• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Major problem after re-tune

chris_newton

Standard Member
Hi all

I have a Hummax pvr 9150 and it worked perfectly until this damn re-tune, i did a factory re-set and it got all the channels fine but now channels such as 5, itv 1, channel 4 etc are virtually unwatchable, they keep breaking up and jumping all the time. it does not seem to affect the bbc channels.

I have tried tuning in manually or with the factory re-set and its the same both ways.. i am in the teesside are, am i stuck with it like this now??

Thanks

Chris

chrissyman

I can no longer get 5 at all :mad: and only ITV3 , also i did a 2nd retune and lost all ' YES ALL the BBC channel's . Freeview what a joke it is:thumbsdow

darkcloud2011

Check your aerial connections perhaps. Five moved mux so just because you got it good before don't make it so now. It could be a weak signal mux in your area failing that check your TV aerial is up to scratch.

Last edited:

chrissyman

ITV is not the best signal here in banbury so not such a shock really ' its just that 5 has always been a strong signal no problems at all , i can still get a good analog 5 clear as a bell , very strange , also BBC has always been perfect ' full strength, and i have proper mounted Ariel with an amp module.

Good job i have a Pace HD sat , which i thought was not much cop ' its now come into its own ' CH4/ 5 showing up properly not some random number.

Thanks for your help anyway' :smashin:

Last edited:

Hi all

I have a Hummax pvr 9150 and it worked perfectly until this damn re-tune, i did a factory re-set and it got all the channels fine but now channels such as 5, itv 1, channel 4 etc are virtually unwatchable, they keep breaking up and jumping all the time. it does not seem to affect the bbc channels.

I have tried tuning in manually or with the factory re-set and its the same both ways.. i am in the teesside are, am i stuck with it like this now??

Thanks

Chris

What is your postcode?

Do you know which transmitter you are currently using?

N.Dean

ITV is not the best signal here in banbury so not such a shock really ' its just that 5 has always been a strong signal no problems at all , i can still get a good analog 5 clear as a bell , very strange , also BBC has always been perfect ' full strength, and i have proper mounted Ariel with an amp module.

Good job i have a Pace HD sat , which i thought was not much cop ' its now come into its own ' CH4/ 5 showing up properly not some random number.

I assume that you are using the Oxford transmitter.
Freeview from Oxford is on UHF channels 29, 34, 48, 51, 52, 68. From Banbury, Hannington is the same direction as Oxford, so its possible to receive weak signals from there, which can confuse receivers ( and viewers! ).
If, on the other hand, you use Sutton Coldfield, please ignore the above.

chris_newton

Standard Member
my post code is ts18 1jt and i think i am using the Bilsdale transmitter. Its defiantly not the aerial as i got it installed 2 years ago a proper digital one out side and its been spot on until the re-tune

darkcloud2011

my post code is ts18 1jt and i think i am using the Bilsdale transmitter. Its defiantly not the aerial as i got it installed 2 years ago a proper digital one out side and its been spot on until the re-tune

I get my service from the Bilsdale transmitter and I have no problems what so ever. Must be something on your end

ROYOLD

You say that ITV is not the best signal in Banbury. ITV channels are on Multiplex 2 together with the Channel 4 group.

Here in Granadaland FIVE has shifted Mux onto Multiplex 2 together with all the ITV/CH4 lot and I think ITV4 has shifted Mux to allow for this.

If the same has happened in Banbury that would account now for the poorer picture you receive on FIVE.

If you are using Bilsdale your aerial will be pointing south east

Power output from Bilsdale is generally low apart from the BBC muxes

You need an amplified extra high gain aerial, group K, fixed horizontally. If you have a wideband aerial you may not get good reception especially on channels 21 and 24

This transmitter has some technical issues with regard to co channel interference which are unlikely to be resolved until 2012. See Bilsdale TV Transmitter

You may wish to see if any of your neighbours tune to Pontop Pike which, although a little further away, has much higher power output. Depends on the lie of the land

An alternative is freesat which gives all the stations in high quality

Before doing anything have you tried leaving your box disconnected from the mains (not just switched off), the aerial and the tv for a few hours and then starting from scratch?

bobdisk

Chris, there is NO SUCH THING as a "digital aerial"!!!!!! An aerial is an aerial is an aerial!! You can use what you like for an aerial and put whatever reciever you like on it. If it is a clean signal of an adequate strength with no reflections, it will work. I use what I think is an old Radio Rentals aerial (it was on the house when I moved in) with 100% success. I am on Crystal Palace. It consists of two loops in a figure 8, each about 4-6 cm diameter in front of a mesh reflector. Wierd!! All the while it works, I see no reason to replace it. It must be 20+ years old!!! Having had my rant about this con of "digital aerials" , I think that you might be recieving a signal from another transmitter that is confusing the reciever. A way of seeing if you are getting the best signal for your location is use an old analogue tv! Find the analogue channel numbers for both your local (Bilsdale) and prospective better (Pontop Pike) transmitters and see which gives the best results, with the aerial pointing in the appropriate direction, of course. You are looking for a picture with first no reflections (ghosting) and second the least noise on the picture. Then tune the old tv all the way accross the uhf band and see that there are no more signals. If there is any of any strength, you should change to a more directional aerial, a Log Periodic type. These are not such a high gain as the more familiar Yagi type, so you may need a masthead amplifier, as suggested by 961.

chrissyman

You say that ITV is not the best signal in Banbury. ITV channels are on Multiplex 2 together with the Channel 4 group.

Here in Granadaland FIVE has shifted Mux onto Multiplex 2 together with all the ITV/CH4 lot and I think ITV4 has shifted Mux to allow for this.

If the same has happened in Banbury that would account now for the poorer picture you receive on FIVE.

Yes indeed ' this thought came to me on friday its seems bloody obvious now'

oddly enough ITV gets better over the winter months 'so i will try a retune in November see what happens.

Thanks

Tony Pickard

Standard Member
Got the usual distress call from my parents today about their Tv / Video/Dvd equipment, god knows how but they always mangage to upset things technical, lol. Anyways, problem is that since the Switch over, they lost the odd channel, so i just auto retuned their Sony Bravia TV freeview wif auto tune and hey presto, all good.....However, when it comes to recording Channel 5 through their Panasonic DvD/Video recorder ch5 is not recognised yet all the other channels are fine to record, any ideas, they have cabbaged my head i;m affraid.:lease:

Got the usual distress call from my parents today about their Tv / Video/Dvd equipment, god knows how but they always mangage to upset things technical, lol. Anyways, problem is that since the Switch over, they lost the odd channel, so i just auto retuned their Sony Bravia TV freeview wif auto tune and hey presto, all good.....However, when it comes to recording Channel 5 through their Panasonic DvD/Video recorder ch5 is not recognised yet all the other channels are fine to record, any ideas, they have cabbaged my head i;m affraid.:lease:

Hi there, cabbage bonce:clap:

Try disconnecting the recorder from the mains and the aerial for an hour and doing a new install from scratch

Many of our elderly neighbours find this continual tweaking of the freeview system a total pain and can't get their heads round continual retuning

And why should they?:(

Gavtech

Administrator

Channel 5 has moved... in the National retune, about which there are a number of threads here.

You need to also retune the Panasonic unit.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom