1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make your own anamorphic lens.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tahustvedt, Jun 30, 2002.

1. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have made a few of my own anamorphic lnses the last week. It's very easy to do and requires common tools and materials.

[​IMG]

I won't describe the whole construction method here n this post. Instead I wil give you the basics and a link to the article I wrote on AVSforum. I will make a website for it later, but for now the article on AVS is the only one:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151081

Here is the website which gave me the information I needed to start my project:
    http://ww2.bepo.com/jochen/anamorph/

You need two prisms, one filled with turpentine oil and one filled with water. The reason for this is together they "cancel" the chromatic aberation that will occur. Do a google search for "chromatic abberation".

The prisms need to have specific peak-angles:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

They also need to be mounted at a specific angle respective to each other:
    [​IMG]

This lens will compress the picture optically from 4:3 to 16:9 so that you will be able to take advantage of the full panel-resolution of digital-projectors.

The advantages are:
    -Added brightness (depends on quality of the glass).
    -Closer/less visible screendoor.
    -Smoother picture because of the higher projection-resolution.

The drawbacks are:
    -Slight pincushion effect to the geometry of the picture (I have come up with an optical solution, for this :) ).
    -That's it. :)

Now go ahead and make one for yourself.

Tor Arne

2. Paul O Hale

Paul O Hale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a shame about the AVS clamp down on the DIY prism assembly threads, I personally think it is a mistake on their part

(spelling edit)

3. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's their loss IMO..

I have received over 20 E-mails and PMs in the last 24 hrs regarding the lens. :)

It's so simple to do that you have to try it. It takes me an evening to make both prisms now. Cutting the glass and glueing it together is a piece of cake.

Tor Arne

4. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I've followed the 'DIY panamorhic tread on AVS Science.
    I'm very concerned though. Why has Alan Couger pulled the plug on this one?. Is there some rational to this. Is tahustvedt
    a fraud? . Is tahustvedt undercutting commercial companies and thus causing panic with sponsorship. The whole thing stinks worse than months old Norwegian Kippers.

5. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A fraud?

Err.. I am only me, and the only reason I'm posting this is to show people that it can be done quite easilly.

AVSforum sells Panamorph lenses and were threatened by Panamorph to remove the thread.

Tor Arne

6. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Tor Arne I was trying to be ironic. Seriously though. Why has Alan Cougar (administrator) barred any more discussion on your DIY lens, over at AV Science? And before anyone says "why don't you discuss this on AVScience ?". Well you can't any further mention of this topic is strangled. Very odd, very intrigueing, very frustrating.

7. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    tahustvedt,

Considering the sensitivity of AVSForum to DIY anamorphic lenses as well as discussing or mentioning PrismaSonic, can you please repost your instruction in this forum.

8. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tor Arne,

I think you will find this forum completely free of commercial bias and can post anything within reason. I noticed the thread which a certain person posted about the projector which would beat all other projectors and after much guesswork people realised it was just another advert for a panamorph in a new case!. I can understand why they want to advertise their products and affiliations but to stifle the spirit of home cinema will lead enthusiasts to seek other forums which do not suffer from this..

Anyway I will have to try and make my own anamorphic lens when I get time, in the meantime is there any chance of posting some screen shots of it in action? :)

All the best
    James

10. Mad Chemist

Mad Chemist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow. Found a new forum and a thread I was following on AVS before it got yanked. I wish I had found this forum before, it looks quite active and less censorship.

11. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can post screnshots when I figure out how to adjust my camera for that kind of lighting. I used to be able to get good screenshot-pictures but I don't remember what I did. :)

Tor Arne

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any thoughts on selling them to other AVForum members? Unfortunatly I have access to 0 tools, and living in a flat I dont really have anywhere to make them.

13. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I didn't have the chance to tell this, tahusvedt, so I say it now: great job.

One question: do all prism arrangements work by vertical compression or horizontal expansion?

Thanks.

14. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By tilting the lens on it's side and projecting through it the wrong way you will expant the picture horisontally instead.

Tor Arne