• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Make MKV question

bubblegum57

I am using Make MKV to rip my DVDs and Blu-ray Discs.

I'm a big fan of the film Broken Flowers, but this is currently only available in France with an English soundtrack and forced French subtitles.

If I buy it will I be able to remove the forced subs with MKV?

Cheers.

Steve W

Doesn't answer your question, although I googled to ask about embedded subs, I don't think it is possible.

However you can buy the DVD from Amazon Broken Flowers [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Film & TV

Pecker

Distinguished Member

bubblegum57

"If I buy it will I be able to remove the forced subs with MKV?"

"I have the DVD, but thanks anyway" ????

I don't know whether Make MKV can, but I expect something like Handbrake or Format Factory could.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

figrin_dan

That's great to hear. Can you now add unforced subs?

Pecker

Distinguished Member
That's great to hear. Can you now add unforced subs?

Yes, I think that came with the last update.

Unfortunately they haven't yet developed a way to include subs which don't exist - otherwise I'd be importing Cyrano de Bergerac.

:D

And of course, even if you don't have a media player per se, if your Blu-ray Disc player has a USB in and will play HD MKVs, then as long as you have a BD drive for your PC you can rip the disc (without subs) and play it back.

Steve W

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
If you want to add subs, just get MKVmerge and drag and drop in your subtitles file along with the movie.mkv and click on "start muxing", it will generate a new mkv file with the subtitles embedded within it.

All the media and chapter data from the original file is preserved.

figrin_dan

That's interesting - Can I download subtitle files for films that I have without English subtitles?

Pecker

Distinguished Member
If you want to add subs, just get MKVmerge and drag and drop in your subtitles file along with the movie.mkv and click on "start muxing", it will generate a new mkv file with the subtitles embedded within it.

All the media and chapter data from the original file is preserved.

So I could buy the French Blu-ray Disc of Cyrano de Bergerac and either a PAL or NTSC DVD (depending on whether the BD is 1080p/24 or 1080i/50) and slap the SD English subtitles on the sub-less high def picture?

Is it easy to do?

What about problems with synching if they have different length studio/distributor logos at the start?

Steve W

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
Yes you can input any subs, search Google for opensubtitles , there is the risk of a time difference depending on who created the subs for what. There are editing programs for subs like Subtitle Edit and you can adjust the time stamps if your really dedicated though that can be a lot of work, [subedit has a visual sync tool which helps]. Subtitle Edit can also convert the subs to srt format for nicer presentation.

The easiest way to extract subs from a DVD or Blu-ray movie is;
1) Rip movie with MakeMKV taking all subtitle tracks.
2) ID the desired subtitle track by playing movie.mkv in VLC and cycle through the subs to make sure you have the right track number.
3) Use MKVCleaver to extract the subtitles.
4) Feed the subtitles into subtitle editing program like Subtitle Edit for conversion to srt (this step is optional)
5) Using MKVMerge drag and drop your subs into your other movie.mkv and merge a new file with them in place.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom