Making an SD signal watchable on LCD?

P

psyborg

Hi, I apologize of this question is a bit noobish But I'm wondering if there is any way to make an SD signal look better on an LCD HDTV, I cannot get HD programming at my current residence.

I have satelite 480i signal running through Tivo Series 2 displayed on a 42' Westinghouse LCD HDTV.

I don't expect it to look great(or anywhere close to HD) but if theres any way to reduce the pixelation, graininess, digital artifacts, green tint, overall horrible quality I'm all ears, some kinda of upscaler perhaps? I don't know.

thanks in advance.

King Louis

What he said. In practice sharpness and noise reduction actually do the opposite of what you'd excpect and are best set off or low.

Lyris' tips are pretty much spot on regard less of what sort of telly you own.

penna

Have you tried runng the TV signal direct to the TV, not through the TIVO? Just a thought - I have a feeling TIVO re-encodes even live TV?

solidamber

Hi, I apologize of this question is a bit noobish But I'm wondering if there is any way to make an SD signal look better on an LCD HDTV, I cannot get HD programming at my current residence.

I have satelite 480i signal running through Tivo Series 2 displayed on a 42' Westinghouse LCD HDTV.

I don't expect it to look great(or anywhere close to HD) but if theres any way to reduce the pixelation, graininess, digital artifacts, green tint, overall horrible quality I'm all ears, some kinda of upscaler perhaps? I don't know.

thanks in advance.

I've found the problem a 42 foot LCD will look pixelated, each pxel would be about 1inch square

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom