Major Problems with BlueDelta SmartSCART+

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jeallen01, Mar 12, 2006.

1. jeallen01

jeallen01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Anyone else suffered anything like the following:

I received my SmartScart+ on Friday and installed it on Saturday afternoon - and now I have one TOTALLY dead unit: no output from any of the sockets (except extremely distorted sound from the TV in some cases ) and the only LED that lights is the "Power"!

Obviously, not very happy as - apart from the cost - I spent 2 fruitless hours on Sunday afternoon trying to get things to work as I really could not understand what was going on.

It took me a long time to realise what was happening, but - essentially - each i/o socket worked for about 1-2 mins with its LED "on", and then the LED went off and the socket output died! This was connecting to the same TV & 2x satellite receivers as previously used - and these connections, of course, worked when I reverted to direct connections between the TV & the receivers without the SmartScart+.

Also, I think everything was "OK" until I plugged the PSU lead into the SmartSCART+. Before that happened, some of the socket LED's were illuminated after I plugged the leads in.

Looks like connecting the power and an external lead to a socket caused suffient power to be drawn from the socket driver to fry it within a couple of minutes. Buffering?

Tried a variety of both old and brand new (and quite expensive!) SCART leads from a range of companies.

Note: Will probably be talking to Chris Skelton at BlueDelta in the next day or so, so any rapid feedback will be most helpful!

John A :lease:

2. Bluedelta

Bluedelta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

I've been waiting for the phonecall you mentioned in your post, but as nothing has happened I thought it best to contact you direct.

The fact that you say your Smart-SCART+ was 'OK' presumably means you got pictures from it to judge, and that is in itself very interesting;
    The unit includes a set of buffer amplifiers as you have surmised which require a not insignificant amount of current, so if the psu is disconnected it shouldn't work at all. I am guessing that either your TV or one of your pieces of equipment is producing a high enough voltage to break through the input protection diodes and attempt to power the unit. The protection diodes are pretty tough but operating in this manner for a couple of minutes as you have suggested may have been a bit much for them.

Please give me a call and I'll see if I can help to work out what the problem is.

Chris.

3. zeropoint

zeropoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Have you managed to solve this problem?

I have a very similar problem :rolleyes: I spent ages installing the device :( - using all sockets, with only high quality leads - and when I turned everything on, all I got is heavily distorted audio, and no picture, apart from some occasional flickering horizontal white/blue lines in the top right corner of the TV screen :mad: Trouble is, I can't see, or even reach the device to check LED activity, etc, because it's inaccessable due to a really awkward installation. So I'm going to have to undo everything to get to it in order to try and find out what's wrong :eek:

I just bought another to replace it, as I'm really stuck since my setup relies on it. It's such an ordeal to extract the first one, that I want the replacement ready so I can switch it straight away. I don't want to have to reassemble everything until I sought out the problem, only to have to go thru the whole process again to replace it :eek: Plus I'm concerned that I might just get the same result when I do :suicide:

:lease: