1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making an Image of a Mac-is it possible? How?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by stu_69, Jun 13, 2003.

1. stu_69

stu_69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    {sorry if this is of topic}

I work in an Advertising agency and we have about 60 odd macs at the moment but they are all being replaced gradually and it’s a pain to have to build each one individually, is there a way to ghost or take an image of a mac and put it on another mac?

We have about 400 odd PC’s and I have spent the last few weeks making sysprep images of each different model of machine we have in the building, I have made batch files to install office and we are using novell and Zenworks to distribute the apps to each machine. It takes no more than 20 minutes to build a Windows PC here but it can take nearly 2 hours to do 1 mac, there has to be an easier way. Does anyone has any suggestions of how you would go about making an image of a mac?

Cheers
    Stu

2. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Stu,

If you're still using OS9, then Apple used to provide an install option "install for any mac". This allowed you create a system installation that would boot & run any machine. All you had to do was install this on one machine, install all your applications etc., boot from CD, copy the contnets of your hard drive to CD or DVD and then put this on your other machines.

Of course, this did not take account of software licensing issues etc. (you really need to do this with installations of unregistered software so that each user can subsequently enter their unique licence code).

OF course, now that we've all moved to OSX, this option is no longer available.

I've never done this myself but I'm sure some of the commercial backup/archiving/restore software will do this for you - check oput Dantz Retrospect for example or look at the OSX software section of www.apple.com.

Also, here's something I found doing a quick search of TuCows;

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Looks like it might fit the bill but take care - it's $5 software so I'd be reluctant to stake an enterprise system on it but then, YMMV. Suck it and See!

Peter

3. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Carbon Copy Cloner works perfectly in OS X - i've used it to replicate my OS X boot disk to an external back up and have had no problems what so ever.