• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

MAKE MKV - HANDBRAKE

copperbeeches

Novice Member
I have been using MakeMKV in combo with HANDBRAKE to transfer over some of my favourite BR discs to mp4s. Everything has been OK until yesterday when I got a really odd reading by HANDBRAKE of the original BR disc as copied via MakeMKV. This was a full 1920x1080p BR - but the reading came out as below:-

RATIO.png

Even though HANDBRAKE identified the Source as 1920x1080p it gave a max width & height of only 1678x944 (which couldn't be increased, only lowered). More concerning was the Cropping reading which seems to be all over the place (36:206:14:122). I carried out the transfer via HANDBRAKE but (you guessed it) I got a weirdly cropped image on playback with a lot of information on the right and lower edge of the frame completely missing. I tried the original BR with MakeMKV for a second time - but the reading was still the same as above. I have since tried 2 other BR discs and got a correct reading with both showing the Source as 1920x1080p, ditto for the Output and a Cropping reading of 0:0:0:0.
Does anyone have any suggestions why this might have happened?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Try changing Anamorphic to "Strict" and not "loose"

Just a suggestion as that should help to keep the correct A/R. I haven't used Handbrake for ages so perhaps someone else will come up with a better suggestion.

copperbeeches

Novice Member
Thanks for your advice, SB - the reason that I use "Loose" over "Strict" is because I usually reduce the image to 1280x720 to save on file size.

Following on from my previous posting I have ripped 3 further BRs without any picture ratio/cropping problems but then last night a further BR gave really odd readings.

I copied both the main feature & a featurette from the BR - both should have been 1920x1080p. However, although the featurette gave the correct reading as below:
DOC.png

the main feature came up with this oddly cropped reading:
MAIN.png

Both were copied from the same disc via MakeMKV yet gave different readings when read via HANDBRAKE. I am at a loss trying to explain it?
As you can see above BOTH show the Source as 1920x1080p.
In the end I adjusted the Picture Settings/Cropping to a Custom reading of 0:0:0:0 and the resulting playback was as per the original BR disc.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom