Making cable holes in brick chimney breast

bigbug

Novice Member
Hi, appreciate some advice for my first DIY AV project. I'm going to mount my 40 inch LCD (not very thin :( ) on my brick chimney breast then utilise the plastered fireplace space for my av kit. A couple of initial questions if I may......
1. If I want to at least partially flush mount could I just cut away the plasterboard and fix the bracket to the brickwork? And...
2. I plan on simply cutting into the wall then threading the cables down through the chimney space to come down at the top rear of the fireplace alcove, I'd like to use a double gang brush plate for this but how am I best cutting neatly through the brick. It's a 1930's semi so unlikely to be breeze block.. ThanksImageUploadedByAVForums1368825696.139807.jpg

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Hi, appreciate some advice for my first DIY AV project. I'm going to mount my 40 inch LCD (not very thin :( ) on my brick chimney breast then utilise the plastered fireplace space for my av kit. A couple of initial questions if I may......
1. If I want to at least partially flush mount could I just cut away the plasterboard and fix the bracket to the brickwork? And...
2. I plan on simply cutting into the wall then threading the cables down through the chimney space to come down at the top rear of the fireplace alcove, I'd like to use a double gang brush plate for this but how am I best cutting neatly through the brick. It's a 1930's semi so unlikely to be breeze block.. ThanksView attachment 397384
For cutting through the brick, which is exactly what I did on mine. I marked out where I was going to place the double brush plate and then drilled plently of small holes around the marked edge and inside as well and then used a small chisel and hammer to remove the bricks.

Try and cut well under the size of the brush plate to avoid ending up with a hole bigger than the plate :eek:

My cables (all two of them) go through the brush plate, across the chimney and out through another brush plate on the side and into my amp.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom