Major Samsung issue

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by kenjonesmpa, Jan 2, 2007.

1. kenjonesmpa

kenjonesmpa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I purchased a Samsung le26r74. Purchased a wall bracket but the 4mm bolts dont fit. After going to the shop, discovered that the fixing holes on the set have been produced with the wrong size holes. This also applied to other Samsung sets. So this is a Samsung wide issue. Am told that the holes are US 8-32 UNC 4.2mm and there is a place in teh UK who stocks. I just ordered some. SO I guess if you have a Samsung, make sure that if you fit 4mm bolts, they tighten up ok.

2. andrewstanners

andrewstanners
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the warning, I plan to wall mount mine!

Where did you get the correct size bolts?

Regards
    Andrew

3. jonny round boy

jonny round boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well I hung my 32" sammy with M4's, and it hasn't fallen down yet! :thumbsup:

4. kenjonesmpa

kenjonesmpa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I got my bolts in post today and will let this site know if they fit. I noticed that the post above said that teh 32 inch was ok, it could be that Samsung drilled the 32 inch ok but not the 26 inch and the smaller one I tried.

By the way, I got the wall mount in Makro (£60 inc tax) and it is on an arm so swing, tilt etc.

5. kenjonesmpa

kenjonesmpa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andrew/All

Well got the screws and they are a bloody tight fit, real tight to start off but easier as a few threads passed. I dont think they will move so conclusion is that they are as close as I would ever get. My feeling is that this is a better solution to the Samsung fix and I have detailed a forum that discussed this issue - you will have to cut and paste that into your browser.

http://www.lewisroberts.com/?p=63

The screws I ordered were:

8 x A2_ScrewBolt_SHCap_UNCoarse8-32_3/4_THRfull
    8 x A2_ScrewBolt_SHCap_UNCoarse8-32_1_THRfull

Stagonset
    [email protected]
    www.stagonset.co.uk

Pratt Lay Limited t/a STAGONSET
    276 Lichfield Rd
    SUTTON COLDFIELD
    West Midlands
    B74 2UG

What I would recommend is to firstly try standard 4mm bolts that are supplied with standard wall mounts, if these dont tighted, then either ask your supplier to help but also, if they are a shop, take the standard blots to them and get them to try in a Samsung and then a different make set, they will soon see that the Samsung set is wrong.

Hope this helps........

6. lempers

lempers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have got the Samsung LE26R73BD and had the same problem. But what I did was far easier, the thread is actually 4.5mm on the tv hence 4mm bolts wont fit.

What you should do though is get a hand held tap and die set, try borrowing one from a friend/mate or even try a local engineering firm who will have them then simply use the tap and a 5mm die and just basically drill out the hole in the back of the tv from 4.5mm to 5mm and then you can use bog standard bolts to fix the tv.

This is EXTREMELY easy to do you dont need to a harden DIY freak to do it and literally takes a couple of minutes. All you have to do is take the back off the tv and locate the 4 holes you need to drill out and then screw the back of the tv back on. You dont need to do anything either to the plastic back of the tv as the holes already drilled are large enough to take 5mm bolts.

As all you are really doing is expanding the holes from 4.5mm to 5mm very little work is need to physically to drill the holes out and you already have the original holes as a guide to help you as well.

7. nickp8

nickp8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    This issue has been posted about many times on the forum.

If you ring Samsung they will send you screws but self tapping ones. Most people dont want to use these as you may end up with metal bits inside the tv.

I found some screws on the internet that fit.

I have 5 sets of 4 screws left.

If anyone wants a set PM me your address and I will send you a set FOC.

Nickp.

8. kenjonesmpa

kenjonesmpa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nick

Mine fitted, once i had the correct allen key and i put a little bit of wax on them, they are snug and issue resolved. Cheers, Ken

9. nickmoo

nickmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I BADLY NEED A SET OF THOSE SCREWS WILL YOU PLEASE SEND ME SOME TO THE U.S.
    PLEASEEE
    Nick Morehead

10. kenjonesmpa

kenjonesmpa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst I resolved the issue with the screws. Yesterday UPS courier turned up in his lorry, the guy came to the door with a massive jiffy bag. Inside was ONE, yes ONE crappy self tapping screw. If this is the Samsung answer, it was a joke. I am so pleased that I purchased the corect screws weeks ago as I would NEVER use a self tapping screw to secure a 10KG television. Also, the Samsung ''fix'' was a screw that was so short. I wonder how many people have used their solution. However, all is not bad, based on the quality of the 26 inch version, I also purchased a 37 inch.

11. Damo1979

Damo1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick

If you can send me one of those sets it would be greatly appreciated.

I live in North London but can meet centrally if you live in London.

Let me know.

Cheers
    Damo

12. samhung

samhung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey damo im also from north london area, if you have still not found any screws please check out an alternative from my previous post. I know it must be a worry to open up a brand new tv but like i said there really is nothing to it. Once the thread is sorted you will be able to use the standard m5 bolts you can find anywhere let me know

Moderator's note: The "previous post" was an advert and has been deleted.

13. kayzee

kayzee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    never got mine sorted in the end. im giving up and putting it on a shelf :rolleyes:

14. ben8s8

ben8s8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is this problem with the LE26R74BDX/XEU with built in freeview aswell?
    as I just brought this.
    Thanks.

15. red33bull

red33bull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, its a problem with that one as well.

I'm going to try and have a go this weekend with mounting it so I'll let how I get on. i don't think it will be too bad.

thanks

16. clavinova12

clavinova12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just joined and saw this thread regarding the Samsungs. I am in the process of replacing my LE40 - my 2 year old "fixed" my last one with a toy hammer and shot the screen so I am keen to wall mount this one. I have got a universal wall mount but no screws - will I need to get some direct from Samsung or can you suggest. Sorry if this is a repeat question.