major problem after factory reset

ian4355

Standard Member
Reaction score
Turned on Humax box, booted as normal, watched a recording, everything was fine. Then I noticed the 2 BBC HD channels looked really bad, didn't know whether it was the broadcast or the box, so tried to do a factory reset. "Searching for the satellite signal" has been on screen for over half-an-hour and yet all the channels seemed to be there first thing this morning. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you still watch your recordings ?

If you go into manual tune what does the signal strength and quality say.

If it's zero or very low your dish may have moved. Have you experienced strong winds ?

UPDATE - it appears to have cured itself, although I'm a bit concerned that it says there's only 1 cable connected. I hope that doesn't mean I can't record 2 channels at once!

UPDATE - it appears to have cured itself, although I'm a bit concerned that it says there's only 1 cable connected. I hope that doesn't mean I can't record 2 channels at once!

Yes it does unless they happen to be on the same transponder. Check the diagnostics menu option to see what signal strength asnd quality both tuners report. Check round the back that the cables are on the outer connections. You could try swapping the cables and do another reset. It sounds like you have a dish alignment or lnb fault.

I still haven't been able to get it to finish doing a factory reset ("searching for satellite signal" message just stays on screen) but I've done a manual re-tune and it seems to have found the satellite signal and all the channels. It says there is only one cable connected (there are definitely 2 connected from the LNB) so I can only record one channel and will have to get an engineer in to tell me why I suddenly cannot use both tuners - it all seems like an exceptionally unlikely coincidence if the cable has acquired a problem at exactly the same moment as me trying to do a factory reset! BTW, we did have some strong winds a couple of days ago, but everything had been fine since and the signal strength is at around 85% (which is fairly normal).

Looked at diagnostics menu, this is what I found:
Tuner 1: 10773, H, 22000, 5/6 strength 80% quality 50%
Tuner 2: 10773, H, 22000, 5/6 strength 80% quality 50%
should they be different or identical?

Last edited:
Why not just try watching one channel while recording another? Then you'll know which is correct.

logiciel - OK will try that, but it definitely won't let me program 2 shows at the same time

I still haven't been able to get it to finish doing a factory reset ("searching for satellite signal" message just stays on screen) but I've done a manual re-tune and it seems to have found the satellite signal and all the channels. It says there is only one cable connected (there are definitely 2 connected from the LNB) so I can only record one channel and will have to get an engineer in to tell me why I suddenly cannot use both tuners - it all seems like an exceptionally unlikely coincidence if the cable has acquired a problem at exactly the same moment as me trying to do a factory reset! BTW, we did have some strong winds a couple of days ago, but everything had been fine since and the signal strength is at around 85% (which is fairly normal).

Looked at diagnostics menu, this is what I found:
Tuner 1: 10773, H, 22000, 5/6 strength 80% quality 50%
Tuner 2: 10773, H, 22000, 5/6 strength 80% quality 50%
should they be different or identical?

They should be the same but the quality is extremely low. This likely means that you don't have lock on the Freesat home transponder required for the reset.

Go into manual tune and change the transponder to 11427 H (or 11428 H) and note the quality and signal strength. Without a decent signal from here you won't get any further.

thanks GLT, will try that tomorrow (wifey's watching Strictly)

Hey Graham, tried 11427 H, got a big fat lonely ZERO on both strength and quality. Do I have a problem?

Hey Graham, tried 11427 H, got a big fat lonely ZERO on both strength and quality. Do I have a problem?

Yes - Dish may have moved. LNB could be duff. You may have water in the coax cables. Without this transponder you won't get past the postcode verification in freesat mode.

Open this webpage in your browser

FoxsatStaticMK2_011.htm

If you have Excel or compatible there's the same data in a spreadsheet

FoxsatStaticMK2_011.xls

Using manual tune check the transponder list for Sig Strength and Quality.

Look for a common factor, eg you might be not getting Eurobird 1 due to a dish alignment problem

OK thanks for all your replies people, but I think it's time to bite the bullet and get a man in. My last request is does anybody know of a good one in the Enfield area.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom