1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make your own demo disk

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stellavision, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I have had the idea before, but was inspired again after reading the independent review posted about the SVS PB10 ISD. Instead of swapping disks all the time looking for their favourite scenes, the guys made their own compilation.
    I would like to do something like this on my pc.
    Has anyone else tried this?
    The sound of course needs to be in Dolby Digital or DTS.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I've thought about this and was also going to include the Dolby and DTS trailers. I got involved with other DVD projects so shelved the idea for now.

Should be straight forward enough to do with the right software.....

I would avoid any re-encoding and thus maintain the original pic and sound quality, which is the point of the project anyway.

So It's going to be about 1 hour in length, unless you have a dual layer writer.

Use DVD Shrink to extract the actual clips (in VOB format).

You then need to convert this to mpeg which most of the below should do.
    (or use TMPG DVD Author for this)

The tricky bit is authoring with 5.1 as only a few (affordable) DVD authoring programs support it.....

(You're going to have to go beyond basic authoring software like TMPG DVD Author, which AFAIAW does not support DD5.1)

ULead DVD Workshop 2.0 (DD 5.1, not DTS)

DVD Lab (DD 5.1 & DTS)

Sony DVD Archietect 2 (DD 5.1, not sure about DTS).

These are the ones that I know of.

I have used DVD WS 2 with DD5.1 no problems.

Also, you have to keep different formats as seperate titles, i,e 16:9 and 4:3, DD and DTS (unless using multi-audio tracks)
    I upscale 4:3 non-ana Letterbox to 16:9 anamorphic with VideoDub as it saves me using my TV Zoom, plus the quality looks better.

Also you can't mix standards, so it's either PAL or NTSC.
    I usually convert ntsc clips to PAL with Canopus Procoder 2 and use BeSweet and Soft Encode to re-encode the 5.1 sound (speed it up!)

If you want to do any fancy editing like adding transitions, titles etc then you're going to need some expensive editing software that also supports 5.1 (Sony Vegas perhaps?). I wouldn't bother, although you can do simple trims and join clips with TMPGenc or Womble's mpeg Video Wizard 2003 as no re-encoding is involved.

I've done several compilation DVDs using film clips with 5.1 audio, so if you need any more help just let me know.

Good luck!
    (Did I say it was 'straight forward'?) ;)

3. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks. I'll give it a go and post my success, if I have any. :rolleyes:
    :D