1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make my mind up-Sony or Panasonic?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by emrysdavies, Sep 10, 2005.

1. emrysdavies

emrysdavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have narrowed my search down to three. The details I give are those offerered by my local Comet.

Sony KDLS32A12 for £1,399.99 with DVD (Player and recorder) included.

Sony (Wega Engine) KDLV32A12 £1,799.99

Panasonic £1,799.99 TX32LXD500

I am simply interested in the merits of the respective TV's. Once I have made my mind up I will probably go to John Lewis where they provide a five year guarantee.

Any views will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Emrys Davies.

2. Andy M

Andy M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Panasonic for me :)
    Sorry I cant tell you which one to buy since I went with Mag reviews and a viewing against the Sony A12 in J lewis. However, they did price match HiSpek to £1549 for the Panasonic 500 (and gave free 5 year guarantee). Currenty a two-three week waiting list for a very popular set. :thumbsup: They did not have the latest Sony V. Saw it in comet and looked nice.

Quite like the idea of being able to record tv programs on to SD straight from the set. Hopefully can copy the Mpeg 4 via PC on to sony card for psp viewing on planes etc.

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Emrys,

Both Sony and Panasonic are excellent makes, but you seem to be assuming that all examples of a certain model are the same.

In reality, when tolerances and factory adjustments are taken into consideration, one Sony will beat one Panny and vice versa.

However, all is not lost.

Your decision to go to John Lewis is a good one, but not just for the guarantee.

The JL policy of swapping TV's until you're satisfied was the clincher for me. :thumbsup:

Good luck. :)

4. simonatkins

simonatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Emrys,

I spent a lot of time trying to convince myself I needed the Phillips ambilight 32" model. In the end after reading only a few reviews of the sony, I went for the Sony KDLV32A12. I can highly recommend it. It sits snugly on my wall and I even managed to convert an LCD TV heathen (my wife) to liking it. Search for the KDLV model name on this forum to see other very useful responses. Personally, I bought mine of from DiscountAudioVision. Took < 4 days to arrive from being charged and was around £1450. You get standard 1 year warranty, but can get an extended warranty if required.

I have combined mine with a Topfield 5800 PVR to be able to record TV, amongst a whole multitude of other things it can do. Its the best PVR on the market. Although the shortly to be released HUMAX 9200T looks promising....

The only thing I don't like about the sony is the digital TV User interface colour scheme: orange, black and white. yuk. But then as mentioned above I use the Topfield anyway for digital TV which has a much nicer UI.
    rgds
    Simon