• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Major streaming headache

JamieBee

Established Member
I have Vista on my laptop, a Netgear (provided by Sky) router with my Xbox 360 and a 4 meg line.

I am having constant problems every time I try and stream media. When I browse my laptop from the Xbox, it always takes age to browse for folders, select files in the folders and try and play them. Sometimes if I am lucky and wait at least about 5 or 10 seconds between screens (provided it finds the folders/files), I can get files to play but I am mostly getting two common errors which "cannot support media" (standard avi files so clearly they are supported) or "lost connection to pc or laptop".

In my firewall settings, I have made sure that every single thing under the Exceptions tab is ticked. I have UPnP on the router page ticked.

Is it another firewall issue ? Is my broadband not fast enought ? When I had Windows XP on my PC everything streamed seamlessly.

Now I have tried many many different things to fix this and cannot work out what is causing it.

Please please please can anyone give me any advice as I have now run out of ideas ? Thanks :lease:

DJSigma

Banned
Is it another firewall issue ? Is my broadband not fast enought ?
Are you using a 3rd party firewall and if so, have you tried temporarily disabling it to see if that cures the problem? Broadband speed is irrelevant when streaming from a PC/laptop to the 360 as it's either done over wi-fi or via ethernet so it can't be that.

JamieBee

Established Member
Are you using a 3rd party firewall and if so, have you tried temporarily disabling it to see if that cures the problem? Broadband speed is irrelevant when streaming from a PC/laptop to the 360 as it's either done over wi-fi or via ethernet so it can't be that.

I have disabled Windows firewall and it makes no difference. The reason I mention line speed is a friend of mine who has a 14 meg connection - browsing for and selecting files is instant whereas mine either has to 'think' for a long time before finding files or I get "connection lost" or "media format not supported".

cassius76

Established Member
Get rid of Vista and downgrade to XP or Upgrade to Windows 7. I have had to tell people this for months. Vista is the problem.

Caveman643

Established Member
What programme are you using to stream your media with? I use Twonky Media because I found it the best for me. Though other people use Tversity and many just use Windows Media Player or Windows Media Centre. Maybe trying an alternative streaming programme will sort your problems?

JamieBee

Established Member
I just select Video Library and then play from there - I think it must use Win Media Player. Win Media Center is painfully slow so I don't bother with that.

JamieBee

Established Member
I keep reading about "opening a port" when researching this on the net. Is this what I have to do ?

I am running AVG (version 9) as my anti-virus software so do I need to open a port on this or the Windows firewall maybe ?

Caveman643

Established Member
JamieBee. I don't know about opening ports but you could try disabling the firewall and possibly your AV as well. Then see what happens. Failing that try using Tversity instead of WMP. Tversity is free as well.

cassius76

Established Member
So you're saying that no one with Vista can stream anything ?
My friend has Vista and it works fine on his.

Didn't mean to sound abrupt, but not everyone with Vista has problems.. just most.

If all else fails, you can try the "Port Forwarding" route..

Make sure you have at least an hour free..

Put the kettle on.

Grab a pad and pen (essential)

Now click on these links...

First of all..

Set Up a static IP on vista

Then when you have done that, it's time to forward your ports..

Find your make and model of router here, then click on it.

Skip the ad (in the top right and corner)

The next page will be full of things you can forward.. look for xbox 360, or Xbox Live 360

Follow the instructions.. and that should sort it.

As long as you follow theses guides exactly, it should fix your problem.

It's not too scary! Hey.. I did it!

Best of luck, and hope this helps.

Many thanks to port forward.com

Last edited:

JamieBee

Established Member
Right, I removed AVG on Sunday night and installed Avast. Tried streaming and hey presto - it was instant and worked perfectly.

Tried it again last night and it was back to its usual - taking a while to load folders/files and then when I selected Play "Loading" appears at the top of the screen and then I get the "connection to the PC has been lost".

I think this port opening method could be the last throw of the dice.

So so annoying :mad:

sunil1234

Established Member
Right, I removed AVG on Sunday night and installed Avast. Tried streaming and hey presto - it was instant and worked perfectly.

Tried it again last night and it was back to its usual - taking a while to load folders/files and then when I selected Play "Loading" appears at the top of the screen and then I get the "connection to the PC has been lost".

I think this port opening method could be the last throw of the dice.

So so annoying :mad:

You dont say if you are using a wired or wireless connection to the xbox from the router?

Portforwarding will help but can you confirm if you are wirless or wired?

thanks

JamieBee

Established Member
Wirelessly. Sorry if I did not say that.

I have found out earlier that when I plug my laptop into my router streaming works fine. As soon as I disconnect the two, the xbox takes ages looking for files and then when trying to Play them, gets stuck on "Loading" and then I get the error saying "connection to the PC has been lost".

sunil1234

Established Member
right well i suggest you try the wired appraoch. if running a long cat5e/ccat6 cable is an issue then invest in a set of 200mbps homeplugs

hth

cassius76

Established Member
After 3 years of research and asking around on forums and friends and people in work.. I came to the solid conclusion that wireless just ain't worth it. I just drilled some holes through some walls and ceiling and now I have a hard-wired house. Nice. :thumbsup: Cable ties and some paint and no one has any idea they are there.

total cost £15

Total Time 3 hours.

JamieBee

Established Member
I just altered my set up so that the router was hard wired to the xbox.

Tried streaming from laptop to xbox again (wireless between these two though) and it made no difference whatsoever. I have to wait at least 5 seconds when moving through the screens (browsing laptop, selecting files etc) to have any chance of the file streaming. If I select a file or try to play a file as soon as the relevant option comes up I get the same old error messages "connection to your pc has been lost" or "media type not supported".

I am thinking the ONLY way this would work would be to wire the xbox to the router AND wires the laptop to the router which is 1) not possible because of everything is situated and 2) ridiculous. I may as well put the files on a disc and put the thing in the xbox.

Streaming and me have parted company with immediate effect :hiya:

Mr Noble

Distinguished Member
1. Have your 360 connected by ethernet to the router.

2. Have your Laptop connected to the router via wireless

3. Go to windows media player, media sharing make sure the 360 is allowed to share the media.

4. Do as i have done create two new Folders on the laptop, Xbox 360 videos and Xbox 360 Music, share these folders to everyone on the Network :smashin:

5. Set up film categories folders if you have the time or patience, for example make a new folder in the xbox 360 videos folder and name it Horror, comedy and so on and so on , then put each film in it's respective folder

simples..... ;)

JamieBee

Established Member
1. Have your 360 connected by ethernet to the router.

2. Have your Laptop connected to the router via wireless

3. Go to windows media player, media sharing make sure the 360 is allowed to share the media.

4. Do as i have done create two new Folders on the laptop, Xbox 360 videos and Xbox 360 Music, share these folders to everyone on the Network :smashin:

5. Set up film categories folders if you have the time or patience, for example make a new folder in the xbox 360 videos folder and name it Horror, comedy and so on and so on , then put each film in it's respective folder

simples..... ;)

Yep I have been doing all that for months (the xbox and router are usually wireless but I tried wired on Saturday). The xbox can see the folders and (providing I wait a few seconds to select folders/files) but as soon as try and play them it gets stuck on Loading and then I get the errors.

The laptop is set to share all relevant folders and I know I do not need to add ports on my windows firewall as they open automatically.

Last edited:

JamieBee

Established Member
I'm still tinkering....

Can I ask those that stream - when you go to Video Library > select pc/laptop > browse and select movie folder > browse and select movie - does all of this instantly ???

If I wait at least 5 seconds between each step it works most of the time but if I select things right away then I am hit with error messages. Just interested to what others have happen ?

I am still unsure whether it is a problem with my laptop/xbox/router or just my wireless network in general :confused:

N

NickMon

I have been playing with :
  • Windows 7 Media Center
  • Xbox
  • Sky Wireless
Router

For streaming and find this to be unusable as its so slow to start up.

Will be trying it via a wired connection (to rule out the router) as soon as my switch arrives.

Very unclear where the issue is though..

nickmax1

Established Member
After messing around with mine for years (every time i reformat my laptop it requires tinkering) one thing i have to play with is my routers security settings. If it is set too high then the playback when streaming is iffy. (wireless BTW)

I have it set to WAP2 now and the problems have gone.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom