Making a NAS ?

jetinder

I read the NAS f.a.q. and understand how it works.

But how can you make a NAS ?

Do you need a special NAS motherboard etc + case ?

I have an old PC with Ubuntu on it, this connected to the internet via a router, on the same router i have my windows PC connected as well (but i need to find out how to make my Windows PC "see and talk" to my Ubuntu PC on the LAN).

In a nut shell i want to use the hard drives on my Ubuntu PC to backup the hard drives on my windows PC.

Can this be done ?

Can an old PC be used as NAS ?

Old_Biker_John

I read the NAS f.a.q. and understand how it works.

But how can you make a NAS ?

. . . In a nut shell i want to use the hard drives on my Ubuntu PC to backup the hard drives on my windows PC.

Can this be done ?

Can an old PC be used as NAS ?

Hi jetinder,

I don't know the answers to your questions, but this technical website may help you to sort things out.

Hope that helps.:)

John.

SeanT

Distinguished Member
Install windows 2000 or xp (on a separate drive if possible)
Make a folder in the root of the bigger drive and share it across the network. Switch remote desktop, vnc, wake on lan on, and stick it in a cupboard. :)

jetinder

I think thats what i might have to do as although Ubuntu and Linux are good they are still not as good Mac OS or even Windows ME.

If your motherboard + graphics card is over 5 years old trying to find Linux drivers for these is proving to be almost impossible :(

So you're right on my Ubuntu PC i'll have to make a spare (small) partition install minumum windows (so my New PC can talk to the Ubuntu PC) and on bigger partition install Ubuntu (as i still want use that more).

Just hope more drivers for Linux can be made as its a huge shame letting older computers gather dust and not be used when they could still be for things such as NAS etc if drivers for them where written.

Last edited:

SeanT

Distinguished Member
Linux is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but 2000/xp are so much easier and quicker to achieve a nice simple box with.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom