Make your PC look & feel like a Macbook

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gino_76ph, Dec 31, 2011.

1. gino_76ph

gino_76ph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi There!

I currently have an HP Windows 7 laptop. but i am getting tired of it and planning on buying a Macbook as my next laptop.

But how do i "make" my laptop feel & look like an Apple Mac. everything from the desktop shortcuts on the bottom of the main screen, one-click apps startup, one-button startup & shutdown, how the windows close or shrink and multi-screen desktops. (if possible)

as a separate question...what is the Windows equivalent of a Macbook Pro?

any advice please...?

2. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,586
    Don't bother - you might be able to make it look like OSX, but it will never perform better than it does now - it will just be Windows 7 with a different look.

PC laptops don't really have "stages" like the Macbook lines, so just look for similarly specced and priced laptops.

3. stuart_haydn

stuart_haydn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Did you see my thread 'Looking for a MacBookPro alternative'?

Although I am disappointed with the Samsung Chronos you've got to remember that the PC World version for £700 has only a slightly inferior spec to a MacBook costing £1750 - over £1000 more! And the John Lewis version for £850 has a significanly superior spec than the £1750 MacBook. But there are various issues with the Chronos. What Windows laptop manufacturers need to do is to spend a little more to improve the build quality and trackpad. A good quality Windows alternative to a MacBook costing £1000+ would still be a lot cheaper than the real thing.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  4. GSARider

GSARider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    But it still won't be the real thing...that's the issue. Until Windows PC hardware manufacturers start building their machines to complement the OS properly, they'll never be as good. And as far as spec goes, most Mac's which on paper, have lower specs than a PC, still run faster and smoother in most cases.

Sadly you're disappointed with your Chronos purchase and I hope you get something that you like.

5. gino_76ph

gino_76ph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If i can get away with NOt buying a Macbook (Pro) then i will due to financial reasons. if i can get away with having a better laptop with a Macbook pro then again why not.

I just want to know how can i "streamline" my laptop PC to look, feel & function like a Mac.

like for instance:

1. partitioning a hard drive - the Mac uses a slider to easily partition. with Windows its a bit fiddly and too techy. is there an easier and faster way to partition a hard drive?

2. the bottom taskbar on the main homescreen - with a Mac it can be crowded with loads of them shortcuts. with Windows i noticed you're only limited to some. how can i make the taskbar like that of a Mac i.e. the look of a Mac taskbar, the ability to put lots of shortcuts, etc.? basically not much clutter.

3. widgets and apps - i heard that when you install widgets it just adds more clutter thus slowing the RAM and whole system down unlike a Mac. is this true? and where can i download Windows widgets that doesn't look cluttery and doesn't uses memory/slows down the system?

4. dual boot - can i use Mac OS X to dual boot my Windows laptop? would that "confuse" my device?

5. Mission Control - this is one of Mac's wonders. it's like tab browsing but only diffrent homescreens. very easy and smooth to do on a Mac. can a Windows laptop do that?

6. one-button thing - i want my programmes and softwares to start-up very quickly and only with a one-button mouse click. how do i do that with Windows?

7. start-up & shutdown? - how can i make my Windows laptop boot-up quick in under say 10 seconds like a Mac? and shutdown very quickly? (without having to go to the Windows icon)

6. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,586
    Bottom line - no

OS difference between MacOS and Windows

That just sounds like a contradiction?!?

Again, a contradiction? You don't want clutter or slow the system down, but then you want to install widgets - that will clutter and slow your system?

I don't understand - you don't have MacOS on your Windows laptop. If you're asking if you can dual boot a MacBook to run either OSX or windows, then yes you can. But Windows runs on the Mac; you don't do anything with your laptop in that scenario

Not that I've seen

You don't. You get a Mac ;)

Again, it's the difference between MacOS and Windows OS, and the hardware they are on.

The simple fact is, and it's been said before - you cannot make a Windows laptop operate and behave like a Mac. Even the OSx86 project "Hackbooks" that can run MacOS don't run and function like Macs do. Some have had good success with them, but on the whole, reading about them, they are fiddly, unreliable and difficult to get working.

Simple answer - if you want a laptop that runs like a Mac, behaves like a Mac, and has all the Mac features - buy a Mac

7. phillyd1981

phillyd1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,465
    If you want your laptop to start/close faster you will need a ssd drive.
    Take a look at a prog called "rocket dock" for the mac like shortcuts.

8. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,586
  9. Educated Guess

Educated Guess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    How about Some extreme customisation to the OS. I currently use Rainmeter. With bit of tinkering you could easily get the mac look.

10. virtual_boy

virtual_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +436
    I had an old machine I themed to look like it was running OSX using WindowBlinds, I also added the OSX style dock using ObjectDock which was actually pretty good.

11. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Here's an alternative, do some research, find out what laptop will work natively with osx, get it and a copy of osx lion from apple and just hack it on. You can use a laptop as powerful as the most expensive MacBook pro at much less of a cost. And if you choose the right laptop it will be every bit as functional as a mac.

12. GSARider

GSARider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A heck of a lot of trouble to go to..! I replaced my Macbook Pro, which is now three years old with a Macbook Air as I wanted something lighter and easier to cart around. It's faster than the old pro and for £850 with the education store discount, a pretty good price too.

Unless you're doing heavy video editing in full HD, the Macbook Air is fast, light and very good. With a SSD drive, it boots up mega fast too.

13. gino_76ph

gino_76ph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My heart us set currently for the base model 15" version of the Macbook Pro.

But i heard the Macbook Air has 2 main disadvantages: it has only 1 fan and only 1 graphics card.

would you call that a disadvantage if all i will be doing is surfing the net, downloading music and uploading it to my Android devices (via 3rd-party software), printing documents, listening to music, downloading videos (via torrent) and uploading them to my devices, uploading photos to Facebook or Flicker, video chatting via Skype, basic editing of photos via Picassa...et al.

14. ducattigezzer

ducattigezzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    just buy a mac

the time and effort you spend trying to get a windows based laptop to look and work like mac then it not been quite right is going to be annoying.

also you mention in one of your posts you have a android device ,thats going work alright with windows but your going have fun with it on a mac

15. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,816
    This thread reminds me of the current VW Golf advert. :rolleyes: :laugh:

16. GSARider

GSARider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Air will manage all that and more with ease, a pro will be overkill. And the Air doesn't run hot that I have noticed and that's with it on a desk running 8 hours solid a day.

I do some video and image editing on it an as previously said it's way faster than the outgoing Pro.

You have no need to spend on the Pro, the Air will do everything you want and looks cool too.

17. phillyd1981

phillyd1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,465
    If you listen carefully it sounds just like a golf :rotfl:

18. gino_76ph

gino_76ph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Let's stick to the thread subject please....

I'm actually buying a 13" Macbook pro tomorrow (wednesday) over the phone and i've decided against the 15" one because i really think its an overkill considering what i plan to do to it.

So far my trip to Regeant Street this afternoon was productive. got almost all my questions answered and was impressed by the machines so far.

Only thing is iTunes. i love my music and i love listening to my Android phone/MP3 player going to & from work. i usually use a 3rd-party software to oraganise my music files. but that software has no Mac alternative.

19. GSARider

GSARider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well there are other mac alternatives for music, just google iTunes alternatives mac and they'll come up.

Was in Regent Street store myself at lunchtime, my office is 200 yards from there.

Picked up the Arc holder for the Air today. Also had a listen to the Beosound 8 and not impressed for £899 worth of sound dock! Zeppelin or Fidelio 9010 are way better.