet for $20.00.
    As Eviljohn says it is a pain to work with. A temperature controlled solder station/iron is a must. The important thing is getting the joint right. A poor joint with the best solder in the world will still sound bad.....
    HTH