Majora's Mask 3DS

Soundburst

In Memoriam
Reaction score
Huge Zelda fan, and Nintendo fan here.

Playing through Majora's Mask atm as it's the Zelda I never actually got around to playing and dear sweet lord it is appalling.

I literally cannot believe Nintendo followed Ocarina Of Time with this. I've never been more shocked at being appalled by a Nintendo release. One of the greatest of all time . . .being followed up with . . .THIS!?

No fun at all , you want to roam around, explore. . .yet you're running against this stupid 3 day clock meaning that at any time you could be bumped back to the start losing what you've done. Infuriating.

Who would want to play the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over?

Bizarre.
1/10.

Am I missing something in this monstrosity. . . . You have 3 virtual days to complete this game? There are no saves. . You've to do everything in 3 days. I keep playing and playing. . But then run out of time and get booted back to the beginning LOL.

Why do I feel like I'm being stupid as surely a game cannot be designed like this?

Am I missing something in this monstrosity. . . . You have 3 virtual days to complete this game? There are no saves. . You've to do everything in 3 days. I keep playing and playing. . But then run out of time and get booted back to the beginning LOL.

Why do I feel like I'm being stupid as surely a game cannot be designed like this?
:facepalm:

Scarecrow: Inverted Song of Time
:)

:facepalm:

Scarecrow: Inverted Song of Time
:)

I've played that song but I like to roam about lol. It's just so confusing. Let's say I finished the first dungeon. . .and time runs out.

I'm right back to the start and have to do everything again. Is this correct or am I missing something here.

What if on my 5th play through I manage to do 2 dungeons in the 3 days - but time runs out. . .do I have to go back to the start again and do everything again?

Key things, like masks, warp points, short-cuts and weapons don't disappear when you go back in time so you can get back to wherever you were pretty quickly. You could save rupees at the bank in Clock Tower Town on the N64, assume it's the same in this version too. When you go back in time bosses will come back to life so if you want to recreate whatever effect that has on the land (one of them thaws out the snow in the mountains, for instance) then you have to defeat them again. It's not much of a chore when you get used to it, and once you get a few songs under your belt you'll have plenty of time to roam around.

Any masks you get from bosses are kept and even if you dont beat the boss you get a warp point at the start of the dungeon to get right to them. I think its actually better than Ocarina and I only have two masks so far...loving it.

I think the best way to play it, is

a) Head to a Dungeon.
b) Get to the fast travel point for that dungeon
c) Reset time back to day 1
d) Fast travel to the dungeon entrance then you have 3 full days to complete the dungeon

Also don't forgot to speak to the scarecrow to learn the secret of

slowing down time to half speed
- essential if you're old like me!

My foster brother is in the stone temple giving the gibdo all the things but he needs a big Poe .... He killed it but it's soul disappeared before he got to swipe up its soul so now he's trapped and doesn't know what to do. Lol.

Once it vanished he was proper fuming :D

Just playing this now. Has anyone else noticed a loud constant static noise randomly occur during the game?

It happens when you move from one contained area to another, it doesn't happen every time, just randomly. Then the static noise remains constant and you have to save and re-start the game to get rid of it. But then it can come back maybe 10-15 minutes later.

At first I just assumed it was my 2DS or my game card, but I tried my brother's copy of the game on his 3DS XL and it does the same thing, so it must be a common issue with the game itself.

I actually played through the entire first temple before I noticed it. I guess you can get used to it and not notice it's there. I first noticed it when I put my 2DS off to one side and heard a difference in how it sounded and that made me aware of the static.

I tried a new save file but now I knew what to listen for I noticed it again during the first bit in Clocktown. Perhaps if you keep playing long enough it goes away?

I've emailed Nintendo UK about it for all the good it may do. It would be be nice if they could do a patch to fix it but as I seem to be the only person to have noticed it (can't see any mention of it online anywhere) I doubt they would to appease apparently only me.

It does bother me though, Majora's Mask is probably my favourite game ever and this puts me off playing it.

Edit:

Played a bit more just now. It actually seems to stop when you go indoors and it stopped when it turned to daytime. So rather than a fault it seems it may be some outdoor night time noise? Perhaps it's meant to be wind but it just sounds like hissing static to me.

Last edited:
Just finished it. Almost 34 hours, according to the activity log. And that was using a walkthrough – I’d never have got anywhere without one.

Really wasn’t sure at first but I think it’s a masterpiece, and certainly enjoyed it as much as Ocarina of Time. But I’ve never seen so little hand-holding in a Zelda game. It’s rarely obvious what you need to do and the three-day cycle isn’t explained wonderfully well.

^ I agree with all that. I've had the benefit of playing it several times over the years since it's release on the N64 but I can see why newcomers could struggle to get into it.

It is superb though and another good example proving wrong the myth that all Zeldas are the same.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom