Quantcast

Make LG BP125 DVD Player Region-Free

Allymando

I don't understand. I did everything and it's not working. The player just sees it as a data disc. I don't know what I am doing wrong.
Hi Peter, I had a few attempts before it worked for me, but I think you're nearly there? When you burn the disc choose the option for a disc that can be read by a CD player, DVD or Blu-ray player, not a Data disc. Assuming you've got the earlier parts correct. (ie. you've changed the extension of the MontBlanc file, not just changed the name?) then when you load your disc you should get the blue ( ... or black in my player) screen with the change options.

Allymando

Oh, I see. I got to find a software that have this option now. What should I use?
I usually use Nero to burn my discs and it always asks "what type of disc do you want to burn?" But when I burned the disc for this procedure I used the inbuilt Windows software ( ... Windows 7 in my case), as recommended by the previous contributors to the thread. It also gave me the option to burn a data disc or a CD/DVD type disc. Unfortunately I'm using a Chromebook at present to send you this reply so I can't double check my exact method, but if you're using Windows yourself go in to the help section and type "burning a disc with Windows" and it should give the relative info you need?

PeterTremblay

Novice Member
I usually use Nero to burn my discs and it always asks "what type of disc do you want to burn?" But when I burned the disc for this procedure I used the inbuilt Windows software ( ... Windows 7 in my case), as recommended by the previous contributors to the thread. It also gave me the option to burn a data disc or a CD/DVD type disc. Unfortunately I'm using a Chromebook at present to send you this reply so I can't double check my exact method, but if you're using Windows yourself go in to the help section and type "burning a disc with Windows" and it should give the relative info you need?
I forgot to mention that I am using a Mac… Nero is pretty expensive, so maybe with a virtual machine I could try to use the inbuilt Windows software.

Allymando

Hi Peter, Sorry but I've never ever used a Mac, so I can't offer you any advice. To be honest I wouldn't really recommend buying Nero anyway. I only use it because it came packaged with my Windows computer. Although I freely admit I know absolutely nothing about Macs, there surely must be some way of choosing to burn a CD/DVD type disc? For instance, what if you had some mp3 files you wanted to burn to a disc, but you wanted the disc to be an audio type CD, does the Mac software not give you that option? Maybe it's all done automatically, but I would have thought there must be a way you can choose? Hopefully someone with some Apple experience might chime in?

PeterTremblay

Novice Member
Hi Peter, Sorry but I've never ever used a Mac, so I can't offer you any advice. To be honest I wouldn't really recommend buying Nero anyway. I only use it because it came packaged with my Windows computer. Although I freely admit I know absolutely nothing about Macs, there surely must be some way of choosing to burn a CD/DVD type disc? For instance, what if you had some mp3 files you wanted to burn to a disc, but you wanted the disc to be an audio type CD, does the Mac software not give you that option? Maybe it's all done automatically, but I would have thought there must be a way you can choose? Hopefully someone with some Apple experience might chime in?
I used Finder to burn my CD (see here), and it made a data disc automatically, without an option. But, to burn an audio CD, I would use iTunes (see here).

Allymando

I see the problem Peter. It appears that on a Mac you have two separate programs for burning discs depending on the file type, with no overlap between them? I think we need an Apple expert to solve this one. Do you have any family members or friends with a Windows computer, who could burn the disc for you?

PeterTremblay

Novice Member
I see the problem Peter. It appears that on a Mac you have two separate programs for burning discs depending on the file type, with no overlap between them? I think we need an Apple expert to solve this one. Do you have any family members or friends with a Windows computer, who could burn the disc for you?
I think that with a virtual machine it might work…

Allymando

I used Finder to burn my CD (see here), and it made a data disc automatically, without an option. But, to burn an audio CD, I would use iTunes (see here).
For a brief moment I thought perhaps the easiest solution would be to just send you a disc myself, but then I noticed you're in Canada, not the UK, which makes that idea rather impractical. My earlier suggestion of getting someone with a Windows computer to burn it for you is probably still the best solution for the time being, but hopefully your virtual Windows idea will work?

Capuz00

Novice Member
LG BP125/150/155/250/255/350/375/450/550 all use the MT8551/8553/8563 series chipset and the steps posted in this forum appear to work for the European model versions. I tried several North American LG models and they can read a disc with the MontBlanc.DVD file but the region menu does not show up. Only way I know to change both the DVD and BD regions is to open the player and solder wires to the RS232 interface points, then extract/modify/re-install system config file. It requires soldering and Linux programming skills.
Is the only way to play blu-ray disc from everywere?
Where I can find a guide to do that?

SparkieSD

Novice Member
I've gone through 5 discs now and I keep getting check disk error, I've used dvd-r and cd-r but still no luck. I've made sure the file type is a Disc Image file but still no luck, I've tried using img burn and the windows burner and still nothing. Img burn did give me a data disc tho but still can't get it to work. Any advice?

Allymando

Is the only way to play blu-ray disc from everywere?
Where I can find a guide to do that?
Hi Capuz00, Sorry I've not been on avforums since last week. ( ... I don't think there's many other people looking at this thread at present?) With regards to making your LG machine Blu-ray region free, I believe you would need to modify the electronic hardware ie. solder in extra components. From what I've read on various forums on the internet, it's just not possible to make it blu-ray multi-region by tweeking the software, unfortunately. Unless you've got some skill in electronics, it's probably easier to just buy a machine that's already blu-ray multi-region.

Last edited:

Allymando

I've gone through 5 discs now and I keep getting check disk error, I've used dvd-r and cd-r but still no luck. I've made sure the file type is a Disc Image file but still no luck, I've tried using img burn and the windows burner and still nothing. Img burn did give me a data disc tho but still can't get it to work. Any advice?
Hi SparkieSD, I'll outline exactly what I did and hopefully this will work for you? First, download the MontBlanc file - Next, change the extension at the end of the file name from .txt to .DVD ( ... Windows will probably give you a warning about how changing the extension will make the file unreadable, but go ahead and do it anyway. You will now have a file called MontBlanc.DVD) - Make a new folder and name it violet0000 - Now open violet0000 and make a new folder and name it rubicon - Place the MontBlanc.DVD file in the rubicon folder - Now burn the violet0000 folder ( ... containing the rubicon folder and MontBlanc.DVD file within it) onto a CD-R. ( ... I used the inbuilt software in Windows 7 to burn it. Make sure you choose to burn it as a disc that can be read by CD/DVD player, not a data disc.) If you've done everything correctly, when the blu-ray player loads up the disc you'll be presented with a blue or black screen giving you the option to change the DVD region.

Last edited:

Allymando

I thought I'd just add an extra pointer about changing the MontBlanc file extension, as this tripped me up on my first attempt. ( ... apologies if you're computer literate and already up to speed with what I'm about to write.) Now I'm not a computer whiz kid by any means, so what confused me was that everyone talked about changing the name of the MontBlanc file, but I feel it might be more accurate to say we're changing the file type? If you're using Windows you need to make sure that you can see the file extension as I think the default is to have them hidden? To make the file extension visible, go into Control Panel, click on Appearance and Personalization, then click on Folder Options. This will open a dialogue box. Click on the View tab, then scroll down and make sure the little box beside Hide extensions for known file types is unchecked. Now when you look at the MontBlanc file you'll see the full name with the extension showing is MontBlanc.txt. The bit you want to change is .txt to .DVD

Last edited:

TheEmpathicEar

Novice Member
Thankyou ifixit. I can confirm that this worked on a LG BP325 and a BP135 player. Thankyou so much.

I no longer need the disk if anybody wants it posting, UK only.
[I just signed up to ask this question...] Is it possible to "Region Free" this player for Blu-Ray? [So far, I have not found a way to do this for Blu-Ray]

Last edited:

PHarlan

Novice Member
Hi,
I have problems burning the file. I use the burning software within Windows 10 and it automatically creates a data cd/DVD. There are no options. I am only asked whether I want the disc to be treated like a USB stick or "playable on cd/DVD Player", where I chose the latter. Burned the disc and it is a data cd.
This is frustrating. It is like one step away, but impossible to get across :D
Can somebody help (or maybe send a copy of such a disc to me, I will pay postage and expenses)?

Thanks a lot in advance.

EDIT: I tried both a CD-R and a DVD-R. Both turn to data Discs.

EDIT #2: I really don't know what I am doing different than you guys. I have an LG BP 250 (European model / purchased in Germany). I downloaded the MontBlanc file and turned it into a .DVD file, via DOS, so it is in fact a .DVD file called MontBlanc. I placed that in a folder called Rubicon. And I placed the folder Rubicon in a folder called Violet0000.
I then inserted an empty disc (CD-R or DVD-R, tried both) and when the Windows 10 software asked me how the disc should be burned, I clicked on "playable on CD/DVD player" (instead of the other option "treat it like a USB stick") and dragged the folder "Violet0000" with its contents into the field for files to burn, and then burned the disc. Then I inserted it in the player and it already indicated "data cd/DVD" in the home menu. Switched it off and back on and all I get is the home menu stating "data cd/DVD", no region code menu whatsoever. Tried it once with a CD-R and twice with a DVD-R.

Can it be that LG changed it up? I just purchased my LG BP 250 this week. Maybe the procedure just doesn't work anymore?!

Last edited:

Opel Girl

Novice Member
Hi,
I have problems burning the file. I use the burning software within Windows 10 and it automatically creates a data cd/DVD. There are no options. I am only asked whether I want the disc to be treated like a USB stick or "playable on cd/DVD Player", where I chose the latter. Burned the disc and it is a data cd.
Can somebody help (or maybe send a copy of such a disc to me, I will pay postage and expenses)?

Thanks a lot in advance.

EDIT #2: I really don't know what I am doing different than you guys. I have an LG BP 250 (European model / purchased in Germany). I downloaded the MontBlanc file and turned it into a .DVD file, via DOS, so it is in fact a .DVD file called MontBlanc. I placed that in a folder called Rubicon. And I placed the folder Rubicon in a folder called Violet0000.
I then inserted an empty disc (CD-R or DVD-R, tried both) and when the Windows 10 software asked me how the disc should be burned, I clicked on "playable on CD/DVD player" (instead of the other option "treat it like a USB stick") and dragged the folder "Violet0000" with its contents into the field for files to burn, and then burned the disc. Then I inserted it in the player and it already indicated "data cd/DVD" in the home menu. Switched it off and back on and all I get is the home menu stating "data cd/DVD", no region code menu whatsoever. Tried it once with a CD-R and twice with a DVD-R.

Can it be that LG changed it up? I just purchased my LG BP 250 this week. Maybe the procedure just doesn't work anymore?!
I got the same Problem I just dont know how to turn the Text File into a DVD File via DOS :-(

Racquel Darrian

[I just signed up to ask this question...] Is it possible to "Region Free" this player for Blu-Ray? [So far, I have not found a way to do this for Blu-Ray]
I've done numerous players now and each time it's only made the player multiregion for DVD only.

reckless55

Novice Member
Use something like CD Burner XP to burn your disc - the inbuilt Windows 10 burner doesn't create the right file structure. My BP125 wanted a ISO9660 / Joliet type file the CD Burner will create.

My Australian player had region code 4 and didn't like the hex '20' as the last byte of the Monteblanc file. I edited this to hex '00' and it all started to work I used Hex Editor Neo to change the file. Both CD Burner and Hex Editor Neo are free software.

serch111

Novice Member
The answer is yes actually it's reasonably easy to region free any LG bp125 blueray player.

To access the secret region menu required some reverse engineering and i found the solution. Similar to how other models are region free'd for LG.

How to

You need to write this folder and it's files onto a burnable CD, i used windows 7 built in burning and just wrote the folder to the disk.

Folder heirachy is.

\violet0000\rubicon\

you will need to place this file in the rubicon directory and you must rename it MontBlanc.DVD

Then place the cd in the player and switch on it will read the disk and the region change menu will open. select 0 for region free then press pause on your remote to save..DONE, tested worked 1st time for me. and confirmed my region 4 is now playing any region dvd.. haven't tried blurays.

remember rename MontBlanc.txt MontBlanc.dvd, place it on the writeable cd in CD-drive-LETTER-of your-PC:\Violet0000\Rubicon\

ojnce you have burned it, place it in your LG blueray BP125 and turn on, menu shouldf appear, it's says everything in the menu but for the weary select 0 on your remote, then pause, restart DONE!
Question, how are you doing to conect the bluray player with the computer?, (my device it's a LGBP350, I don't know what to do, I'll probably give up)

Attachments

Racquel Darrian

Question, how are you doing to conect the bluray player with the computer?, (my device it's a LGBP350, I don't know what to do, I'll probably give up)
You don't.
You put it a on USB stick and plug it into the player.

Racquel Darrian

Hi,

Thanks a lot in advance.

I think you've done everything correctly. Maybe LG have changed the setup in the newer models so now it won't work.

Heurtebise

Novice Member
Please, I would like help : still don't get how we can convert the MontBlanc "txt" file into a "dvd" format/file.
As mentioned above in previous messages : renamed it with DVD isn't enough, it's still a text file.
And once it's done, I wonder also, maybe an usb stick is enough, no need to record it on a cd.