1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major new bug in new Sky+ software?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by DaveP, Dec 4, 2003.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it just me? Any recordings made prior to yesterday's update have a problem when played back. The clock stops at 17 minutes. If you FF the time stays at 17 mins. If you get up to 30x FF it then jumps back to 17 mins. If you play to say 40 mins and bookmark it and the press backup to leave, when you try to start at the bookmark it starts at 17 mins!

I've got 40 od hours to watch and this means that I cannot stop part way through.

Is anyone else suffering from this?

Dave

2. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mine does not do this.

Have you tried rebooting it?

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, first thing I did! I was afraid it was only me as there were no other posts!

I should have said mine is the V.1 box fitted with a 120Gb disk.

Dave

4. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mine's fine too, I think I saw someone post on t'other forum that his 120GB drive didn't work at all since the upgrade. Works fine in his PC and the 40GB drive works fine in his Sky+.
    Maybe Sky have come up with a way to stop people upgrading the drives, I wouldn't put it past them.

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently this bug only affects users who have upgraded their H/D. Sky didn't test the software on a bigger disk! They don't support them, so why bother?

Dave

6. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I was thinking about putting a 120GB drive in a few months time. So if I am reading correctley that my system may not run efficentley if I do upgrade??:confused:

7. vikingboy

vikingboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just checked my system and its working fine.

I can fast forward into programs at 30x past 17m and then play perfectly normal. (This was on a program recorded before the new update)

The dual record works fine too.

The delay when accessing the menu while the sound still plays eems to be cleared up too.

I have a v1 box with 120GB hd and SDI output.

Ian

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ V2 box is fine with standard HDD but I'm fitting a 120gb HDD shortly.

Hope it goes OK.

120gb Maxtor (7200rpm/2mb cache) OK?

:smoke:

9. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I had exactly the 17min prob with a maxtor 120gb in a V1 on an old recording but some newer recordings have worked since so maybe its just a problem with old recordings.

Seems to occaisionally effect the 30x search when 2 channels are recording at the same time too

10. vikingboy

vikingboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bugger....I thought I was all ok, but I'mnot.

Only some programs exhibit the 17minute problem. SOme programs will fast forward correctly at any speed, some programs fast forward/rewind etc so long as you stay of 30x speed. The ones that screw up with 30x movement also lock up at just over 60 minutes.

I'm going ot have a look and try and suss out why some programs fail and some dont. It doesnt matter when they were recorded, post/pre update.

I have a hunch it might be to do with the location of data on the disk and addressing.

11. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,818
    V.1 box fitted with a 120Gb disk,Maxtor
    I have tried the 9 programes i had recorded before the software upgrade.They all FF past 17 mins @x30 no problem.They all had been viewed already.I have not got anything on my hard drive that i have not watched.Not sure if the problem is with unviewed programes?:confused:

12. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only had the problem on un-viewed programs, but then again, I only watch them once and then delete them!

Two episodes of Star Trek Enterprise were affected, ironically both recorded in their early morning repeat slot due to recording clashes!

New recordings seem ok so MarkR you should be fine putting that new disk in.

On another matter, I dont want to seem ungrateful but is anyone else having problems detecting clashes caused by series links? It's doing my brain in. Say you have three programmes starting 15 minutes apart. You have to find out how long each one lasts to see if any of them clash. It's not bad if you don't watch much tele but I've got nearly three screens full of scheduled recording.

I'd like clashes to be flagged prior to recording. It's too late to do anything about it when you find "Cancelled, program clashed" on your planner.

Dave

13. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've had this problem too, mine is a V1 box with 120GB upgrade. It's not just a 17 minute thing either.

It seems to occur if you "resume" watching something (at say 72 minutes) and then start fast forwarding. It's OK until you hit 30x and then it jumps back to the "resume" point (72).

Old recordings (pre upgrade) seem more prone to it.

Also do a "user selected x minutes" or "end" and then Fat Back at 30x it will jump back to wherever the "resume" point was the last time you watched it.

I have decided to watch everything and clean off the disk and start again to see if it behaves better.

Also, not for the first time I have switched off the "instant rewind for 60 mins" because I suspected it of corrupting things. When this first came in an upgrade I turned it on and it broke several things (listing emptied, some films would not play etc).

Are the people having problems using Instant Rewind also?

Hoping my "format" works.....

Cliff

14. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only answer for this is a Full System Reset(Housekeeping) option 7 in the Installers menu.

Warning: with this option all recordings and series links are wiped.

15. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 17m problem. I have v2/120GB disk.

It appears that:

1. It affects 40GB (non upgraded) too, but is much rarer.
    2. If you reset (power removed/restored) then there is a random chance the problem will occur.
    3. The problem is data corruption of existing recordings during the resart.
    4. damaged recordings are never repaired
    5. the problem is less likely to happen if you have done a full re-initialise _since_ the software upgrade

I think Sky('s supplier) will fix it eventually.

Meantime, the advice has to be:
    Reinitialise the disk ("full system reset") at least once after the software update.
    Never switch off the power unless you really have to (UPS?).
    Copy anything important to videotape or similar as soon as possible.

(My guess as to what is happening is that when you record, entry points to the encrypted data stream are noted every 1024 seconds (17m4s). When you (re)start from a certain point, the box skips through this list to the point before, then scans through the actual data stream to the exact point. It's this entry point data that is mislaid or corrupted sometimes at full restart. I suspect it's simply lost in its entirety. Because the scan through the actual data is limited to 1023 seconds, you just start at 17 minutes every time.)