Makeshift HTPC and DVI to HDMI queries!

clueless01

Standard Member
Hi All,

I'm hoping you can try and ease a headache of mine which is slowly developing into a small migraine.

I'm planning on upgrading my 4 year old Dell PC with a new processor and graphics card with the aim of turning into a makeshift HTPC, however, it will be situated about 5-6m away from my TV.

I have very limited knowledge on how to connect them (TV and HTPC) and the more I read, the more questions seemed to be raised.

Ideally I would like to store Blu Ray content on the HTPC and feed this to the TV and surf the internet.

DVI connection on the graphics card, HDMI on the TV. So, would it be a simple case of using a DVI to HDMI cable? Will the cable carry sound as well or do I need an additional cable to route from the sound card to the TV?

Can you recommend a graphics card (budget £125) and processor (£125) that will handle 1080p HD and Vista (basic surfing)?

Thanks in advance
Lee

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Yes, HDMI to DVI is fine - just remember this won't carry audio, you will need an optical output for that.
There are lots of ATI 3850/3870/4850 etc. cards that are fine.
You will need a decent processor to support the video decoding, I would suggest an Intel Core Duo Q6600.

clueless01

Standard Member
Thanks for the responses guys.

Starting to come to grips with the DVI to HDMI but the sound thing is bugging me a bit.

I'm assuming that I can just run a cable from my sound card on the back of the HTPC to the TV? What kind of cable is required?

Thanks in advance
Lee

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
If you do not have a AV system and the only sound is from the TV then the MBoard I suggested will feed audio straight to the TV via its HDMI connection. The Mboard has VGA as well as HDMI.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom