1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making my own home cinema signs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Panasonic4me, May 14, 2004.

1. Panasonic4me

Panasonic4me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm new here, so if this thread is in the wrong forum...I'm sorry :)

I've spent quite a lot of time on eBay lately looking for home cinema signs for my home cinema and I've just received a set of these signs:

[​IMG]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=298&item=3096375615

They look absolutely great and at £6 for all 3 they are a steal. My original thought was to find some frames for them, but then I saw this great looking sign:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=778&item=3815552686

...so now I have changed my mind :) I want to make signs like that using the prints I have already bought...and now - finally ;) - here is my question: How do I go about doing that?

Has anybody any experience making signs like that? What materials would be the best (look the best?) I could go back to my original idea and "just" find some frames for them. That would also look very good I'm sure but that other one........ :eek: :)

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Is it just the sign mounted on some wood your after ?

Basically did mine like that had some 1/2" MDF knocking around, cut to size, routed the edges to simple roundover and veneered it with cherry veneer.

Even easier if you have a nice chunk of real wood, you don't bother with the veneer.

Does that answer your question ?

Slingshot

3. Panasonic4me

Panasonic4me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it was precisely that kind of information I was after :) Have you used real glass or maybe plexiglass is a better solution? :)

4. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    plexiglass is easier to drill for mounting purposes :)

Those 3 signs do look pretty impressive. How fragile do they feel, i.e. are they flimsy like a sheet of paper or more like as if they were on transparency type of sheet (hope that makes sense)

i've got a couple of pieces of plexi that would probably allow me to frame them, and a piece of MDF too - so may go ahead and get some of these.

Gary

5. Panasonic4me

Panasonic4me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I've also chosen plexiglass for that very reason :)

The signs are pretty good quality. It is paper, but I don't think they are flimsy like a "regular" piece of paper. They are much thicker and glossy...more like a poster than a piece of paper. They look pretty good especially mounted behind glass...or in this case plexiglass ;)