1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major Problems with new GeFroce 4 card

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by monkeyleader, Mar 1, 2003.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi,

Thought after a hard earned bonus Id go out and treat myself to a new GeFroce 4 (Ti 4800 SE) from MSI. Got home stuck it in, loaded the drivers that came with it and also enabled a live update.

Now how to test it - the card comes with a few games so I installed Ghost Recon, loaded it up started playing and within a few minutes it had crashed back to desktop. Loaded it in again, and once again after a few minutes of play the game crashed back to desktop. Decided to try a few other games, so loaded BattleField 1942 Multiplayer demo, same things happen - crashes back to desktop (only difference this time is that upon crashing back to desktop my resolution has gone to 640x480 ...Ive updated using the latest nvida drivers from the website - no joy same problem.

Could this be hardware or simply a driver issue - Im runing Win2k.

thanks,

monkey

2. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    okay so i bit more of an update on the problem. As I said I have win2k on the system, I tried to install xp and it crashes as it goes to install, hmm weird ...

also i have directx 9.0 on my system - is there any 'clean' way to downgrade to 8.1 as this is the version i had working with all the games before.

Also downloaded 3dmark to benchmark the card - this crashes will testing .. somegthing just aint right.

monkey

ps : the joy of console games, plug in and go ....

3. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Win2K is easily the most stable OS currently available - XP may be the latest but rest assured, its not the greatest.
    If despite loading the latest nvidia drivers your setup is not working, try using an earlier version - I've found out that some drivers work better than others - the latest version being the best.
    You can't uninstall directx software but my friend tells me that you can (using xp) backup to your previous setup - just don't ask me how!
    Also ensure that your monitor can handle the refresh rates - I had more or less the same problem when I purchased a cheap 19 inch monitor some weeks back.
    Good luck.

4. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    This means you have serious hardware issues my friend. This is not simply a matter of finding the right video driver revision for your video card I'm afraid. Is this a pre-built machine? Or did you build it yourself? You have fundamental stability issues and this is most likely to be a hardware problem like bad memory or an insufficient PSU. Do some hardware stability tests like prime95 and sandra burn-in and use monitoring software like MBM to check your PSU voltages and CPU temp.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is your CPU a AMD by any chance?

6. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    An AMD CPU would not cause that kind of instability. An AMD (or any cpu) coupled with an unstable chipset or insufficient power supply would.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've yet to use a unstable Intel machine with a cheap PSU.

Microsoft design the OS for Intel. Simple as that, using a CPU other than Intel (can) cause instability.

8. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Utter rubbish and don't go around spouting that kind of drivel as it misinforms people.

MS started optimizing their OS's for AMD chips a long time ago and AMD worked very closely with MS on Windows XP and the Athlon XP. In fact MS chose to write Windows XP 64-Bit using AMDs 64-bit code over Intels due to the AMD 64-bit chips backwards compatibility with 32-bit (which intels 64-bit chip lacks) and AMD's superior (according to MS) 64-bit instruction set.

Try running a fast Intel P4 on a 250W PSU and tell me how stable it is.

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AMD= nice overclocked heater.

I will never recommend AMD. Good that they exist, but every AMD PC I've used is unstable. No amount of drivers, patches, PSU replacement, shouting and screaming makes any difference.

10. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I'm not going to get into a banal AMD vs Intel discussion with someone daft enought to say things like:

as you clearly are clueless about modern CPUS. :rolleyes: Your comments resemble those of a 12 year old "fanboy" with no real grasp of the industry or reality of IT hardware. I have built and configured pcs for a long time and have seen my share of unstable intel machines and amd machines, and assuming all other things equal, i.e. properly configured hardware and software and similar components, the most important factor in system stability is the quality and maturity of the chipset.

But this is besides the point, my intention was to assist monkeyleader, so I'm not going to waste anymore time on this futile point.

11. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    One thing you can be sure of is that BOTH AMD and INTEL chips work equally well with current operating systems - obviously, if you'r a long time amd or intel fanboy, your going to root for your particular chip.
    I've always used AMD and have never had any cause for complaint, admittedly, I buy this chip for the simple reason that this cpu is the cheaper of the two, it may not be as fast as its equivilant INTEL cpu, but at the end of the day, what matters to me is stability, compatiability and performance and the AMD works equally as well as INTEL - lets face it, if it did'nt, nobody'd buy it!
    As a matter of fact, in the 18 years I've been building systems, I've never had any compatiability issues with cyrix, amd or intel based machines I've put together.

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If monkey's system is stable, and then replacing the card causes it to be unstable it's gotta be...

Video card is duff

Incompatibility with AGP-4, with his AGP-2 mobo. Even though it's backwards compatible.

Insufficient PSU

Have you fitted the 4 pin white power plug?

regarding Cyrix, I used one. Sort of stable, but loading up loading up two IE's caused it to crash. This is not a PSU problem. It's just a crap CPU.

13. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    finally - back onto the real problem :rolleyes:

So before I had a GeForce2 MX card in it and this worked fine - no problems - the only difference has been the addition of the new GeFroce4 graphics card

this 4 pin white power plug you talk of - whats that - didnt fit any powerplug ...

could this really be PSU related - bit weird if it is ..

First to solve the problem gets a beer :D

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoops! :blush: I thought the new video cards needed extra power. Had a look at the top of the range Nvidia cards- they don't have them.

It's the motherboard which has the CPU power lead.

I was sure new cards have the 4 pin connector- what with the required higher voltage.

Sorry!

15. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dump DX9.0, there are issues with stability and crashes to the desktop. DX9.1 is coming soon as a response to reliability issues and has already been showcased in the US. Unless you are running games requiring DX9.0 don't bother with it. Yet.

In my experience AMD are no better or worse than Intel in the OS compatibility stakes. Motherboard, graphics card and CPU choices should be thoroughly considered before buying. Check the forums and look for compatibility issues reported by other users, learn from others. You'll save money in the long run.

BTW. Drop your screen res to VGA, remove all previous graphics drivers and utilities, restart your machine and load your new cards drivers etc. from scratch. And don't forget to put DX8.x back on.

16. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Almost forgot. White 4-pin plug is for the Intel socket on your PSU. Not got one? Get a new PSU! Play safe and get 400w, 350w as an absolute minimum. Read your graphics card installation manual, it's got to mention the plug surely?

17. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Okay so just tried a new graphics card in my machine. Quadro4 XGL 900, downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia and re-ran the 3Dmark software - it crashed again. Im sure this is related to directX9 rather than hardware - I guess I could confirm this by putting in my old graphics card, and re-running the tests [old card is in work so wont be until tomorrow]

am i right in blaminmg Directx9.0 ? Is there any way to downgrade to 8.1 - I have tried to but 3dmark still says Im using directx9.0 :(

ta,

monkey

18. acs1

acs1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I installed Direct 9 all my games suddenly stopped working!!
    If you have Windows XP you can roll back the installation to the time just before you installed Direct 9, or the other alternative is to do a reinstall

Adam

19. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So thats my only option then - re-install - to be honest I dont mind - its just a pain that DirectX9.0 is out there and its causing so many problems. My next big question is which graphics card is the best

GeFroce4 Ti 4800 or Quadro4 900 XGL

monkey

20. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    None of my games have stopped working since I installed DX9, in fact most (coupled with the 43.00 detonator drivers) are running alot smoother now.

Of the 2 graphics cards you mention, the first is a consumer gaming card and the latter is aimed at the professional digital content creation market and costs many mulitplies of first. The quadro line will not perform any better in games and will often perform worse, so unless you intend to use it for professional 3D apps there is no point in getting a quadro.

21. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So came home tonight, got meself a nice fresh copy of windows 2000, reinstalled, new copy of Directx8.1, downloaded the drivers for the Quadro card [Geforce4 Ti is still in work] .. and with crossed fingers ran the 3dmark ...... fecking thing crashed again ... so its not direct X - it must be some weird hardware fault ... ahhhhhhh going mad now :mad: :mad: :mad:

22. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I really think the PSU is to blame, do you have any perphials that you can disconnect ie extra hard drives etc. I have known a geforce 4 to overload a cheap PSU claiming to be 400 watts as soon as anti aliasing was switched on. The PSU actually overloaded so much it no longer worked. These cards really can drain a PSU.

23. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    yer i can take one of the extra hard disks out and give that a whirl - actually looking inside its only 300w - so it looks like that could be to blame - gees you learn something every day

ill try the hard disk and let you know

24. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    no joy with one of the hardisks taken out and the floppy - before shelling out for a new PSU are all in agreement that it could (does not have to be 100%) be the PSU ..

ta,

monkey

25. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We tested my brothers P4 2.4ghz, Geforce 4, two 7200 rpm HD's with a 235W PSU. No problems.

PC's- ain't they great?! :(

Nathan

26. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Monkey can u post the other specs of the machine, motherboard, cpu, sound card, and so on. Can u also find out what the voltages being supplied by the PSU are (use a system monitor program like MBM - Motherboard monitor)

Also, have you actually tried anything other than 3D mark to test your machine??!!

27. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    a friend of mine has an msi ti4800se, and that keeps crashing. though that was heat-related. those heatsinks on them cards a very poor. you might want to check for that.

28. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    left the card into my local compute shop to try out a new PSU - will post tomorrow if its fixed things

monkey

29. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So it turns out it was not the power supply but in fact my chipset drivers for the motherboard that needed updating. Thanks to all who replied and gave valuable advice - Ive certainly learnt a lot since getting into this spot of trouble - its time to game now - oh goodness me thinks look very sexy :)

ta,

monkey