Majority of HDTV owners unconvinced by HD disc formats

Discussion in 'Technology News' started by The News Bot, Sep 19, 2007.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
    News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    In a blow to both Blu-ray and HD DVD, a new survey of 5,500 US HDTV owners has found that a massive 73 per cent are content with their DVD collections and not looking to upgrade to any HD format. According to The NPD Group survey, 52 per cent of HDTV owners had heard of [...]
    More...

2. chrissyman

chrissyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well i am in that camp,i have no doubt Hddvd/bluray are superb but there is no way i am willing to fork out £20-30 for 1 disc.

As long as the software is that price then most people will stick with plain vanilla dvd.

3. alan29

alan29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So what's so wrong with DVDs then? The day that someone shows me that they are defective in some way - that will be the day that I even think about changing.
    And to be quite honest, most films are pretty "see once, ever forgotten" and not worth spending loads of extra money on.
    Alan

4. 33rpm

33rpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Couldn't agree with you more about forgetable movies - most of them are - but when you see the likes of a 5 disc Bladerunner set on HD DVD / Blu Ray for £20 (R1) I do wish I had one. It's the lack of multi region for SD that's stopped me buying a player, no room for a dvd AND HD player under the tv. Sort it out Sony / Toshiba!

5. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    5 Discs? :eek: Why 5?
    Am I the only one who wants the film with the best possible audio/Video transfer and no other rubbish?

The only way for the companies to get their act together is to launch dual format (which we know will happen anyway), cut the crap out and get the price to reasonable levels.
    I'm basing this statement on the fact that most people I know wouldn't pay £15 for a DVD a few years ago, but are happy to lay out £5-7 nowadays.

And as for films being forgettable, I'd say this applies to 99% nowadays.
    Stop trying to farm tripe onto us :mad:

6. DMT

DMT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Any one paying that sort of money is loopy, but I think everyone on here buys selectively form the on-line suppliers. I currently own 22 HD/BD disks and average price is £12.

Regarding quality differences and merits; the bigger the better, on plasma the difference is there but on a projector the difference is huge.

7. 33rpm

33rpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Because Bladerunner (IMHO), fits in to the category of the 1% of films that I'd watch several times. The 5 discs feature all 5 prints with the best possible picture and sound and a shedfull of extras. Normally I don't bother with extras but this film is an exception.:smashin:

8. mikim

mikim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Agreed :thumbsup: If you are using a 40" or smaller the picture is slightly better and clearer, but on a projected picture it is a world apart. I am quoting this based on the fact that I am only running 720p… if I had the ££ for a 1080 beast then I’m sure I would be singing even more praises.

DVD is still great, and I watch as many as I do HD. With regards to buying… well I have only ever bought a DVD/BR if I know that I want to watch it more than once, and then I have never paid more than £15 for one anyway.
    The majority come rented from Blockbusters, :) that way it costs the same as DVD :thumbsup:

9. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Even cheaper.......

Join Lovefilm, pay £9.99 per month & you can watch 5 or 6 disks per month? I used to pay a lot more than that going down the road to Blockbusters 10 years ago? Oh and I'm regularly told that either format now looks & sounds as good as the local cinema?

:D