Making directories on PS3

Astraeus

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of moving my 15,000-strong music collection across to the PS3 having upgraded the hard drive but have one concern - it seems to just provide me with a huge list of songs underneath "Search for Media Servers". Is it possible to build a directory on the PS3? I have my folders as the genres on the PC so would like something similar.

When viewing music folders on the HDD, you can press square to change how they are displayed (i.e artist, album, genre, year etc).

So just whack on all of the music and then use the square button to change how it's displayed will make it look neater? Cheers for that!

glad to help:thumbsup:

Seems to work pretty well for me.

Just set it going over my USB connection, 35GB of music being moved across after I've painstakingly edited the IDv3 tags for ALL of the songs to include album, year, artist and song name. Yuck.

ooo thats hefty... it'll be worth it in the end though. I really need to upgrade my HD just havn't got round to it. Where did you get yrs?

ooo thats hefty... it'll be worth it in the end though. I really need to upgrade my HD just havn't got round to it. Where did you get yrs?

I went for the 250GB Seagate Momentus from Scan (free delivery for AVForums members with 30+ posts) and had it for ÂŁ57 delivered. ÂŁ20 more and you can get the 320GB Western Digital drive but I figured there is some security in using the same HD model as is included in the PS3 as standard (a 40GB Seagate Momentus).

Ahh 250 sounds like enough space for me. Cheers, i'l take a look at scan :thumbsup:

Just set it going over my USB connection, 35GB of music being moved across after I've painstakingly edited the IDv3 tags for ALL of the songs to include album, year, artist and song name. Yuck.

I had to do that when transfering songs from my PC to my MP3 player for the first time, it took bloody ages! From then on every song I've downloaded, or every album I've loaded off CD to my PC I've tagged straight away, much less hassle.

im tempted by the 1TB drives....just for the hell of it lol...
although im not even sure itll read something that large.

I've read reports of people attaching 3.5" 1TB drives externally by running wires, pretty much any SATA drive should work.

Hey all,

Just thought i would share with you an interesting email i just got from a mate who works for Sony UK.

If you are thinking of upgrading your internal HDD then be advised that you should get only drives that spin at 5400 rpm. Apparently the PS3 cant cool drives that spin faster than that and it has led to components being heat damaged and in some cases fire. According to my mate if you put a drive in and it does cause this kind of damage then it voids your warranty????

Think its best to stick to an external drive in an enclosure!

If you are thinking of upgrading your internal HDD then be advised that you should get only drives that spin at 5400 rpm. Apparently the PS3 cant cool drives that spin faster than that and it has led to components being heat damaged and in some cases fire. According to my mate if you put a drive in and it does cause this kind of damage then it voids your warranty????
Thats why everyone is buying 5400rpm and not 7200rpm.

I read somewhere that someone connected a 1tb hard drive internaly to a PS3 and it only showed up as if a 750gb drive ws installed, dont know if there is any truth in it but someone said that this would mean that a 750gb drive should be the biggest that would fit in the PS3 but mabey a firmware upgrade could change this. I read that when searching the internet for info to see if the 500gb hitachi 2.5 drive works in the PS3.

I would presume that 750GB is the limit of the Sony file system which is based on a Linux code, although it can read FAT32 for some cross compatibility but this is only on external drives.

Thats why everyone is buying 5400rpm and not 7200rpm.

I read somewhere that someone connected a 1tb hard drive internaly to a PS3 and it only showed up as if a 750gb drive ws installed, dont know if there is any truth in it but someone said that this would mean that a 750gb drive should be the biggest that would fit in the PS3 but mabey a firmware upgrade could change this. I read that when searching the internet for info to see if the 500gb hitachi 2.5 drive works in the PS3.

new 7200rpm drives typically run a few degrees hotter than 5400rpm drives. what difference is it really going to make lol.

for everybody saying it causes problems ect, where's the evidence? find me one such case lol.

onkeh said:
I've read reports of people attaching 3.5" 1TB drives externally by running wires, pretty much any SATA drive should work.

yes you can. my 500gb 3.5" worked fine, but im using a 250gb atm. there are report of problems with bigger drives though (750 to 1tb). im not sure i havent looked in to it. as always, check first

for everybody saying it causes problems ect, where's the evidence? find me one such case lol.
I would like my PS3 to run as quiet and as cool as it is now and if I replaced it with a 7200rpm one it wouldnt, there would be an increased risk of it overheating with the faster hdd installed so I wouldnt want to take that chance for the sake of ÂŁ20-ÂŁ30.

I would like my PS3 to run as quiet and as cool as it is now and if I replaced it with a 7200rpm one it wouldnt, there would be an increased risk of it overheating with the faster hdd installed so I wouldnt want to take that chance for the sake of ÂŁ20-ÂŁ30.

the hard drive runs 2-3 warmer. put it in to perspective, a ps3 with a 5200rpm drive will run 10c hotter or more in a hotter country and they do so without problems. think about it;)

my ps3 uses a 7200rpm 3.5" drive externally. so its faster, quieter AND cooler. if that was an issue;) oh its cheaper than the equivalent 2.5" drive as well.

my ps3 uses a 7200rpm 3.5" drive externally. so its faster, quieter AND cooler. if that was an issue;) oh its cheaper than the equivalent 2.5" drive as well.

Faster, quieter, cooler, cheaper but its another piece of hardware for the cabinet with another usb and power cable. I'm using an external atm but want to upgrade the internal so i don't have all these ugly wires everywhere.

Faster, quieter, cooler, cheaper but its another piece of hardware for the cabinet with another usb and power cable. I'm using an external atm but want to upgrade the internal so i don't have all these ugly wires everywhere.

ps3_2.jpg

'fraid not. its only one sata lead and one power lead. you cant see my hdd unless you lock round the back anyway. so if your talking about extra cluttter, well - there is none.

ps3.jpg

Thats similar to the external hard drive that I used for the 360 and PS3 and I still want to upgrade the hard drive in the PS3 because its one less thing to have plugged in all the time and less clutter whatever way you look at it.

James, that's not a universally-practicable solution though. Take my setup for instance where the PS3 is housed in a home-made enclosure along with the amp/receiver, Sky+ box, DVD recorder and VCR underneath the TV. There isn't sufficient room for adding on another one-to-four inches of machinery in the enclosure.

I'm assuming that the poster isn't able to construct something as clean as yours.

Whats the thing on the bottom? is that another bit of kit so you can connect using sata? never seen one of those before!

Only one sata lead and only one power lead still means 2 extra leads you know. My point was i don't want any more leads! I've got enough wires running around with my amp/5.1/pj all joined up.

You can say theres no extra clutter but i don''t think many people will agree with you on that one.

Thats similar to the external hard drive that I used for the 360 and PS3 and I still want to upgrade the hard drive in the PS3 because its one less thing to have plugged in all the time and less clutter whatever way you look at it.

i dont look at an extra plug as extra clutter, sorry. clutter is stuff you can see. cant see it - not a problem.

You can say theres no extra clutter but i don''t think many people will agree with you on that one.

again, you cant see them - what difference does it make? there most be 20-30 leads on the back of my av rack because both my amp and pc are sitting on there. but all the leads are tidied away - no clutter. being there isnt really the point lol

I'm assuming that the poster isn't able to construct something as clean as yours.

its only a 4-gamers stand from GAME with two holes cut in for the sata lead. but anyway, i wasnt going to focus the thread on my ps3, but you have to laugh at the excuses people come up with. clutter, the ps3 wouldnt cope with the heat from 7200rpm drive, whatever the excuse. loads of people warning against using 7200rpm internal drives but where are all these problems they talk of? one of the first people to do it did a good writeup on the sony forums, it made such a small difference yet people still tell all these stories. i havent seen a single story on any board of a ps3 failing because of a faster hard drive. they only thing that should influence the decision imo, is the price of the drives in question:)

Can we try and keep this thread on topic please. We already have other dedicated threads to hard drive upgrading.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom