Making a Meridian 596 multi region

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pcavelle, Feb 4, 2002.

1. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I got my new Meridian 596 on Saturday & used the following command string from Windows Hyperterminal to the 596:

%% (to enter factory mode)
    %p constable (the installer password)
    %z 1f
    %w (to write to non-volatile area)

It worked in as much as it changed the region from R2 to R1; however, it's now an R1 only DVD player, seemingly.

Did I do something wrong, or perhaps not send the last command properly? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks - Paul

2. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thats a change from the usual remote hacks (but not worth the £60 they were talking about charging!).

A lot of players seem to have another number (you have '%z 1f' in the command lines which would suggest this is switching the player to a zone 1 machine) to make the player region free.

Have you tried anything else other than 1 in this line? Obviously you wouldn't want to have to get the serial cable out every time to change region but maybe another number here may unlock the region status ( i.e 0 or 9 perhaps).

Where did you get the hack from? They may have more information and would be less risky I guess.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

3. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Seems you may be right - my more knowledgeable (than me) buddies over at the Meridian site are on the case for me as we speak! I have several suggestions to try later so wish me luck,

Paul

ps - I emailed you not 10 mins ago!