1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making A Custom VGA Monitor Cable?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr Milquetoast, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Mr Milquetoast

Mr Milquetoast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can’t seem to get components to make my PC dead quite for watching DVDs so I’ve decided to put it in a different room. I just watch my DVDs on a 22inch CRT monitor because I don’t think there’s anything that can compete in terms of resolution, contrast and colour accuracy. Obviously it’s connected to the PC with a standard VGA cable and that’s the problem.

I don’t mind putting a hole in the wall for the cable put the connector part is huge and would require a massive hole to get it through. I’ve looked around for the cable and connectors but can only find pre-made, moulded cables.

Is it possible to make your own vga cable and if so can somebody direct me to a retailer that sells the cable and connectors?

Also, will it be difficult? If it’s like wiring a network cable that’s no problem but if I have to use a soldering iron the only thing I’m liable to be able to make is a mess :)

Thanks for your help.

2. Dave_M

Dave_M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A simple (though not cheap) option would be to simply run a cat5 cable and use a VGA balun pair such as these from CyberSelect.

3. Mr Milquetoast

Mr Milquetoast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion. It's a bit more than I was thinking about spending but I'll bear it in mind and probably go for that if there's no way to make my own VGA cable.

4. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  5. gordonfmoore

gordonfmoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose keene would make one up for you for some dosh.

Maplin's anyway for parts and cable. Hang about and offer any passing geeks some money to solder it for you!!! Visit a college and offer it as a project. Try cable universe, they may have something? Buy a cable, cut it and try joining it back together with a connection block (ugh.. but it might work) or just twist the ends together and insulate. Practise your soldering skills and get a new career...

:) :) (honestly said with warmth and humour...)

6. Mr Milquetoast

Mr Milquetoast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably give that VGA cable from CAT5 thing a go.

While asking someone else to make it would be the easy solution the problem is I have to put the cable to through the wall before putting the second end on and I think hanging around in Maplin asking random customers if they want to come back to my house will at best make me look silly and at worst get me arrested :)

Cutting a cable in two and using a connection block is a good idea though. Anything as long as I don't have to use a soldering iron. Six men died last time I was given one of those things and a further 236 escaped with minor injuries.

7. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If you buy a good metal VGA D-sub is will come in three pieces. Complete the soldering, its not that hard, ask for advice. Don't put the sides on and it should go through a 1/2" hole. Cutting a screened VGA cable in two is not a good idea, the cores are very small and the screening needs to be continuous.

8. gordonfmoore

gordonfmoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might not be a "good" idea, but as I said it's worth a try? The screening of course should cover the entire length, but if the screen continuity is continuous, he might get away with just a small gap, there again he might not, but he would see some interference rather than it not working. Personally, I would probably buy a cheap cable, cut it off at one end with say a foot to allow for stripping and twist the ends together and resheath with a small piece of coax shielding and lots of tape (when I proved it worked). If the worse comes to the worse then I'd have to buy a connector and solder, but if as he said his soldering /eye sight isn't up to it, its a pretty fiddly job - I melted a vga plug on my first go!!! and I'm used to soldering. Nope, twist the wires together and let us know what happens?

If you can get the dismantable plugs then good idea, but be careful, the soldering joints at this size are not very strong.

And please stay a long way away from me, you are dangerous...:)

lol Gordon