1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make Poverty History Campaign - Petition

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by blade_922, Jul 4, 2005.

1. blade_922

blade_922

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make Poverty History Petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/MPH2015/petition.html

NOW IS THE TIME, THIS IS THE YEAR - OUR LEADERS HAVE THE POWER TO END POVERTY - BUT WE HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE THEM USE IT

1 message... To get those 8 men, in that 1 room, to stop 30,000 children dying every single day of extreme poverty.

We don't want your money - we want you!

2. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Are you saying this will put an end to 30,000 children dying every single day?

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not that, just getting those 8 to listen i think

If (very big) they will

4. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    He is saying just do IT!

5. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no thanks, not interested in signing this.

6. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    excellent idea to post this this blade, chard if you dont want to do it dont, you dont have to express your dismay about live 8 every moment you get

7. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so you want to silence all fair criticism of this campaign ? my post was a simple rejection of this petition, don't read it if it offends you mate...but trying to silence people is a little Big Brother, don't you think? :(

8. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    While I may not agree with the posey pop stars, who, as someone said the other day are actually stealing the limelight from REAL campaigns, I cannot see any problem with putting pressure on the g8 leaders to do something about poverty they have in no small way helped to create.

Or do certain people have concerns about putting their name down on a list that mr, 'big business says jump and I say how high' Bush's black suited, armani shaded, enforcers might see? ;) :D

9. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wrong target.....aim a campaign against the many corrupt third world leaders particularly in Africa and change can happen, unless you simply want to see one of these concerts every 20 years or so.....I don't.

I agree with the american view that extra money must be targetted towards countries who demonstrate good governance, rather than this hysteriacal political anti western rant which will spray the aid money against the wall of corruption and waste.

if there is a petition against Mugabe or the unfair CAP, let me know and I would be happy to sign....

10. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Chard - you could start a petition against Robert Mugabe yourself, or the CAP for that matter.

11. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Well done. Thanks for telling us. :boring:

12. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    OUt of curiousity how much extra tax is everyone willing to pay for this. After all if we wipe out 3rd world debt we loss the income (less money cominy in) from the interest and if we increase the aid (more money going out) this money has to be found from somewhere, and the normal route is tax.

So how much are people willing to pay 1p in the pound 5p in the pound?

13. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    How is that going to work when large numbers of these regimes are propped up by the West? As they are in Asia, South America......

That is a just a cop out by the US. They didn't/don't mind throwing money at countries that manifestly failed to show 'good governance' when it suits them, so getting all high and mighty with Africa now is nothing more than hot air used as a veener to cover the truth. I.e. he needs to save money.

Having wasted a fortune on messing up the US economy, and caused a spiralling US (out of control) national debt, Bush feels he needs to be supporting 'charity' like a drowning man needs water pouring over him. ;)

Frankly, you can't believe a word that guy says anymore about anything. We moan (justifiably) about Blairs dossier, and yet here's Bush caught pants down, with his staff editing documents that clearly make the case for global warming, just to suit the Bush regimes tastes. Wonder what else his 'merry men' have doctored? Watch this space.......................

He'd sell his own granny to keep corporate America happy. ;)

As usual petty national, or personal politics, gets in the way of helping millions............

14. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I have been thinking about this quite a lot because I have now decided that I must be self centered as I believe the taxs that I pay go to Local Goverment, Central Goverment, and European Goverment, who spend that money on things that to greater or lesser extends benifit me (or should do) at this time we are not in a world (or for that matter Africian) goverment. I have no vote in Africian affairs therefore my taxs should not be going there "no taxation without reprentation".

If people wish there money to go to Africa then there are plenty of charities that they can donate to, I agree that Africa needs help I just think that we should have a choice.

15. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    too right, this is where these people draw the line.....they want the government to give more money without feeling it from their own wallets - there is no reason they can't handout extra money to their own favourite charity or their local hospital....or send Mugabe a couple of new hand made shirts.....

....the problem is, they want to dictate how my money is spent, without allowing the sensible conditions as well. Recent evidence shows that the extra Billions being spent on the NHS is not working without the reforms that the Tory's asked for - chucking money at African leaders will be just as great a waste.

Still it seems some people don't care - they just need to feel they are doing something without worrying whether or not things are actually getting better :thumbsdow

16. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    You're right, some people don't care. They just pretend its because they're worried about 'where the money is going'.

I'd rather they just were honest and said 'I don't give a stuff'.

I'm quite happy as citizen of a wealthy nation to give both my hard earned taxes and charity money to Africa. We can afford it.

Can't resist it can you m8! :D

17. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I think it depends on what end of the pay scale you are on and maybe where you live. If you live in London and are on less than £20K per annum then taxes going up and lossing an extra £20+ per month is really going to be felt.

If you believe that as a nation we should pay for other nations then why not put in a super tax so that those who earn more than £75k per annum pay 50% but I'v just realised why that would not work as they would put themselves in a tax haven.

It is not fair to put the average working man into more debt, either make the rich pay and loose tax havens world wide, or accept that there is no such thing as utopia.

18. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    TBH i'd rather give money to a charitable organisation in the UK such as cancer research than give money to Africa.

19. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so exactly how much extra will you be posting to the Zimbabwe Government then ? will you be sending any extra money or just spouting on endlessly about how someone has to do something ? :rolleyes:

you don't have to wait for the government to do anything - you and other signatories of this petition can set up a direct debit today......

....thought not.....its easier just to sit back and make the right noises isn't it mate :thumbsdow

personally I am all for giving real help - setting up UN hospitals and UN field kitchens to feed these people and ensure that NO cash goes into the wrong hands......

But then that would mean saving starving people rather than the careers of Mugabe and fading popstars ;)

20. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    I know those G8 protesting morons are a different lot to the Live8 people, but why does this rent-a-mob get away with it time and time again, someone should run them over in their police vans and do us all a favour ;)

21. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,221
    So do you think every time someone post somthing supporting a good cause, every person who does not give a toss should come here and say they are not going to sign it.

How the hell can someone not be told not to read something if it offends them, they have to read it first to find out if it does, or do you class all your post as to offend helpfull people.

22. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well obviously, yes.....this person asked if we would sign this petition - what is wrong with saying - politely as I did - no ?

A second poster had already questioned this original post before me.

My other point was that he could simply have chosen to ignore my response.

If the poster requires that people only post positive responses that serve to support his view then perhaps he can make it clear that he would like a happy, smiley thread, with no questions or deviation and I will be happy to comply. :) :) :) :) :)

as for....
    ...... a little strong imho..... :)

23. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
  24. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,221
    Your point was if the person did not like your reply he should not have read it Quote don't read it if it offends.

Bit hard to know before hand isn’t it.

Fair comment if you had given a reason for not signing it but your first post came across as trolling, till late you gave your reasons.

PS don’t read this post if it offend, you have been warned. :laugh:

25. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hardly trolling, I simply stated that I would not want to sign the petition - in fact I didn't go into details because we had discussed this issue in other threads.

26. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    What are you on about? This is typical. Fixate on one issue to divert from the rest.

To what? I already contribute to several charities.

Well, you would know.

Sounds good to me.
    ......as does that. :D

:rotfl:

27. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Go ahead and do it then ! Why should the ordinary man and woman pick up Africa's debt ?

Poverty is caused because of the 5% of people in the world who own 95% of the wealth. Do you know the combined wealth of the "celebrities" who played at Live8 - just in Hyde Park ? Well over 2 billion pounds ! And that's not including the revenue from extra album sales as a direct effect of this event. They're some of the people causing the problem, not me ! Let them pay.

28. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Can't remember who said it at live8, but it was something like:

"Why should where you are born in the world decide whether you have a right to life or not?"

I agree that the governments in these countries need sorting out, but the children of Africa did not ask for corrupt governence, they were born to a country with one. All they ask for is a chance of life. I for one are more than happy to help them out.

29. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    spot on....however, you can see here that what they want is for you and I to pay more.....

I have huge sympathy with this view mate- but it doesn't work. If you give the money, as after Live Aid to Ethiopia in 1985, half the food went to feed the army and for sale to neighbouring countries - and we are back to square one 20 years later. We need to sort out the governance first.

30. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Im the same m8. As harsh as it may sound- charity begins at home and with things that have a closer impact on OUR day to day lives.

I feel sorry for the likes of Africa etc (well in part) but I would say that we have to look after our own first- and then begin or look at helping other is mass scale.