1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making my first DVD

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by GaleForce, Apr 18, 2004.

1. GaleForce

GaleForce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need help, as I am a complete noob when it comes to making DVDs. I have a collection of .avi video files that I have been building up for a while now, and I recently got a computer with a DVD writer. I went out to Comp USA today to buy some blank DVD+R discs, and since they aren't exactly cheap, I would like to know what I am doing before I start burning.

So, I have some questions;

Are .avi files compatable in a DVD player, or would I need to convert the video to some format recognizable by a DVD player?

How can I make a "menu" so someone could select which video they would like to watch instead of having to thumb through the chapters?

Can you recommend some good beginner software? I don't need a lot of functions, just the ability to burn DVDs with a menu, so if there is a free solution that will do that I would definitely be interested. Otherwise any software that is good for someone new would be fine.

Thanks a ton :)

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    .avi files won't be compatable with the DVD player

You will need to encode the .avi files to MPEG-2 files & then these be authored (within an authoring program) so that you will have the req'd VOB etc files for DVD. The authoring program should help you with building menus as well (though generally with higher end authoring products you will have to create menu sub layers yourself in photo editing programs like Photoshop).

I don't use it myself but the beginner product that seems to be favoured here is Ulead's Movie Factory 3 which will probably do all you need.

3. GaleForce

GaleForce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is a VOB file and stuff? Could you perhaps explain what steps I would have to take to convert an avi to a DVD file?

4. dirt

dirt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ulead DVD Movie Factory will sort you out.Totaly beginer friendly.
    It does all the format converting for you and even lets you trim/edit your files and compile menus.

5. GaleForce

GaleForce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't download the trial. There is an error on their webpage that prevents the form from working :(

6. GaleForce

GaleForce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know an alternative source for it?

7. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    OK if you want me to get technical , but Movie Factory will do it all in the background without you having to worry about the file formats it is creating.

Your .avi files are way to big to fit any decent amount on a DVD.

To fit a movie on DVD requires that the video is far more compressed than .avi

MPEG-2 is the compression format used in DVD . The authoring program will take your MPEG-2 video & audio and multiplex (combine) them in a single stream. DVD specs allow there to be upto 8 seperate audio tracks (usually different languages) in this one stream , though only higher end authoring programs will offer you this or the multiple video (angles) that you can have within that stream

The specs allow you to have upto 99 VTS (Video Title Sets) though again most budget offerings will allow you to have only 1 VTS.

The DVD folder created by the authoring program (found at root level on the disc you burn) will be a "VIDEO_TS" folder. In this will be a number of VOB, BUP & IFO files. The VOB files are Video Object Files (essentially your Video & Audio files multiplexed ), The BUP files are Back Ups of these & the IFO files contain information, navigation commands etc.

As I say, most of this is not going to matter if you are buying a one stop solution with simple interface that does it all for you.

I personally use one program to capture & edit & create Dolby 5.1 soundtracks, another to encode video to MPEG-2, another to create menus, another to author & another to burn the results to disc.

8. GaleForce

GaleForce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using Ulead but it won't let me burn VCDs onto DVD media. Why is this? I can't use DVD format because it is way too big.

9. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    VCD's are Video CDs , MPEG-1 format (lower resolution & bitrate), for burning to CD

10. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Your post was extremely useful to me vonhosen :D just wondering which software you use to create menus?

I've used TMPGEnc in the past but I'm now trying to find out how to edit footage from my standalone DVD recorder (wondering if I can just use the VOB etc files already created and burn with Nero, without going down the TMPGEnc route to create a menu).

Hope you can point me in the right direction :lease:

Thanks
    Tracey

11. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Depends on authoring program I'm using as to what I have to do with menus & whether I want motion menus (motion buttons) etc. Tend to make the motion stuff in my NLE ( Vegas 5) & the physical buttons (mask layers) with Photoshop.

I'm not in your position of trying to edit VOB's that have been recorded by stand alone DVD recorder , but most NLE software won't want to take VOB files. You may be able to load them to the timeline by just changing the file extension to .mpg (from .vob) etc but I wouldn't suggest that you do as it will end up in recompression (never good with already compressed material) & most NLE software don't handle .mpg files well for editing.

You could use a program like Womble
    http://www.womble.com/
    It's made for editing .mpg .vob files etc but as I say I don't have to follow the path you do so I haven't any experience with it myself.

Places that may help you in your searching are
    www.dvdrhelp.com
    www.doom9.org
    & have a look at the sticky on this forum by Rasczak in the "DVD recorders & media" section (at the top of posts) if you are interested in editing recordings made in VR mode.

12. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your reply - will start reading tonight :)