making a dedicated DVD recorder divx player out of mce

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by eyeoforion, Sep 15, 2007.

1. eyeoforion

eyeoforion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i want to make my current HTPC (windows mce 2005) into an easy to use dvd recorder and divx player(from discs and memory cards) using the mce front end with the mce remote control as though i was actually using a dvd recorder/player with divx. I was considering buying a standalone but think i should be able to make the pc do the job hust as well if not better.
    My htpc has a single freeview tuner card, dl dvd writer, hauupage pvr 150 capture card. Any suggestions?

2. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I use my MCE system to do pretty much the same thing.

You need a good codec for media playback, and the best I've found is the CCCP one (a tweaked ffdshow).

http://cccp-project.net/

Once set up properly, it'll play pretty much anything. I also use the nvidia purevideo for freeview mpeg playback (although ffdshow is doing the audio).

The only thing it won't play is HD vc1 .ts rips (although I'm working on that).

On the recording side, you'll have to decide whether you want to record from freewview or a set top box via your pvr150, as you can't do both with MCE 2005.

D.

3. eyeoforion

eyeoforion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your reply im trying to get the media centre to emulate as much as possible th functionalty and feel of a dedicated dvd recorder (like the philips 3380/3480) using the remote inside of mce interface. The best i have found so far is ulead dvd movie factory direct to disc burning option, but i have to drop back to xp desktop to get at this software. I use a freeview card for tv recordings. I think im right in saying that a recording made by mce via the pvr150 from the tv guide is a hard drive recording only in dvrms format. I want to produce a dvd- video straight from cature card and then finalise it just like with a standalone dvd recorder.