Make LG BP125 DVD Player Region-Free

Jules Tohpipi

Just done this today to my LG BP556. Worked perfectly. Thank you very much to all who contributed to this thread.

I stumbled briefly at the disc burning stage. Here's what worked for me under Windows 7:
-Inserted a blank CD-R into my CD writer
-In Windows Explorer, I dragged the 'violet0000' folder across to the left column and onto the Drive letter of my CD burner
-In Windows Explorer, I right-clicked on the CD burner's Drive letter and selected 'Burn'
-Ticked the option that said 'For use on a CD/DVD player' (can't remember the exact words)
-Burned the disc
-After burning, I said I had finished i.e. no more files to add to the disc

Thanks again everyone, especially Mr ifixit!

LD2

Novice Member
Hello,

My Bluray is a new purchase, UK , LGBP250. I have been trying to get this region free following the steps that have outlined, but so far it is just not working for me - however I refuse to give up seeing everybody has been able to make it work positively! Firstly- I only have a mac. Does this not work on Macs? I DO feel I am almost there....

I changed the extension to dvd properly I believe using (command i) and going into 'names and extensions' - it acknowledged I was changing the file type. It becomes a document instead of a text file on the mac.
I then made the two folders rubicon and Violet0000. Rubicon goes in violet and the new dvd file goes in rubicon.
Then I selected violet and asked to burn folder to disc. This it does automatically and doesn't give you a choice of the type of disc you want to burn. The inbuilt burner is matsh*ta. It's an old mac from 2010. Am I doing something wrong?

It reads in the Blu-ray player but says it's a data disc - the rubicon folder is recognised so it shows up but when you go into it, it says "there is no playable movie content"

So I MUST be doing something wrong. It seems quite straight forward , so what I missing? A PC? !

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!

andrew64

Novice Member
Worked perfectly for me first time. Box labelled Feb 2019 (BP250) so definitely works with current stock. Thanks for instruction.
Only confusing thing is firmware version has higher number than version on LG update site. So I'll leave it as it is.
Cheers to all.

StateOfMind

Novice Member
worked a treat,, here is iso,, to write to cdr, makes it easyier for people. iam not original poster so please , thank person who originaly did this ive only made it into a iso to make it easier for people.

all you do now is UNPACK RAR FILE DROP ISO TO DESKTOP write it with any cdr writer software as a img / iso..

switch on LG unit to multi region / insert cdr shut draw / once inserted switch off lg unit / switch back on, you will be presented with blue screen to show you what region your on , press 0 then press pause,, wallah unit will return to main menu,, " YOU WILL NOW BE MULTI REGION DVD READY" SIMPLE.
So I did this and it actually made me able to play America region Blu-rays (I'm from UK region).

So a huge thanks to you mate :)

EDIT: For clarification, my player is from my region (UK) and is BP125

Toby50

Novice Member
As I'm pretty computer illiterate, is there anyone in Australia who could copy me a CD-R to convert my LG BP 250 to a multi zone player. Would be happy to pay for any costs including postage. I have read the above instructions that so many have found easy and it doesn't make any sense to me. I am in Geelong, Victoria. Thank you

JKNZ168

Novice Member
Hi I just today successfully !! enabled the Region free option for an LG BP 125 blu ray player. Player bought from Harvey Norman or Farmers in NZ a couple of years back for my in laws. It would not play some region 2 DVD discs that were bought in NZ.

The CD (or CDRW) should be saved as an ISO disc - we first just did it as a CD with a file saved and it would not load. I used POWERISO to firstly create an ISO file which is the folder Violet0000 (= Folder containing Rubicon folder which in turn has the file MontBlanc.dvd file ). Then used PowerISO to create an iso disc from that ISO file.

make iso from folder - Google Search

I will try and upload screenshots if it will help anyone.

When inserted in the player, a basic option menu appears and for us it showed the player was Region 4 ( Australia /NZ) . We changed it to 0 and pressed the 'Pause' button to save it. Removing and restarting it played the region 2 DVDs and also some UK Blu ray discs that we had. Hope this helps.

LG BP440 region code - VideoHelp

Wallyc

Novice Member
I was healthily skeptical about this fix and I am so amazed!! Thank you from sunny Singapore to the people who took the time to explain the steps as well as IFIXIT. I have a LG BP250 with Region 3 and it is now able to play the set of DVDs that I bought without checking that they were for Region 1.

I used the Express CD Burner from NCH as recommended and used the Data CD option, all other settings were as defaulted.

Now back to my DVDs... :)

jk61

Standard Member
I recently bought a LG BP125 labeled Region 4 ( Latin America/Mexico/Australia /NZ) and the method described in this forum worked fine before AND after firmware update. However, it does not work for my other Region 1 (USA/Canada) LG players including two LG BP125 units. It appears that the method works for at least Region 2, 3, 4 (and possibly 5, 6) but NOT Region 1 players regardless of firmware version. The Region setting is stored in internal memory under “EEPROM_REGION_CODE”. I wish the original person (ifixit?) who did reverse engineering and discovered the MontBlanc file name can tell us how it was done so we can find out more about the “impossible” Region 1 player. Thanks.

Andy52

Novice Member
I joined the forum specifically to announce that this fix worked for my LG BP125. I'm in the UK (Region 2) and the player is now multi-region, at least for DVDs (don't have any blu-rays, other than R2, so can't say if it works for BR discs).

This wasn't the first time I tried to make it region free. I must have ploughed through dozens of websites and tried at least five other 'fixes', none of which worked. So, huge thanks to ifixit. I'd also recommend the posts by Raquel Darrian and Allymando, which clarify some points. In addition, for what it's worth, I found that using the free edition of Nero to burn onto a DVD-R disc worked for me, even though some recommend using a CD-disc.

Happy viewing, everyone!

ei4kn

Novice Member
This worked on my UBK80 UHD player for DVD playback - thanks. I didn't have a blank CD so I used a 25Gb BD-RE and burned the ISO with Imgburn.

MAHERBALL

Novice Member
Hi All,
I am looking for advise here. I have a new UBK80 region 1 US. I have tried almost everything suggested in this thread (windows 10 burner, burnerco, ISo with imgburn) even tried data CD andplayable on DVD/cD. In every case my player either comes back with a check disk or sees it as a data disk with no playable content (can navigate the folder system). Has anyone successfully done this on a US player like me? If so any chance you can share an ISO file? Can this be done with a usb stick?
Thanks

byebye

Novice Member
The MontBlanc trick did work with LG UBK90 region 2 Fr (02/2018).
I tried several times in order to find the good one.

In the end, it works with:
- CDRW. (not a DVD...)
- path /Violet0000/Rubicon
- "MontBlanc.DVD" file
- Windows 10 explorer "inhouse" utility to burn CDR

Not sure that the uppercases matter, but I don't want to test all the combinations to see what it matters and what it does not.

To burn the CDRW, Windows 10 Explorer utility worked fine for me: choose "CD option" (not USB option) after erasing the CDR (if it's an old one), and then, juste copy/past the /Violet0000/Rubicon/MontBlanc.DVD to the CDR ; delete all unwanted files (such as the one that is automatically created by this damn windows) and burn the CDRW.

bod1611

Novice Member
Hi, hoping someone can help me out as it's now driving me mad!! I've followed the instructions closely but each time i put the CD-R into the LG BP250, it detects it as a data disc. I've ensured that the Windows 10 option of CD/DVD is selected and even burnt the ISO image in this thread using CDBurnerXP and i'm onto my 4th CD now. I'm no expert in CDBurnerXP but i would have expected that route to be free of troubles but unfortunately not. When i navigate to the folder via the BP, it just doesn't detect a playable media there (which might be OK) but on startup, it flashes up 'Data' with the disc in the top left hand corner which i'm presuming is the reason i'm not getting the menu i need. For reference, i bought this BP in 2011, it's just took 9 years for me to need to play US DVDs rather than just UK ones. So it's either a reluctance of my Windows to burn anything but a data CD (even if i'm using CDBurnerXP) or my BP250 isn't playing ball. Anyone got any ideas?

BadgerBlu

Novice Member
So I did this and it actually made me able to play America region Blu-rays (I'm from UK region).

So a huge thanks to you mate :)

EDIT: For clarification, my player is from my region (UK) and is BP125
Are you absolutely sure it worked for Blu-Ray as well as DVD? I'm from UK too and it worked for me but only for DVD not Blu-Ray.

It may be a difference in the players, I guess? My player is LG UBK80 (UK).

I think I'm going to have to buy a new player as I need to be able to play Region 1 (and other) Blu-Rays. I really thought it could be hacked to go region free. :facepalm:

Thanks again to those posting and helping others with the hack.

jrk36

Novice Member
The answer is yes actually it's reasonably easy to region free any LG bp125 blueray player.

To access the secret region menu required some reverse engineering and i found the solution. Similar to how other models are region free'd for LG.

How to

You need to write this folder and it's files onto a burnable CD, i used windows 7 built in burning and just wrote the folder to the disk.

Folder heirachy is.

\violet0000\rubicon\
Hi there, I've just purchased a LG BP250 this week and this is set to Region 4, and I've lots of overseas DVD's.

So, I download the MontBlanc.txt file you provided, change its file format to ".dvd" and placed it the folder structure "\Violet0000\Rubicon\ ". I've burnt it to DVD twice now - once using windows 10 native facilities and once using BurnAware Free.
However when I load either DVD into the BP250 it recognises it as a Data Disc, but I simply get the normal Menu options - see attached. NB: powering BP250 off/on it still comes up with the same Menu options - no sign of Black or Blue screen to select Region.
I've read the disc on my PC and it very definitely has the correct folder structure and the MontBlanc.txt file with file type altered to MontBlanc.dvd - see attached.

Any ideas?

Attachments

Last edited:

jrk36

Novice Member
I got there using ByeBye's tip above - i.e. use CD-R and not DVD R.
Or maybe I just got lucky on third attempt?
All good now with full Multi Region DVD on my LG BP250

jrk36

Novice Member
The MontBlanc trick did work with LG UBK90 region 2 Fr (02/2018).
I tried several times in order to find the good one.

In the end, it works with:
- CDRW. (not a DVD...)
- path /Violet0000/Rubicon
- "MontBlanc.DVD" file
- Windows 10 explorer "inhouse" utility to burn CDR
This worked for me, thank you.
LG BP250 now Region Free on DVD

jrk36

Novice Member
The key point was the CDROM, instead of DVDROM ; right?
Absolutely correct. I'd burnt two DVD'S using different burning programs and neither worked. Using exactly the same folder structure and the same file, I burnt CD using standard Windows 10 facility and it magically worked. Thanks for that.

Guillermo

Novice Member
The answer is yes actually it's reasonably easy to region free any LG bp125 blueray player.

To access the secret region menu required some reverse engineering and i found the solution. Similar to how other models are region free'd for LG.

How to

You need to write this folder and it's files onto a burnable CD, i used windows 7 built in burning and just wrote the folder to the disk.

Folder heirachy is.

\violet0000\rubicon\

you will need to place this file in the rubicon directory and you must rename it MontBlanc.DVD

Then place the cd in the player and switch on it will read the disk and the region change menu will open. select 0 for region free then press pause on your remote to save..DONE, tested worked 1st time for me. and confirmed my region 4 is now playing any region dvd.. haven't tried blurays.

remember rename MontBlanc.txt MontBlanc.dvd, place it on the writeable cd in CD-drive-LETTER-of your-PC:\Violet0000\Rubicon\

ojnce you have burned it, place it in your LG blueray BP125 and turn on, menu shouldf appear, it's says everything in the menu but for the weary select 0 on your remote, then pause, restart DONE!
I joined the forum specifically to announce that this fix worked for my LG BP-125D. I'm in Chile (Region 4) and the player is now multi-region, at least for DVDs. I can confirm, three years later, that the fix published by ifixit totally works! It was like magic... Just follow the steps and you can't go wrong... THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Thank you ifixit!

Hi guys, just looking to see what would work with NA models. I am able to execute pretty much any script on the player thanks to the Pandora exploit. I am able to get to /mnt/ubi_boot/var/local/acfg/config_file.txt and I can see that configuration settings from the interface get saved there. However when I change the region settings (at addresses 03E3 and 0408) I do not see them working, and I see that they revert back from 00 to 01 when the player is restarted. Any more colour on how the system file(s) need to be edited? Many thanks!

UPDATE: Has worked after all. I simply forgot to sync to flash after config file rewrite. BD350 now plays all my discs from Regions 1, 2 and 5. Have not tried with Blu-ray yet but know the general route.

UPDATE 2: I believe the data CD trick should work with NA models as well, just the code names of the data structure must be different. Does anyone happen to know where on the player the codes might be located? I am able to dump pretty much the entire /dev/mtd* if I need to.

Last edited:

jk61

Standard Member
Hi guys, just looking to see what would work with NA models. I am able to execute pretty much any script on the player thanks to the Pandora exploit. I am able to get to /mnt/ubi_boot/var/local/acfg/config_file.txt and I can see that configuration settings from the interface get saved there. However when I change the region settings (at addresses 03E3 and 0408) I do not see them working, and I see that they revert back from 00 to 01 when the player is restarted. Any more colour on how the system file(s) need to be edited? Many thanks!

UPDATE: Has worked after all. I simply forgot to sync to flash after config file rewrite. BD350 now plays all my discs from Regions 1, 2 and 5. Have not tried with Blu-ray yet but know the general route.

UPDATE 2: I believe the data CD trick should work with NA models as well, just the code names of the data structure must be different. Does anyone happen to know where on the player the codes might be located? I am able to dump pretty much the entire /dev/mtd* if I need to.
How do you "sync to flash"? Do you use nand write or Linux command such as dd/cp/cat to rewrite/alter /dev/mtd25 (for example)? Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 12th July 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett