Major NAD D 7050 issues after updating to the latest official firmware, NAD want me to pay....

mrk1283

I posted this on reddit but felt it worth sharing here too as I await a few days to see what NAD's final repsonse is and I can then decide how to proceed based on any advice.

Where do I begin?

I bought a NAD D 7050 for my office setup 5 years ago as an upgrade from the D 3020 as I wanted a bit more power output for both headphones and speakers. It has been great until year number 4 when small niggles started to be apparent. Things like the top LED became dim like it did on the 3020, the front panel OELD display had screen burn even though the display turns off after 3 minutes of no user input (no alt dimming option with this model like on later models).

Most recently I had bluetooth connection issues with my phone so looked on NAD's website and saw a firmware update was available and was a couple versions newer than my current version. I must add that the latest firmware was dated 2018. I updated following instructions which went smoothly and I was back up and running.
Immediately I noticed some big changes.

The remote no longer worked, changing the IR channel in the NAD app didn't help, nor did a factory reset.
When audio starts to play from the speakers there is a very faint pop just as audio starts. Then around 30s after audio stops, the same pop can be heard from the speakers. This is consistent and can be replicated every time and I was using the USB input from PC for this test. This only started after the firmware update.

Electrical buzzing could also be heard at random intermittent intervals throughout the day when a USB device was plugged into the USB-A port on the back. This is not firmware related but something I noticed crop up in recent months out of the blue.

Another issue is that on occasion if I turn the volume dial slowly, the numbers jump multiple digits instead of single digits, and on rare occasions the volume will adjust itself until it's maxed out or fully minimised until I touch the volume knob and it stops. This issue is not common but happens enough through the months that I take note.

After the firmware update broke the two above features I decided enough was enough and contacted Sevenoaks AV where I bought the unit as they are an authorised NAD dealer and would be able to advise and send the unit to NAD for investigation.

NAD have today come back to them and given their assessment verdict. I will update this post with a copy paste of their email to Sevenoaks once I have been forwarded this but what Sevenoaks have said to me on the phone reading the email out is as follows:

1: No issue found with the volume knob adjustment.(this was reported as intermittent so chances are in one test session they may not have seen the issue at that time)

2: The top LED being dim can be fixed with a new LED/front panel.

3: The front OELD screen burn is fixed by replacing the front panel.

4: No issue found with audio pops/crackles when powering unit on or off and no issue found when changing sources. Nevertheless they think there's a fault with the mainboard which will need to be replaced.(I stated the pop is only audible through speaker outputs just as audio starts to play and also around 30s after it stops)

5: The remote not working will need a new mainboard replacement too, their alternative recommendation is that I use the NAD app on my phone. This response is complete mind blowing. The app is crap for starters not even managing a 3 stars rating on the app store, and it often fails to connect to the amp needed an app restart to fix.

They estimate a bill for repairs of over £450.

As you can imagine I am quite furious by this. The main issues I had which forced me to send it in was caused by the firmware update. It sounds like they know there's an issue with the mainboard/firmware combo but want the customer to pay to fix it. I can live with a dim display and put up with a weird volume dial every now and then but I need a working remote and don't want popping clicks when music starts and stops. Even though the unit is out of warranty it is not my fault that their official firmware has caused an issue so as far as I can reasonably see, it should be NAD that fixes this or am I being unreasonable here?
Any advice would be really appreciated!

I also raised a support ticket with NAD online and today they responded by saying I should make sure I have the latest official firmware installed. I stopped reading at this point as it highlights to me that the person who responded to my ticket -- containing the same info as in this post-- did not read it at all else they'd already know that I was on the latest firmware and the biggest issues are caused by it.

So yeah I am at a loss for the moment, just waiting to see the outcome of Sevenoaks' conversation with NAD service rep but I understand that Sevenoaks cannot do anything beyond this now so unless NAD decide to fix it by reverting firmware or replacing the mainboard, I don't know what else action I can take?

rlind

Novice Member
I had several issues with mine, OLED screen burn is one of them.This was likely caused by the amp freezing with display on, I only discovered this the next day.

Another issue is that the rubber on the outside have become very very sticky, something I have been able to fix with a lot of scrubbing using ISO propanol but I fear this problem will come back with time.

Also the dim top LED.

Until these problems occurred I’ve been happy with the product for several years.

mrk1283

I had several issues with mine, OLED screen burn is one of them.This was likely caused by the amp freezing with display on, I only discovered this the next day.

Another issue is that the rubber on the outside have become very very sticky, something I have been able to fix with a lot of scrubbing using ISO propanol but I fear this problem will come back with time.

Also the dim top LED.

Until these problems occurred I’ve been happy with the product for several years.

Yeah this seems to be the common range off issue that come up with age and there's no way to know unless you have or know someone with one of this age but these Inky came out a few years ago and are now EOL so unlikely there will be new buyers, I upgraded to the 3045 though and all of the issues appear to be resolved, the display dims and always turns off after few mins no user input even if there's music playing which is good.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom