1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making my own adapters for Infocus X1 (4800)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by redtag194, Jan 8, 2005.

1. redtag194

redtag194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to try using component video to my Infocus X1 (same as 4800) and want to try the VGA connection (DVD does the prog scan) and the s-video connection (proj does the prog scan).

I want to make my own adapters (save money!) and have the pin-outs for the VGA-to-Component adapter.

Does anyone have the pin-out for the s-video version?

Thanks

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You can't get s-video from a VGA connector (not by simple wiring anyway). As far as I'm aware, progressive scan isn't possible with anything other than component input, unless your pj does some clever internal conversion, which is doubtful, since the X1 is a fairly basic model.

3. redtag194

redtag194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Nick, I didn't make myself clear.

You can send component to the X1 in two ways:

i) via an adapter to the VGA on the PJ in which case the source (eg;DVD) is doing the progressive scan

or

ii) via an adapter to the s-video on the PJ in which case the PJ is doing the progressive scan

In both cases the cable from the DVD is component, and you need these adapters at the X1 end.

Cheers

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I understood what you meant, but (to the best of my knowledge) you can't go from VGA to s-video without some electronics. I don't think you can do it just by wiring.

5. Dogsmoke

Dogsmoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The X1 doesn't have a standard VGA - it has 3 extra pins. These are so you can use the custom lead and convert to component in.

The PIN OUT is listed on the X1 FAQ:

http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I have an oficial infocus one for sale for £18 inc delivery brand new. Thats if you want non-progressive. If you want progressive you'll need a component->vga adapter and maplins sell these, it think they are about £15 IIRC.

The one i have is the component->dodgey svideo connector. I;m using one with my X1 and it did improve things quite a bit.

I looked into making one but i couldn't find the correct dodgery s-video end so i gave up.