Making BT Home Hub 6 into a modem?

Albi Dock

My HH6 is playing up on the 2.4Ghz channel, now only giving 'dial up speeds' to any device connecting to it and a recent reboot hasnt helped matters. The HH6 is so limited on 2.4G range that it only has 3 channels and changing to one of the other 2 hasnt helped either. I dont reboot the HH frequently being conscious the DSLAM(?) can interpret this as line issues and reduce line speed overall.

I previous had an old HH3 and white BT modem where I ditched the HH3 and used my Netgear WNDR4500 router connected to the modem.

To cut a long story short, I want to effectively turn my HH6 into just a modem acting as just the connection to the internet and re instate my WNDR4500 as the router.

DHCP can be turned off in the Advanced HH6 settings as can the wireless 2.4 and 5Ghz functionality. The WNDR4500 was already configured to work with the BT White modem with DHCP enabled etc and presumably would just need to be connected to the HH6 via a LAN cable once the above is done.

The WNDR4500 isnt being used as a range extender, it wasnt before so shouldnt need any other settings within it to be changed.

My query is, will the HH6 effectively work as a modem with DHCP and wireless turned off with the WNDR4500 being the router? Any other changes required?

Thanks.

fleming222

Pretty sure this is how it's worked for me in the past with similar routers. Putting the Home Hub into modem mode will disable the WiFi and DHCP, and will only allow 1 LAN connection which should go to your router.

EDIT: After reading a bit further it seems the Home Hub may not have this functionality, by disabling the WiFi and DHCP the Hub will still do routing and NATing.

Albi Dock

Pretty sure this is how it's worked for me in the past with similar routers. Putting the Home Hub into modem mode will disable the WiFi and DHCP, and will only allow 1 LAN connection which should go to your router.

EDIT: After reading a bit further it seems the Home Hub may not have this functionality, by disabling the WiFi and DHCP the Hub will still do routing and NATing.
OK. Do you know which HH that applies to, earlier than HH6?

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom