1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make a silver PW7 black?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lisag, Feb 28, 2005.

1. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    I find the silver bezel of my PW7 a little distracting when watching films, I wanted a 37" Panasonic panel so unfortunately black was not an option...

I have used some black tape and this does do the job but I wonder if there is a more professional approach to this? Anyone know of any tricks, maybe a black film or some type of vinyl that may work?

lisa

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    MAW knoiws a man who can spray it any colour you want Gloss or Matt black

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Really? Wow - do you think he charges a fortune? I will send a PM to MAW and find out, thanks HD. I was expecting a response telling me not to be so stupid!! :thumbsup:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    around £200 i think but MAW will have all the details....

5. PhoneticFreak

PhoneticFreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I much prefer the silver......could date a lot quicker than good ole black tho!

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi Lisa, got the PM, but there's no prob with it being public knowledge, better in fact. There's no angle for me in it, the co. is universal mounting solutions, Cowley. The numbers are in the office, and having started rather early this am, I'm now at home. But a scoot.co.uk might well turn them up.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Universal Mounting SolutionsJado House, Peterley Rd, Horspath Industrial Estate, Cowley, Oxford, Oxfordshire OX4 2TZ

Tel: 01865 396644

from yell.com

8. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Thanks for the info, I will contact them and see what they can offer!

9. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Let me know lisag - I too went for a silver 37" last Nov before the black one was available. I think the black looks better - but £200 on what is a £1200 screen now is a lot of wad. I might try the tape trick - I thought of that a few weeks ago but my missy told me I was being stupid.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Removing the bezel is not hard, perhaps not while under warranty though!

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    banjo21 it may be worth you and lisa lokking into a group booking, 2 screens should be cheaper than 2 individual jobs if you agree on finish (less mixing of paint and cleaing of spray kit which takes the time)

12. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    I did feel a bit silly putting the tape on, but the result is not too bad, not bad enough to warrant transporting the panel to Oxford and paying £200 :(

But... I will get the information and post here, you never know!

thanks again
    lisa

13. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Is the silver finish resilient enough to cope with applying and then ripping off tape if I dont like it?

PS. I'm beginning to feel guilty over my pleased smiley in me signature, so to be clear for any prospective owners out there, I strongly recommend a PW7 or equivalent as absolutely great. I guess you just get really fussy when you start reading these forums.

14. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    I hope so, I removed the tape several times as I was applying it - bit fiddly but I am pretty sure it won't do any damage, at least I hope not :rolleyes:

And yes, I agree, it is all rather 'anal' but it's a new toy and I am sure I will get bored with playing with it soon..... :)

15. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    out of interest what sort of tape did you use Lisa? and how does it look close up?

16. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    I just used black duck tape.
    At a distant and in ambient light it looks fine,
    Close up, in full light, it looks like duck tape!
    Here is a pic anyway
    lisa

Attached Files:

17. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    looks good from here!.....love the custom build surround!

18. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    What about fablon rather than duct tape? I had some speakers in brown wood look (since when I bought them brown wood was in). My furniture is now birch. Some light wood fablon and now they match great. Fablon comes in black. You might even be able to get a patterned black.

19. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Fablon? - never heard of it - will do some research, thanks
    lisa

20. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Interesting news...

Been in touch with that company and talked to a guy called Douglas, he charges £85 + VAT for the service, and he is authorised by Panasonic so it will not affect the warranty.

Problem is getting the panel to Oxford, but he did say that if I pre-arranged they may be able to do it the same day, so I just need to have a day trip to Oxford, and the 37" panle should go in the car ok.... wish I had kept the packaging now :suicide:

lisa

21. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Not heard of fablon - clearly not a Blue Peter kid :) . Although they called it sticky back plastic. Fablon is the trade name.

You can get it on rolls about 450mm wide in DIY stores. Cut a strip larger than you need and trim afterwards with a knife. You need 2 people to use it since one person needs to hold the strip up and remove the backing paper while the other person first positions the start then with a cloth rubs forwards removing the air and sticking the fablon down.

22. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    are you really John Noakes??? :)

23. fury

fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just joined to post this one thing... maybe I should keep it to myself and start charging people 85 - 200 pounds for my services... but ahhhh.. I just hate to think of anyone covering a plasma in duct tape! :rolleyes:

what you need to spray it with is Krylon Vinyl Dye spray paint, its very hard to find in the UK... but luckily HALFORDS CAR BUMPER vinyl dye spray paint is exactly the same thing and BLACK :thumbsup: .

I know what your thinking... spraypaint, this will look awful,

in fact, no-one.. yourself included will be able to tell it wasn't purchased that way, it isn't shiny, it isn't matt dull, its just like black plastic, the paint itself soaks into the plastic, not completely but a small amount soaks, if you spray lightly, setting out to do the whole thing in 3 coats you will have a perfect finish, you could probably do one but you may likely run into slight 'orange peely' effect and build ups, its very very forgiving paint but still a little common care should be taken.. however, notice there is no need to sand the pieces at all, you just have to make sure there is no grease on them, and theres only a 10-20min drying time :)... I am not at all an experienced spray painter, I'm using cans for god sake, on a chunk of wood on the back lawn and I have not once yet messed up, even my first attempt was perfect, literally I cannot tell it wasn't bought that way, my mates can not tell.... and they scrutinize...

if you wanna carry this out heres my tips

1. remove the items casing... please don't try and mask the glass screen with tape :nono: , if you cant remove the casing, I suggest you don't spray

2. wash all the parts of your casing thoroughly .. once removed... in hot water with a dash of washing up liquid ( to remove grease), this is important, make sure there is no grease otherwise it will show through as a slightly shinier bit once sprayed, not that its that bad, but you want this PERFECT :cool:

3. Spray outside, the rush off this stuff is likened to having 4 cans of carlsberg speshy brew for breakfast, not to mention it hums, once you've sprayed cover your piece with a cardboard box but use a small object to raise it at one side slightly to let air in.. this will stop dust, creepy crawlies, leaves and all manner of nasty sh&t ruining your work.

rest assured... the paint will never peel, plus if you scratch the item it remains black up to quite a scratch depth... as I said some of the paint soaks into the plastic

I think thats it.... all the best

24. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Hi Fury,

Well thank you very much for joining and sharing all of this information.
    It sounds like a good solution, but the chances of me removing the bezel and doing a succesfull paint job in the back garden without messing up... are very slim! Also I would have voided my warranty which has 2 years and 10 months left to run!

I am seriously considering taking my plasma for a day trip to Oxford and getting a propfessional job done for £100.

I reckon someone braver than me may attempt the spray paint, it would be good to hear the results.

Out of interest - have you done this with a plasma or something else?

lisa

25. fury

fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah I see, don't blame you.. with the warranty and without knowing what I know (how easy the paint works and how good for so little effort) I'd be wary' too. it works with all plastics/acrylics, I've mainly sprayed LCD/TFT monitors, PC Drive Bezels/Facia's.. all same sort of plastic/acrylic as most electricals

I suggested it really because anyone could do it, but to reassure anyone else.. I'm really cak handed, non-co-ordinated and have never been the slightest bit lucky in DIY, I'm pants at these things, at school in craft/design I ended up with 2 toast racks and a pen holder.. all of which began as model boats/aircraft etc.... anyway, this isn't regular spray paint, most of it soaks into the suface or itself theres not much fear of runs or side effects normally found with spray paint (flaking, orange peel, mess) even if you should go gung ho and try it carefully/fairly evenly in one coat, although, If it is done in 3 thin coats, which is what I recommended it's pretty much impossible to mess up (except for bugs/leaves etc. as mentioned) ....

oh and for the halfords spray, its a tenner a can, I'd estimate 2 for a plasma, front/back and buttons.. possibly 3

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    WOW Fury you are a top man.... (all my kit is black and finding some stuff in black is nigh on impossible) so looks like i may have to pop up to halfords....the other option for a choice of finishes would be foliatec or similar or have some custom vynil cut by a sign writer

27. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Hi MAW,
    How hard is it?
    Can you give me any pointers?
    It will obviously be easier for me to transport the bezel to Oxford for spraying rather than the whole plasma panel.
    I build and repair PC's at the weekends - if it's that sort of difficulty I may be able to manage it.... if you need special tools, I probably won't...

thanks
    lisa
    :)

28. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    IIRC all you need is a correctly fitting philips screwdriver. I've seen it done once, took 15 mins carefully. You have to take the back off 1st, then you can see the srcews that hold the bezel. You will invalidate your warranty doing this of course. I say this as a matter of form, a careful competent person is highly unlikely to cause any harm, the only tricky bit is undoing the screws on the back, then turning it over on a suitable surface (blanket?) to lift off the bezel. Needs 2 people, as it all falls apart otherwise. The bits are simply bigger, heavier and more expensive than a PC, and of course easier to break and more embarrassing if you do.

29. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Hello all

A quick rewind is required here...

Removing the bezel in preparation for spraying a PWD or PHD is a nightmare!!!

01. You need to have a Pedestal stand to hand - as once the bezel is removed the plasma array (glass) is naked and there's very little to hold on to or support the screen; you cant stick it back in its box as the glass wont take the weight of the display..

02. You need a second pair of hands to help with this job.

Removing the bezel assembly is quite straightforward - the problem being the front filter comes with it and once you have the bezel off you then need to get the filter off of the bezel.

Once you have the filter removed from the bezel you then need to be careful where you put the filter and ensure you don't scratch it or get dust on it.

£100.00 is a bargain for a warranted re-spray I'd say.

Joe

30. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Agree totally. I'd forgotten about the front filter I have to admit. I'd never go to all those lengths when there's someone else to do it for £100 and keep the warranty.