Making a backup of whole PC?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Evokazz, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Evokazz

Evokazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +544
    Hiya guys, I have built computers, and formatted more times than I like to think, all for personal use only. I tend to format every 6 months or so to keep things running smoothly. I have heard of software that can make this easier by backing up an OS, but never looked into it. I have always used Silent Installers using a GUI menu my friend made, basically, I install Windows, then load my friends DVD, and it installs everything I need in one click. However, this was for XP, I am now on Windows 7 64bit, and the Silent DVD no longer works properly in Win7. So I'm here for help to make things easier for me in the long run.

Is it possible to have software to do the following....also which software would be best, and newbie friendly...I am alright with working a PC, but useless at commands etc. I am looking for the following...is this possible?

- After I have formatted my PC and installed everything how I want it, some kind of backup that if things go wrong, or I simply want to clean out without formatting I can restore:

- Something that will restore the following:
    - My Windows 7 Install Completely
    - My installed programs and settings for each app, including registration
    - My Windows 7 Install settings/control panel/network settings

Basically a COMPLETE copy of everything, how would I do this? Some people have told me they can restore a PC to like a freshly formatted PC in less than 10minutes, without even needing a disc, but nobody says how, and Google threw way too many results lol.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    Windows 7 has the tools to do all this built in - Windows 'Backup & Restore' which can be found in the Control panel
    Back up your programs, system settings, and files

Or you can use the likes of Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, but these are paid for programs, to create a HDD image.

If you then need to restore the disk image you go back to exactly as the PC was when you made the backup including Windows and all software & documents etc.

Mark.

3. maddogb

maddogb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    macrium reflect

4. Tracey360

Tracey360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: