Making laptop output to projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dangerous_Dave, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hello all,

A while back I bought an infocus in1 projector with the modest aim of projecting onto a blind in the ubershed I've built at the top of the garden. I want my laptop, which has the ability to output a picture via a vga port, to act as the input to the projector, but I can't get it to work. I've attached the laptop to the projecter using a vga to RGB 3 way cable. The laptop screen goes black, as I would expect, but the projector doesn't output the picture.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Richard

2. boksbox

boksbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    On my laptop the F8 key acts as a swict, if I press alt and F8 and had a projector connected the output would be re-directed.

I've used many laptops in the past some happily display to a projector and the laptop itself others to one or other but not both at once.

Do you have any other display devices e.g. LCD TV or monitor that you could compare the projector to?

3. Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The laptop outputs to an LCD monitor ok. I don't mind if it doesn't display on the laptop screen at the same time, but i can't seem to get the projector to pick it up under any circumstance.

Richard

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,026
    You'll have to check the projector's manual to see what input resolution it will accept. Some PJs will only accept limited resolutions via VGA or Component. You'll then have to set your laptop to that resolution and then try it with the PJ using the 'F8' button or whatever is needed to send the picture to the PJ instead of the laptop.

5. the_grinder

the_grinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Which laptop and which projector?

6. Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58

I hadn't thought of that. The PJ runs at 640x480 I believe, and my laptop's monitor is going at a much higher (widescreen) resolution than that. Perhaps that's what's causing the issue. For some reason I thought the PJ would just automatically transpose the signal to its native resolution.

@ the other respondent (forgot name while i was typing), the projector is an infocus in1, and the laptop is a toshiba tecra m9.

7. the_grinder

the_grinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sounds like it could be the resolution then.

Sorry, I should've read your initial post for projector name! :rolleyes:

I just wondered if it had a vga input, but it doesn't so the connector you're using sounds like the best option.