Making a 3440x1440 144Hz monitor USB C with a dock or hub

hiphopapotamus

Hi there

I currently have a monitor which is 3440x1440 resolution and runs at 144Hz. I use a displayport to usb c cable to my laptop to run it at the moment. I believe that's display port alt mode. The cable also has an in-line usb c socket so I can inject power.

I just need a few USBs and ethernet also, but want to turn the monitor into a single cable solution as a juggle a few laptops.

If I plug my displayport to usb c cable into a hub with a usb c data port, will it pass through and allow me to still run my monitor at full resolution and refresh rate?

I cant find any info on how to do this

My machines don't have thunderbolt and I don't want to spend lots anyway as the monitor was £350

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
If the DisplayPort end is connected to your computer then no, there's no way for it to carry a USB signal to enable a USB hub to work.

hiphopapotamus

Maybe I wrote it confusingly

Displayport end in the montorl
Usb c end goes to my computer

But I see some Anker hubs with a usb c data port as well as one for connecting power

So I wanted to get a hub like that, hook the usb c end into the hubs data port and hopefully still be able to run my monitor at full Res and refresh?

As most have HDMI ports only and I see usually say 4K 30Hz etc .. just wondered if using the USB c port would let me go further

Might a case of try it and see, just thought someone else may have hit troubles with UWQHD or high refresh and how they worked around it

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
While I'm pretty sure hubs can support what you're asking it's not mandatory and I suspect far from universally supported. I'd only go for one that says it does it explicitly.

HDMI only recently supported that much bandwidth with the 2.1 release, so there's a good chance the HDMI port on your monitor wouldn't even manage it.

It's worth looking at docks with a normal DP connector though, some of them may support DP 1.3+ and have sufficient bandwidth

oneman

Got a Dell WD-19 dock off fleabay. There are loads, people get them from work, don't use them and flog them new. It supports your required resolution as I have QHD 165Hz and 1080p 60Hz connected to it. Tried it with Dell, Asus, Lenovo, HP laptops and works with them all. There is a HDMI and 2 X DP ports 1.4, plenty of USB, ethernet, audio and 135W or 180W power supply.

It obviously requires USB 3.1 or above.

hiphopapotamus

I actually found a very cheap option to do it in the end, so I will have a WD19 and WD19S to sell .. I got a bit overzealous on eBay and ended up with both.

Anyway, I got this and it supports full resolution and refresh rate for anyone in the same situation.

£29.99 on Amazon
Cable Matters USB C Multiport Adapter (USB C Hub with DisplayPort 8K), 2x USB 2.0, 480Mbps Ethernet, and 100W Charging in Black USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible for MacBook Pro and More

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom